Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

New GM Brian Gutekunst has made Eliot Wolf an offer to be his "right-hand man," but that he knows Wolf will have other opportunities and he "wouldn't hold him back."

New GM Brian Gutekunst has made Eliot Wolf an offer to be his "right-hand man," but that he knows Wolf will have other opportunities and he "wouldn't hold him back."

Kind of like saying; "Don't let the door hit you in the ass!," and smiling while you say it.

Kind of like saying; "Don't let the door hit you in the ass!," and smiling while you say it.

really? giving him a raise and a promotion and telling him that you won't block other teams' access if he wants to interview elsewhere is your idea of saying; "don't let the door hit you in the ass!".

really? giving him a raise and a promotion and telling him that you won't block other teams' access if he wants to interview elsewhere is your idea of saying; "don't let the door hit you in the ass!".

Yes. A promotion that's just adding more work to your plate, and a nominal raise means that they want to show the world that they really want you to stay. They may actually mean it. But, for Wolf, it's a dead end street, and this job change they offered, is probably the end of the line as to where he can go with the Packers.

If you read what his Dad said, it was a curt statement that pretty much pointed to them severing the Wolf connection, by what happened. Rest assured, it's going to change the dynamics a great deal.

Wolf will leave. It might not be tomorrow, but it will be as soon as he's offered a job that he feels will offer him opportunities.

I'm not judging this as good or bad, I just know human nature.

I would tend to agree Wolf will leave. May not be this year but he has no future in Green Bay. Browns want him and I still think the Raiders make a run. Honestly so many teams could use him as a Ex VP of player development etc it won't take long.

Only problem with Raiders is Gruden already dilutes the influence of the FO. McKenzie will have enough of a hard time getting his way I think, nevermind what Wolf would be able to do.

i have no doubt that he will leave either. but we can only have one gm. i think the offer to wolf was more than just lip service and it's clear that they want him to stay. we have no way of knowing whether gutekunst or wolf was the better choice, but if you look at who had more interviews elsewhere over the past couple years, i think it was gutekunst.

as for severing the wolf connection? from packers.com: "Gutekunst said. “I want to thank Ron Wolf for giving me my first opportunity with the Packers".

I'm sure neither Elliot or Ron are particularly happy at this point. That's what happens when these decisions are made. I don't however think the relationship has grown toxic. I think they truly value EW and want him to stay. I also think they understand that maybe he feels like moving on.

I think it might actually be in his best interest to go elsewhere and make a name for himself away from Green Bay. Let's remember how young he still is. I'm sure his age and the fact he's never worked anywhere but GB hasn't helped him in other interviews. I think he'd be best served to take a different, perhaps lesser job with another organization. That said, if BG wants him to stay, he must feel that he's valuable to the organization.

Do we know what players Elliot Wolf scouted that turn3d out as good picks?

sorry it took so long to answer this. i missed it until i was going through the entire thread one more time. elliot wolf was responsible for scouting pro players. he did not scout college players. so the answer would be yes, we know that he did not scout any players that turned out as good picks.

You have to wonder if Wolf thought this job was his as he has got promotion after promotion with the team and has had talk for last few years that he's the guy to replace Ted. Maybe he bought into it all and did think that this job was his and when he did not get it there is now some hard feelings on his part.

Back