Thompson: "We value draft and development, we value free agency"

you keep repeating that. please show me any kind of proof that this anything more than your opinion. and explain to me why - if that is true - the bears could contact trevathan's agent and work out the deal 2-3 weeks ago but the packers could not.
Players know where they want to play. They also have a number in mind to make it work. If the team and number match...done deal.

Why on earth would Travathan say that after the deal was done? He would gain no leverage after the fact. That makes no sense to me. :confused:

But, then again, professional athletes and their negotiations are absolute cra) to me!
He was asked a question. He answered it

Prepare to explode. Da Bears double dip in forum favorite UFA ILBs, both on affordable contracts:

Rotoworld:

At least we'll get to make him and Trev look like busts twice this season. ;)

Could be an interesting signing. One site said he was rated as the #1 linebacker in the league against the run, and #21 overall against the pass. Not a bad combination.

also, if i remember correctly, a couple years ago there was a free agent that thompson supposedly thought he had an agreement with and then he woke up the next day only to find that said free agent signed with someone else. deals are never "done" untile they are signed. the bears may have believed they had an agreement in principle 2-3 weeks ago, but thompson still had a chance to make the deal right right up until the contract was signed. the fact tat he made zero effort at all is what is bothering most of us.

Teams know the market. It's no secret what the asking number is and I'm confident that Thompson knew what the number or the range was. If he's not comfortable with it he's not making a move

... I don't know why I thought this year would be any different. ...

i know why. there are a couple of very good reasons.

• his own head coach called him out publicly for not making an effort to fill the obvious holes.
  • he himself said that he "values free agency", leading the ever-hopeful to believe maybe he would actually do something this year
  • the packers have come so close to making a return trip to the super bowl in the past few seasons and it just seems like they need a player or two to get over the hump.
  • it is obvious to everyone that there are a couple of big holes to fill and there does not appear to be anyone in the draft to fill those holes.
i thought this year would be different too. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

If you look at the contract structure for Teavathon, about 50% of the total value is guaranteed. That is not something this organization does on a regular basis. Another reason why there was no interest

Casey Hayward to the Chargers 3 years 15.3 million dollars. Not a bad deal for him. Good for him.

Casey Hayward to the Chargers 3 years 15.3 million dollars. Not a bad deal for him. Good for him.
Fine deal for him.

I was kinda hoping he'd get an even bigger deal. 5.1M avg would've netted us a 5th round comp pick this year. I hope it stays the same.

Why on earth would Travathan say that after the deal was done? He would gain no leverage after the fact. That makes no sense to me. :confused:

But, then again, professional athletes and their negotiations are absolute cra) to me!

I don't get that either. I can't believe this kind of talk is endearing himself to his new teammates either. cra)

Could be an interesting signing. One site said he was rated as the #1 linebacker in the league against the run, and #21 overall against the pass. Not a bad combination.

Isn't our issue at ILB covering TEs and RBs?

Back