Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

So any thoughts that the Packers thought Texans were not going let Gutekunst out of the building so made him GM today

I'm good with Gutekunst. Hopefully he'll be more active in terms of FA, but nothing is guaranteed.

If Wolf stays, the front office should be solid. The question is, what happens next, and how it plays out when it comes to next year's team from a defensive point of view. Lots of unanswered questions, but they need to be answered quickly, because as soon as they open up the gates on FA, the Packers should be ready to move, if that's what they want.

So far I've heard reports that Wolf is pissed and is leaving and the next I hear that he is getting a promotion. Wild speculation still going on.

Ron Wolf on his son not getting job.

"At least he had the opportunity to interview for it," Ron Wolf told ESPN on Sunday night in a phone interview from his home in Florida. "Obviously the people up there don't think he's worthy or they would've hired him. End of discussion."

Ron Wolf on his son not getting job.

"At least he had the opportunity to interview for it," Ron Wolf told ESPN on Sunday night in a phone interview from his home in Florida. "Obviously the people up there don't think he's worthy or they would've hired him. End of discussion."
I think Ron was being honest. What he said was absolute truth. People will spin it to fit their narrative, but right now at 35 years of age Eliot is not worthy of the position. Doesn't mean he won't be in 5 years (which is the length of Gute's contract).
The strength of the Packers philosophy is draft and develop, Gute was in charge of college scouting.
We HOPE he will dabble in FA to augment the roster. EWolf was top dog in Pro Player scouting. Hope EWolf stays and plays a part in veteran acquisitions. Gute will need him if the Pack is going to positively move forward.
I know we're stuck with him for 2018, but MM has to win AND advance in playoffs to stay longer.

Wow, sounds like some sports forum posters - 'end of discussion', 'case closed', game over', 'period', et. al. Maybe Wolf was deemed worthy, but Gute was 'worthier'? Maybe Wold wanted too much, figuring his name was worth it? Who knows if he just wasn't deemed worthy?

Back