Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

Kind of late on this one, I think. They've already caused their own turmoil and dysfunctional condition. If I'm a GM candidate, and I'm seeing McCarthy hiring coaches, I'm not a bit happy about them already undermining me before I get the job. Then, listening to comments by McCarthy, about he likes them or leaves....

Sorry! I just lost interest in being the GM in Green Bay. They have the direction wrong. You hire from top down, not the opposite way.

TW, that's why I say its so important to look at all the tidbits coming out. You're spot on and that's what makes me think they already know which way the wind blows. They have to. No way MM is hiring like this without an understanding of who is going to be the next GM. Then again, maybe it's the Pittsburgh Macho that gives him the gusto to move forward. He has to have the ok from someone though.

What I find interesting is that he's obviously approving the new hire. That means he has autonomy over that option. If he has that much latitude, I'd guess he had the same authority with field personnel. He would probably have been responsible for choosing who stayed, and who was sent packing.

That adds to the question as to who was pulling the strings on player acquisitions? Was it really Thompson, or was McCarthy telling him who he wanted, and Thompson made it happen? Or... maybe... McCarthy told them what he wanted, Thompson looked for them, and Ball decided whether or not they came to GB (free agents) based on his bean counting expertise?

I wish I knew what the exact level of responsibility and authority everyone had.

What I find interesting is that he's obviously approving the new hire. That means he has autonomy over that option. If he has that much latitude, I'd guess he had the same authority with field personnel. He would probably have been responsible for choosing who stayed, and who was sent packing.

That adds to the question as to who was pulling the strings on player acquisitions? Was it really Thompson, or was McCarthy telling him who he wanted, and Thompson made it happen? Or... maybe... McCarthy told them what he wanted, Thompson looked for them, and Ball decided whether or not they came to GB (free agents) based on his bean counting expertise?

I wish I knew what the exact level of responsibility and authority everyone had.

It sure makes you wonder as it's unfolding. I think you touched on it in shout where you talked about how MM could survive a purge. His connection with Murphy and so forth. I believe Mark even alluded to it but something just seems odd about the whole process. Then again, I'm odd and it could just be me.

I'll agree with it being odd, but not you being odd. LOL

I find this statement confusing. MM said that he would be hiring coaches. Nothing has changed. MM did not say that he would be involved in the interview for the new GM. If I'm not mistaken when the 49ers changed HC and GM, they hired Shanahan first and then hired Lynch. Granted it was an owner's decision, but they obviously wanted to see if the HC and the GM could work together.

I find this statement confusing. MM said that he would be hiring coaches. Nothing has changed. MM did not say that he would be involved in the interview for the new GM. If I'm not mistaken when the 49ers changed HC and GM, they hired Shanahan first and then hired Lynch. Granted it was an owner's decision, but they obviously wanted to see if the HC and the GM could work together.

I believe, in his presser, MM acknowledged being a part of the process. He didn't say how much involved he would be but I do believe he says he has input.

I could MM say that he would like some say in the off-season on FA's to get and the final 53. As Bill Parcells said if you expect me to cook I should at least get to help shop for the groceries.

I could MM say that he would like some say in the off-season on FA's to get and the final 53. As Bill Parcells said if you expect me to cook I should at least get to help shop for the groceries.

But just like in the next Top Chef, you gotta be able to perform, at a high level, with the ingredients you've been given. I'm not saying MM hasn't performed at a high level but at some point the excuses need to stop.

MM did sit in on interviews the other day. So they are involving on the process.

All the dissatisfaction over the Dorsey miss can be laid to rest, we already have that playoff defense he assembled in KC.

Back