Tough Decisions: Keep, Cut, or Restructure?

Bulaga if cut right at start of league year would save team only about $2.6 million so don't know if he's worth cutting if he can play. If healthy he's by far a better choice then Spriggs. Can you find a anything better for the extra $2.6 million?

GBP4ever, I agree that BB is the best RT we have on this team. But in a close second, in my opinion, is Kyle Murphy. Spriggs is more a LT, do not like him playing RT (only in a pinch). I do not think BB will be back until October, with rehab of the ACL and playing to a point where he can displace KM. So playing along with Terranimals original rules, he would be the player I cut. Might resign him later in the season if we need help at that position.

My bad if BB is out until Oct, the only way he can be cut is an injury settlement release

I am guessing on BB return date, on taking a year. I have no formal info on his medical return.

That may be what Pettine likes but don’t we also need to see what MM pushes for in the D? I can see him pushing Pettine to use certain formations based on his own preferences, which would be dumb but quite in character for MM
He allowed Capers free reign so I'm hoping that's his tact with Pettine. If MM hired this man to do a job, he better let him do it.

I am going to go draft a pass rusher and WR in this draft. Letting Matthews go is a no brainer to me. He plays in spurts and ends up hurt half the time. Like others I can't justify Cobb anymore.

Nelson should stay on a redone deal with lots of incentives, if he comes back fully then they kick in and he gets paid very well. If not no big deal.

(1) I think Bulaga stays, but may start the season on PUP. Letting him go saves $5.15M against the cap, with a cost of $3.2M of dead money on the 2018 cap. Despite the $5.15M in savings, I'd still be willing to keep him, for now. Spriggs should be ok to go by TC, and Murphy was playing pretty well before he went down on IR. The injuries at OT this last season were just stupid. No team could have overcome that many injuries at one position. Packers were darn lucky that McCray turned out to be as versatile as he was.

(2) I think they keep Matthews, but only if he structures with an extension (2 yrs?) to get his annual cap cost in the $5M range. Then I suggest they move him back to ILB where he had his last pro-bowl worthy year (2014), in which he put up his 3rd best year in sacks (11), and 2nd best year in tackles (61), while he also chipped in 9 PDF, 1 INT, and 2 FF. He no longer can convert speed to power as an edge rusher, which means he's a one-trick-pony as only a speed rusher and can be easily neutralized.

(3) I would offer Jordy a restructure/extension as well (1 or 2 years) to cut his cap number in half. Then I'd move him to the slot where he played so effectively in his comeback year in 2016. He may not have long speed anymore but he's a big/strong/savy presence from the slot, and AR always looks for him. In 2017 he was on a personal best pace in nearly all categories until AR went down with injury. He can still play, IMO, and he wants to be in GB with his boy AR. He'd being more willing to make a restructure deal than would Cobb, also IMO.

(4) With Cobb I would try to trade first, and if not, then cut. Cutting him saves $9.5M on the 2018 cap, with a cost of $3.25M in dead money. I just don't see him with the same kind of explosiveness he had in his first few years, and he's mainy a slot receiver. With Jordy, and maybe Montgomery, taking more snaps from the slot, do they really need another (overpaid) slot receiver? He's not a #1 nor a #2, but he's being paid like one.

(1) Jordy and Cobb I would cut. I would take the ~$20M in cap savings to sign one FA WR (Richardson, Pryor, Landry, Robinson) and one FA TE (ASJ, Eifert). With Rodgers at QB the selling of FA WRs and TEs to play in Green Bay should be easier/cheaper than other positions. Draft a WR in round 2 and TE in round 3. That would leave a WR combo of Adams/Pryor/D2/Clark/Davis with TE combo of ASF/D3 and one of Kendrick/Rodgers plus, I suspect, change left over.

(2) Bulaga I keep. OL is suspect and it Spriggs/Murphy/McCary/Patrick fail we have him as insurance + he is still < 30. If they shine I think Bulaga could be a viable trade candidate.

(3) Matthews I keep. Short on pass rushers and he still can do that better than anyone we currently have. Besides, extending him would be expensive so I'd play out the last year as is.

Did you mean you cut Jordy and restructure Cobb?

No, I meant within the structure of this game - where we have to cut one, restructure one, and keep one as is - I'd cut Cobb and restructure Jordy, despite the fact that I think Cobb has more left athletically and in his legs than Jordy.

Outside the confines of this thought exercise, I think you have to try to restructure them both. I wouldn't want to lose either with so little in the cupboard behind them.

Back