Recent 5 star busts. Just QB’s
  • Jeff Driskel, Florida
  • John Brantley, Florida
  • Russell Shepard, LSU
  • Garrett Gilbert, Texas
  • Dayne Crist, Notre Dame
  • Ryan Perrilloux, LSU
  • Mitch Mustain, Arkansas
I do agree most stars really don't matter and it's hard to judge a guy in high school vs how he can do at the college level.

Because he played against mediocre competition in a spread system. And no his camp reviews were not stellar at all. And yes days Wolf outplayed him. Just because he was highly recruited does not = success. There is a long list of 4-5 star recruits that flame out at all positions. I posited the article on USC is a thread on how “stars” are determined.
Yep I think Mark was one of the early ones to call out Mertz saying the offense he played in high school did not fit at UW.

I've admitted I got dragged in by the hype. But, I just don't see how a guy can have the skills, make the passes, and now can't hit a barn door or even hand off. I think it's between his ears. And, I think this coaching staff has a lot to do with it.

I see all your points. I agree with a lot of them. And, well, I disagree somewhat about Mertz. I agree he's playing rotten, but I think at least some of the reasons are coaching.

Is he a stud QB now - NO. Should he have been, I think so. At least a little better than what we've had. Something has screwed this up.
Sadly most of us fans get suckered in by media hype by stars.

But is that on the coaching staff and not being able to recurit talent?
Every program has talent that does not develop, see Clemson 2021. People forget that Jon Taylor was a 3 star recruit who only had an offer from Harvard before UW offered, the list is long with kids like that.

Every program has talent that does not develop, see Clemson 2021. People forget that Jon Taylor was a 3 star recruit who only had an offer from Harvard before UW offered, the list is long with kids like that.
But does UW rely to much on in state talent.

This is not a defense of Chryst, the staff or the program overall because yes there are issues this year.

Prior to 2020 which was an outlier year due to Covid, not an excuse just reality especially in the B1G PC's record at UW:
  • 52-16
  • 3 NY 6 Bowls

There are more than a few programs who would walk on hot coals to have that success. Just sayin yeah there are issues but its not like Armageddon

This is not a defense of Chryst, the staff or the program overall because yes there are issues this year.

Prior to 2020 which was an outlier year due to Covid, not an excuse just reality especially in the B1G PC's record at UW:
  • 52-16
  • 3 NY 6 Bowls

There are more than a few programs who would walk on hot coals to have that success. Just sayin yeah there are issues but its not like Armageddon

You're absolutely right.

If you just look at wins and losses. But, what Big Time teams did we beat? We beat up on a horrible West B1G and feasted on an unferocious early season. I don't believe we even got close in the B1G Championship games.

Yup, we got spoiled.

This week will show a lot. Bounce back against Big Blue and we can salvage the season. If they don't bounce back against Big Blue, it isn't going to be easy to get the 6 wins to go bowling. And, that is the sign Armageddon is upon us

You're absolutely right.

If you just look at wins and losses. But, what Big Time teams did we beat? We beat up on a horrible West B1G and feasted on an unferocious early season. I don't believe we even got close in the B1G Championship games.

Yup, we got spoiled.

This week will show a lot. Bounce back against Big Blue and we can salvage the season. If they don't bounce back against Big Blue, it isn't going to be easy to get the 6 wins to go bowling. And, that is the sign Armageddon is upon us
Lost by 6 to OSU in B1G title game and beat Miami in Orange Bowl. You play who you play. The Rose Bowl we win if we don’t fumble a punt. 6 wins are a lock please

At the time we played them, I wouldn't call Miami or Oregon world beaters.

But, I'll admit, I'm a swiftly changing high and low tide while you're a calm sea. Even if I don't agree, I do appreciate your points and their even keel.

Go Bucky. I know we agree on that.

Back