Tough Decisions: Keep, Cut, or Restructure?

I'm kinda in Dubz camp. I'm not cutting anyone before camp. That said, I'll play by the rules.

Cut - Cobb. Don't want to do this but it's the rule. I can find slot type guys more easily, and Jordy has been effective in the slot working the middle of the field in the past. Monty might be another option.

Restructure - Matthews. I'm thinking Pettine might find some better ways to use him. He's still got some speed and flexibility but some of the power and explosion on the edge is gone. I move him inside and let him blitz from new spots on the field. Plus I think he still has a little coverage ability - at least more than Ryan. Let's see if Pettine can find a way to get another year or two out of him as a rotational player - both inside and outside.

Keep - Nelson. As someone else suggested, I'm giving him a chance to finish a great career on a positive note. See if AR coming back makes him more effective. Use him in the slot more when they go 3 or 4 wide. I also don't want to move any CAP forward on an older guy either. He gets his last year's salary - then off into the sunset.

Cobb is first out the door. Had a big year his contract year got big deal and has not come close to living up to it since then. Montgomery is cheaper and younger and can fill his role.

Matthews I am willing to keep him but he has to take a pay cut but can earn back the money thru incentives. He does not take that offer he's out the door.

Nelson I am keeping. He is Rodgers security blanket and I think he wants to try to have one more year with Rodgers to call it a career.

Nelson $9.25 Mill $2.3 Mill $968,750 $12,518,750 $2.3 Mill
Matthews $10.4 Mill 0 $968,750 $12,518,750 0
Cobb $8.6 Mill $3.25 Mill $868,750 $12,718,750 $3.25 Mill
Bulaga $5.85 Mill $1.5 Mill $453,125 $7,903,125 $3.20 Mill

This is part of the information needed, what FA are going to be reasonable available, who is available in the draft, what is the expectation of the IR players we currently have... more questions than answers at this time.

With the snap shot of info I currently have...I cut Bulaga, I am still in for the SB win. Love BB when he is healthy, he just isn't healthy often enough, need 19 games. I believe that Murphy with support from Spriggs can man this position.
Give Matthew one more year, and draft two OLB this year.
I would alter JN contract.
I let Cobb play out his deal.

I cut Cobb and Matthews. This would give us the money to sign a solid CB in FA, maybe another solid FA, and draft an OLB in the draft.

Bulaga, I see if I can get him for cheaper; otherwise, I let him go.

Jordy, I keep for AR. And as someone said, they score TDs together. Will be worth it for that alone.

I really don't see losing Cobb or Matthews affecting this team as long as we add FAs and use the players we have more effectively. They are a big waste of money at this point.

Also they will be looking for those 6'1 to 6'2 CB that play physical man press.

which is why i scratch my head every time i see mock drafts that have us picking some 5'10" cb in the early rounds.

Just a thought here. If Gutekunst intends revamping the team, including the coaching staff, the easiest way to get rid of McCarthy is by standing pat with these four guys, and letting them play out their contracts. It would clear a ton of cap room for 2019, and he could bring in someone new, to change their direction.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying it could happen, if Gutekunst wants to get rid of this three headed monster situation he's living with now, based on Murphy's reporting system.

Thanks everyone! :)

Ideally would restructure all 4 if we could as AR gives everyone of them the best shot at possible SB not named Brady.

But that wasn't the rules.

I cut Cobb...smallish and now slower WR can be replaced. We have a stable of young and taller WR options here and as ppl said here and elsewhere, Monty might be the best option here.

Would like to restructure both CM3 and Nelson. Both have made their money and not as they were, also don't want to leave GB.

Also we can't have all young guys and these 2 are the older vets we have discussed missing on the team and believe both are still productive.

See a lot here would cut Matthews. I would trade him before cutting him just to make sure he doesn't go to another NFC North team like Lang and Sitton did. Also who else is a bonafide pass rusher?

Thanks everyone! :)

Ideally would restructure all 4 if we could as AR gives everyone of them the best shot at possible SB not named Brady.

But that wasn't the rules.

I cut Cobb...smallish and now slower WR can be replaced. We have a stable of young and taller WR options here and as ppl said here and elsewhere, Monty might be the best option here.

Would like to restructure both CM3 and Nelson. Both have made their money and not as they were, also don't want to leave GB.

Also we can't have all young guys and these 2 are the older vets we have discussed missing on the team and believe both are still productive.

See a lot here would cut Matthews. I would trade him before cutting him just to make sure he doesn't go to another NFC North team like Lang and Sitton did. Also who else is a bonafide pass rusher?

Who will trade for Matthews at 12 million a year for a guy who has last some steps? I don't think you would find anyone in the league who would give up draft picks. They would want to be like GB get him at a lesser value.

Terranimal

I would not argue with you on Matthew and Nelson, but I will differ on Cobb. I Agree that Cobb has lost 1/2 of step and Monty/Nelson could backfill in the slot. But , Cobb is very universal, Kick and punt returns, slot receiver, running back, and I believe in a pinch could be a QB, plus he is only 28. I would address his value in the next off season, for sure.

What does BB provide? Maybe 8 to 12 games a year, maybe, maybe not. BB missed three games earlier this season with an ankle injury and tore his ACL in the right knee. He was sidelined for the entire 2013 season after tearing the ACL in his left knee.

Back