Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question how does this effect team going forward to current players and free agents seeing ok they would not give the star MVP QB what he wanted do I want to stay/go to Green Bay?
Personally I am more concerned about FA from other organizations. GB is not an easy sell. Never had been.

Question how does this effect team going forward to current players and free agents seeing ok they would not give the star MVP QB what he wanted do I want to stay/go to Green Bay?
Current players are under contract, not much there. Free agents can go where they choose. The whole thing is a double-edged sword

Current players are under contract, not much there. Free agents can go where they choose. The whole thing is a double-edged sword
That's why I am thinking Adams the team is going to have to place the FT on him and will making him the highest paid WR in the NFL make him happy or will you have to sign him to the FT and trade him away to another team?

That's why I am thinking Adams the team is going to have to place the FT on him and will making him the highest paid WR in the NFL make him happy or will you have to sign him to the FT and trade him away to another team?

To start with - I think they should do what they need to to keep Adams here long term. That said, he has missed some games the past two years and the team arguably played better without him. "Get Tae 15 targets per game" is in the MM/AR part of the playbook, not the ML playbook. Those games he missed, that's when you saw Aaron Jones get 100 yards on the ground, 60 receiving etc. and we still have him. I don't think feeding one guy is how ML wants to run things. It's going to be a change, no question about it.

I feel sorry for Love. The kid is in a near no win situation. Many will have it against him through no fault of his own that he's replacing Rodgers. Other's will hold it against him if he does not come out and have a great year and at least make a trip to the playoffs. Only way this kid can win is if he does play at a MVP level and leads the team to a conference or Super Bowl.
What you said reminds me of how Packer Nation felt when Rodgers took over for Favre.
It seems to have worked out well (until now).

Dear Aaron,

The Packers history and legacy is what it is because they win. You know "winning isn't everything it's the only thing." Wasn't it Ron Wolf's philosophy he would rather move on from a player a year early rather than a year late? Is that part of "doing things the right way." The reality of it is this is a business and that business aspect of the NFL is what puts about $3 million a month in ARods pocket.

What I recall is the Packers have fared pretty well on some tough calls to let long standing players go most often proving to be the right move. it's a business and tough calls have to be made. They have also held on to some longer than a lot of rich owners would have who really only have the bottom line at heart. Mike Sherman should have never been a GM in the first place and should have been pulled after one year. They held on to Ted too long and McCarthy also.

By all accounts Gutey and Murphy are not heartless souls and I don't see where they are doing anything to harm the Packers legacy....unless continuing to build on their winning ways is no longer the goal.

Football has always been a cold business where difficult decisions are made that ultimately will tick off some fans and players. My takeaway from the interview is that obtaining maximum compensation for AR and moving on is probably the appropriate move.

So I’m assuming Rodgers also has an issue with how he assumed his position in GB at the expense of Brett Favre? It’s about people not the business after all. It is always disappointing the way players get treated by teams, but it seems like that issue is a larger philosophical issue with how the NFL works instead of a GBP issue.

I wish he would just be honest and say “Brady and Manning got to run the show at the end of their careers, I want to run the show too.” Waxing poetic about respect and culture makes him seem like a douche…which he probably is.

A couple of thing I noted from last night:

Rodgers issue is largely how the NFL operates as a whole and loyalty, his idea of respect, and how you are treated by an organization means more to him then the reality that is the business of football. If it were up to him, Jordy Nelson would still be here, Bryan Bulaga (who missed multiple games with a bad back with the Chargers) would still be here and got signed to a huge contract and WWJ would be the #3 WR on this team. And that's just to name a few.

But that's not only how the current Front Office operates, it's not how the Packers have operated for literally decades and decades, including guys Rodgers named last night as pillars of the organization. Guys from Ahman Green to Marco Rivera to Donald Driver and on and on were moved on from despite being huge fan favorites and at the time these popular players were cut, a significant chunk of the fan base weren't happy. But far more often then not, the Packers made the right move and that's why these teams stayed competitive year in and year out.

As others pointed out, it's the reality of doing business in the NFL. And it's hardly a Green Bay thing. It literally goes on league-wide and the few teams who are most successful make these moves objectively, these rosters get turned over and they stay in playoff contention year in and out. Guess what Aaron? You've played for one of these teams for 16 years now.

At this point, while I really hope he comes back and with the right mindset/attitude, I do not believe this FO has to keep wiping his tears, giving him hugs and kissing his hinder. They've made him a huge offer, Gute is going nowhere, Love is going nowhere, and this is a bonified SB team with Rodgers.

Take the money, be on a SB caliber team or don't. If the Packer and him can't come to terms by the start of camp, you move on. Let these teams fight over each other to make the Packers the best offer and we move on.

Random thoughts on what's happened in recent days.

I think AR is partly upset because he didn't pull a Favre and speculate about retirement. I think he believed he could avoid the same scenario. It didn't work because in the end, organizations fundamentally need to look past the here and now. Maybe too much at times. The Packers as an organization are bigger than AR (or Jordy, or Farvey, or ?), like any other large organization. He has a hard time coming to terms with that.

I really think the trade-up for Love is what amplified the situation. If Love just "falls" in their lap, it's easier for everyone involved to say that is was just a BPA situation in the draft. It happens. A much more passive situation. Targeting Love told AR that they were actively looking to replace him.

Calling out the organization's character and culture while absolving everyone but the FO is just manipulating the situation to stay in fans and teammates good graces. Where and when exactly did the change take place? Seems to me the organization took care of Kenny Clark, BakhT, AJones, etc., etc. They take care of their people it seems, as much as any team. Rarely does a coach or player get a quick hook. The Packers, if anything, seem to value their own too much at times.

They also accumulated enough talent that had the players (and coaches) taken advantage of their chances against the Seahawks and Bucs, Aaron should have been in two more Super Bowls. Those weren't FO failures, those were on the field failures for which he bears his share of the blame.

It's kind of a trite and accepted statement that "people" make the organization great, not the corporation. Only partly true. The end truth is that "people" leave all the time. I know first hand that solid organizations move on even when really excellent people decide to leave or are forced to leave. That includes the people at the top . . . and the bottom . . . and everywhere in between. There may be stumbles and set-backs but if you have decent leadership you find ways to get back on track.

You value your employees so they buy in to making things work but that doesn't mean things stay the same. All the time the FO is being cognizant of the fact that nothing last forever and people need to be replaced at some point. Over the decades, the organization is still there, still getting things done, while the people that made it great at points in time have moved on, and new people are there making it great. Everyone is replaceable in the end. AR is having to come to grips with this at a younger age than many.

Lastly, if he thinks character and culture are gone from the Packers, I wonder how he'll feel in a couple of years if he's traded to the LV Raiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back