Tough Decisions: Keep, Cut, or Restructure?

Terranimal

Reaction score
Gutey has some tough decisions to make if he is to take the team forward.

Bulaga, Matthews, Cobb, and Nelson are all getting older. Speculation is Bulaga is safe for now because no one to replace him is on the roster... Yet.

So let's concentrate on the other 3 and their high salaries. Originally when heard this on radio over lunch yesterday the rules were can only keep one, have to cut one, and restructure one.

So will tweak that rule a little bit....Here u can make more then one cut, or restructure more then one. But either way have to make at least one cut and have the option of keeping one player and salary as is....

Good luck and look forward to your thoughts and reasoning :)

OK... I am cutting Cobb and Matthews and not restructuring Jordy this yr. Cobb is a slot guy that might play some wildcat. I can shift Monty into that role and maybe get more a more versatile player for less buck.

Matthews is old in the tooth folks.. he looks great in commercials but can't play 3 downs for 4 qtrs. Much better options in this draft with better upside. Thanks Clay it's been fun see ya !

Nelson is slowing down etc. However GB in the past with DD being an example has let players like this have a last big yr pay wise. Jordy earned more than the 2 I cut. Let's have a little White Lightning on 2018 !

Bulaga has to wait until OTA. See who we bring in. If he would restructure I would 100% bring him back in 18 for quality depth or to start the yr at RT. OL is hard to find and I think he might have a year or 2 in the tank.

Matthews is my first cut. Like Mark said he's old and can't stay on the field. Not worth the money. I am a little torn on both WR. If they would restructure I want both back but if not I might lean toward cutting Cobb only because Rodgers uses Jordy as a security blanket on 3rd down and in the Red zone.

First, I don't want to cut any of the three. But I will play by the rules.

I'm keeping Cobb at his contract. I know he's underperformed, but he's the youngest of the three and while Hundley was QB Cobb kept busting his butt out there. He is Aaron's best scramble outlet.

I'm restructuring CMIII. He's the only guy on defense who plays with any 'nasty' to him. He still makes plays and with the new DC I can't see letting him walk. I think Pettine will put him in position to be effective and his attitude is needed on a defense that has played soft for years.

So, by rule, I have to let one of my favorites go. Sorry Jordy, but you didn't/couldn't produce anything down the stretch. I know Hundley was the alleged QB, but man you really struggled the last quarter of the season. Plus, you are the oldest of the three. I don't want to, would rather restructure, but the title of the thread is Tough Decisions.

I cut Cobb and restructure Jordy. Cobb gets open and Jordy doesn’t. Cobb is younger. I think Jordy is more or less done. So why keep him? Leap of faith that he and AR have redzone magic. We need WR and TE to move us down the field but he and Aaron have that psychic connection and scoring TDs is the name of the game.

That means I keep Matthews as is. That also doesn’t feel right but mother of god do we need all the talent on D we can get, and he’s still talent with positional versatility at LB. Needing a smart player in the middle don’t be surprised if Pettine moves him around off the line. Don’t get me wrong, we need to draft a proper OLB/DE if we’re sticking with the 3-4 base but I don’t see the value in dumping a guy who got 7.5 sacks in a very deficient defense.

He doesn't use one base per say... tends to use more 4-3 under than 3-4 if he can. That's where he and Rex part company.

So would one of the stand up OLBs play an elephant-type position on the strong side of the alignment? I assume that’d be Matthews because Perry would be with his hand down on the other side

Cap hits, 2018: Base, Signing Bonus, Incentives, Total - Dead Cap if cut

Name Base Salary Signing Bonus Incentives Total Dead Cap

Nelson $9.25 Mill $2.3 Mill $968,750 $12,518,750 $2.3 Mill
Matthews $10.4 Mill 0 $968,750 $12,518,750 0
Cobb $8.6 Mill $3.25 Mill $868,750 $12,718,750 $3.25 Mill
Bulaga $5.85 Mill $1.5 Mill $453,125 $7,903,125 $3.20 Mill

The combined cap hit, for the four of them, if cut, is $8.75 Mill. If they stay on the roster, their combined salaries equal over 27% of the assumed cap. Add in Rodgers cap, and a couple of others, and there's not going to be a lot of room for adding too many free agents of value. Cut all four, and you gain over $18 mill in cap space, but divide that by 4, and we're only talking $4.5 mill per replacement player.

Now, if the Packers win the battle with Martellus Bennett, and get their advanced money back, that would give them $4.2 Mill additional cap space. At this point, winning this battle is about 50/50, and by the time they go through appeals, we're going to be past the real FA signings.

This all has to play into the decision making process. Here's a link to cap information for those interested.

Packers 2018 Cap

So would one of the stand up OLBs play an elephant-type position on the strong side of the alignment? I assume that’d be Matthews because Perry would be with his hand down on the other side
Yes... he loves the 250 to 255 quick OLB that can transition to DE. Perry fits perfect.It's why I target Landry early in the draft. Also they will be looking for those 6'1 to 6'2 CB that play physical man press.

Yes... he loves the 250 to 255 quick OLB that can transition to DE. Perry fits perfect.It's why I target Landry early in the draft. Also they will be looking for those 6'1 to 6'2 CB that play physical man press.

That may be what Pettine likes but don’t we also need to see what MM pushes for in the D? I can see him pushing Pettine to use certain formations based on his own preferences, which would be dumb but quite in character for MM

Back