Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's hard to argue that the Packers made the wrong decisions with most of the guys that Rodgers mentioned. Hayward and Hyde turned out to be better players elsewhere, but they had significant issues when they were here. Cobb was productive in Dallas, but he's very injury prone and his wheels aren't the same anymore. Hindsight is 20/20. No organization gets it right all of the time, as it's often better to be a year too early than a year too late.

I think Rodgers's broader point isn't that they left, though; it's more about how they left. He felt they were disrespected on the way out, and he doesn't want the same thing to happen to him.

All of this is to say that it's really about Rodgers. It's not about Bulaga and Goode and Kumerow and the other guys he talked about. Not really, at least. It's about feeling like the franchise is setting him up to get pushed out the door. Which, based on his contract situation and the Love pick, I think any reasonable person would say that he's not wrong about. The Packers drafted Love feeling like Rodgers was close to the end; that his play had declined; that he was injury prone; that he was getting older. I'm guessing, behind the scenes, LaFleur probably had some concerns about Rodgers going forward, too. It was clear that 2022 was going to be the breaking point, so-to-speak. I get that Rodgers would be upset about that, and I also get the Packers perspective on it, too.

I think the concerns about lack of input are valid, though. A good boss solicits input from their most important employees. That isn't to say that they must follow that input, but it's important to solicit that input not only because they could have valuable feedback, but also because you want your guys to believe that you care about their perspective. Open lines of communication are important. It's not hard for Gute to give him a call and pick his brain.

At the end of the day I get both sides of this and certainly can understand where that presser came off wrong to some people.

I think one aspect of the presser that stood out for me, was that Rodgers himself said that when he did give advice on how to proceed. It seems it wasn't followed. Or something to that effect....What this tells me, is that there are lines of communication between organization and QB. However, Rodgers is upset he cannot control the narrative, his time in GB, or the roster. This is to me what everything is about.

I just listened to AR's full presser. I think he was trying to be sincere, not an ass, but he just has a way of coming off a little abrupt at times.
But his criticism of the Packers is identical to my endless complaint about the NFL. There are no real teams anymore. It's an endless churn of rent-a-players constantly moving around. No loyalty. It isn't a GB specific problem.

I just listened to AR's full presser. I think he was trying to be sincere, not an ass, but he just has a way of coming off a little abrupt at times.
But his criticism of the Packers is identical to my endless complaint about the NFL. There are no real teams anymore. It's an endless churn of rent-a-players constantly moving around. No loyalty. It isn't a GB specific problem.
The Broncos cut a guy and terminated millions in salary because he got injured working out at home rather than the club facility. Lack of loyalty allll around in the NFL.

Three words are the root cause of that.
Unrestricted
Free
Agency
Yes but in today’s NFL few elite players in their prime get to really test the market. Sign a 3 or 5 year deal and then get the tag slapped on you essentially taking free agency away. About the only league that is true to full FA is MLB. The max contract and Bird rule does hamper the NBA of some degree.

We can rehash the reasons why but the bottom line the rank and file of the league does not have the stomach to go on strike and miss a check. And truth told most owners would welcome a strike.

Like or not, believe it or not today’s NFL players are both the product and a commodity. Not ideal but it’s what we got. I realize players get cut, released and shown the door for various reasons. That presser yesterday was about his dislike for the business of football. It’s a harsh and cutthroat business. But that does not excuse an organization or any business for any lack of communication in the process when you have to make difficult decisions. Did that happen in GB? Don’t know but Brandt has mentioned the lack of communication skills in the organization.

Yes but in today’s NFL few elite players in their prime get to really test the market. Sign a 3 or 5 year deal and then get the tag slapped on you essentially taking free agency away. About the only league that is true to full FA is MLB. The max contract and Bird rule does hamper the NBA of some degree.

We can rehash the reasons why but the bottom line the rank and file of the league does not have the stomach to go on strike and miss a check. And truth told most owners would welcome a strike.

Like or not, believe it or not today’s NFL players are both the product and a commodity. Not ideal but it’s what we got. I realize players get cut, released and shown the door for various reasons. That presser yesterday was about his dislike for the business of football. It’s a harsh and cutthroat business. But that does not excuse an organization or any business for any lack of communication in the process when you have to make difficult decisions. Did that happen in GB? Don’t know but Brandt has mentioned the lack of communication skills in the organization.
My point was that players wanted free agency as the mechanism/opportunity to market themselves and (hopefully) maximize their earnings potential, and as a result, limited their loyalty to the highest bidder (for most cases).

The trade off to the players getting free agency was that players became more of a “monetary statistic” to teams who tend to treat too many of them as a ledger line item rather than as a person/player/team member.

This is what Unrestricted Free Agency brought to the NFL in 1993.

Not saying it’s bad, or it’s good. Just saying it is what it is and theirs no loyalty on either side of the issue.

Now it's being said that 2023 is still on the books but being "looked at" or "talked about" or some such. Even if we're assuming it does get wiped (which I believe it will) I still see things a whole lot differently than most of you do when it comes to all this leverage Rodgers supposedly has.

Assuming 2023 is gone and Rodgers plays out 2021, then tries to block a trade by retiring:

1) For starters, I don't believe he'll be paid. Even if the revised contract is "fully guaranteed" I won't believe it covers "player quits or retires" until I read it myself. They cannot be that stupid, especially with a man this vindictive. Even if they are that stupid, I'm pretty sure 31 other owners aren't. I'm not even sure such a thing would be legal.

2) If he retires before the 2022 season, the Packers will still hold his rights. The contract will toll until such time as he decides he wants to play again (if ever). He can retire for one year, two years, or twenty years... if/when he comes back, he is property of the Green Bay Packers for one more season.

I've said since this whole deal started (although I'm recent to this site) our best bet is trade him after this season. Maybe next season- if Love could use more time, it looks promising championship-wise, and they can go one more without anyone killing each other. Take the boatload associated with several suitors and let's move on.

I don’t know what the arrangement is and I frankly don’t think it matters. This is Rodgers last season in GB because the teams wills it. Gute confirmed the roster pain next year, they’re not doing that and keeping Rodgers.

I don’t know what the arrangement is and I frankly don’t think it matters. This is Rodgers last season in GB because the teams wills it. Gute confirmed the roster pain next year, they’re not doing that and keeping Rodgers.
It matters only if the “no trade” list is long and limits how large to pool is. Based on Gutes comments they pushed money forward so to your point financially there is little to no chance he’s here in 2022 and he’s not alone. This is the last dance and next year is a purge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back