Thompson: "We value draft and development, we value free agency"

Dubz, you like Jake Ryan better than Travathan? Not trying to be a wise guy here. Seriously wondering if you think Ryan will be that good? I hope so. I still think ILB is one of the biggest needs this team has and this draft doesn't look to be that great for that particular need.
I think he's got a shot to be better, YES. RB stated it well in the above post. Ryan's numbers are favorable to Travathan in his rookie year and IIRC his combine numbers too. I really have a feeling we will look back at getting Ryan in the fourth round as a steal. He has great character also. Looking forward to his second year jump. He's also about $5M cheaper!

I think he's got a shot to be better, YES. RB stated it well in the above post. Ryan's numbers are favorable to Travathan in his rookie year and IIRC his combine numbers too. I really have a feeling we will look back at getting Ryan in the fourth round as a steal. He has great character also. Looking forward to his second year jump. He's also about $5M cheaper!

Yes, Trevathan had pretty bad combine numbers. He ran a 4.82 40 and was considered too small for the position. He definitely blossomed into a solid ILB despite those numbers. I think Ryan can do it too.

Yes, Trevathan had pretty bad combine numbers. He ran a 4.82 40 and was considered too small for the position. He definitely blossomed into a solid ILB despite those numbers. I think Ryan can do it too.
I wonder if Travathan blossomed because the defense around him was so good? I wish Ted and Co., would put a great defense around Ryan. We'll see. It's a great draft to go after good DL's. That should help. Thanks for your replies guys.

I wonder if Travathan blossomed because the defense around him was so good? I wish Ted and Co., would put a great defense around Ryan. We'll see. It's a great draft to go after good DL's. That should help. Thanks for your replies guys.

Right now Ryan needs to show he is more then just a ST's player. Right now that's all he was who was pushed into a starting role due to injuries and poor play by others in front of him. Lets see if the kid can even win the starting job before we declare him the next big thing.

Right now Ryan needs to show he is more then just a ST's player. Right now that's all he was who was pushed into a starting role due to injuries and poor play by others in front of him. Lets see if the kid can even win the starting job before we declare him the next big thing.
I agree and still feel it's a position of weakness. The weird thing about Ted's lack of filling the position with top flight players is the importance of the role of linebackers in the 3-4 scheme. Just plain weird to me how the guy operates. BUT there's a reason he has the job and I don't. I hope he makes my anti-Ted posts look really dumb this year by building an unbeatable SB champion! :D

I agree and still feel it's a position of weakness. The weird thing about Ted's lack of filling the position with top flight players is the importance of the role of linebackers in the 3-4 scheme. Just plain weird to me how the guy operates. BUT there's a reason he has the job and I don't. I hope he makes my anti-Ted posts look really dumb this year by building an unbeatable SB champion! :D

I'm sure there are many reasons. However, one of them is NOT that you've shown yourself any less qualified. You just chose to go in a different direction years ago.

I'm sure there are many reasons. However, one of them is NOT that you've shown yourself any less qualified. You just chose to go in a different direction years ago.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. TT is plenty qualified. We are only qualified to question him in hindsight but hindsight is 20/20. Is he perfect in his job? No but he is top 5 in my opinion. He continually puts a very good team on the field and this year will be no different.

Can't argue with anything you say except the first sentence. Prove to me that Wolfman couldn't have been just a good a GM, and I'll accept that sentence, too.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. TT is plenty qualified. We are only qualified to question him in hindsight but hindsight is 20/20. Is he perfect in his job? No but he is top 5 in my opinion. He continually puts a very good team on the field and this year will be no different.

I agree, especially with the word "continually". A lot of teams have a good year here and there, but the Packers have been in the playoffs for almost all of his time with the team. We've won a Super Bowl, were a fluke play or two away from being in another one and had a 15-1 season in addition to that. Unless we have significant injuries, we'll likely be in the playoffs again in 2016 with a good chance at going to the Super Bowl.

Also, we are usually picking near the bottom of every round in the draft almost every year.

Yes, he doesn't make a big splash in free agency very often but he doesn't have to because he has built a solid contender using the draft and rookie free agents. I prefer this to other teams that are signing the mega-deal only to cut that player in a year or two because the player isn't worth the contract. When he has signed a big-name free agent, it has usually turned out to be a good value and they play out the contract like Peppers and Woodson.

Can't argue with anything you say except the first sentence. Prove to me that Wolfman couldn't have been just a good a GM, and I'll accept that sentence, too.

The only way to prove it would be to build a time machine and somehow have Wolfman hired instead of TT and then be able to compare his results with the ones that actually occurred. Maybe we'll just have to live with your lack of acceptance, lol.

Back