Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
one man can certainly have more value. he can make up for a lot of shortcomings. this again is something you must be acutely aware of as a coach. especially as a high school coach where you can sometimes end up with a kid that is "a man among boys" as my dear old dad used to say. i've been to many high school games that were just simply dominated by one player. but that one player still wasn't enough to win the game.

i mention the mvp thing because the context was that this bending to the wishes of one player was being made out to be the unleashing of power to the players in general. and it is not that in my opinion. any more than the power that was handed over to brady last year was. but there is a new mini-trend that players with over a decade of experience playing at a very high level maybe will get a few more concessions than other players. kind of like basketball and baseball.
And As a coach, I hold my "star" players to the same standard as everyone else including the water boy. That culture thing we keep talking about is this subject to a tee.

An elementary simplistic example:

If I let Johnny my star RB play with a D average but Tim who's an effort guy and only sees the field on parent's night, your out for 2 games because of grades. I just set up my culture to fail.

The correct approach, You're both sitting. Kevin and Joe are going to help tutor you in study hall and I've talked to Mrs. Jones, if you turn in this work by Next Friday she will work on raising your grades.

You see equal, the TEAM will try to help you become better but both players are held to the same standard.

Anytime you hold anyone player to a different standard you invite problems in your culture and locker room. In almost all winning cultures that star player leads by example.... he's there first and stays last. He works with the players that need help.

In cultures that fail, that same player believes he's above that or that his time with that team has earned him special treatment. That rubs his teammates the wrong way and it will divide a locker room in a heartbeat. Been there, done that. Nobody likes a hotdog.

I could go on and on. You either run your culture to win as a Team or run to fail.

He’s 38, with a significant contract attached. That in itself will limit who might have interest. Now factor in a teams cap situation and assets they can give back. All of this assuming he stays healthy and his production matches his contract. His greatest value is the missing piece on a team and can mortgage 2 years to take a shot. And next year Watson will probably be on the market.

If they refused to shop him that’s criminal. If they did and it was a clear buyers market than you need to weigh compensation vs distraction. Right now the risk is that this team starts 5-4 and fingers start getting pointed and the ship goes south fast. They just signed up for 6 months of distraction unless this team makes a deep run
Actually the contract is nothing. He only will have one year with $12.5 million to trade for. What new contract he wants is up to new team to deal with

Just my tc(
Two things to ponder:
1. Rodgers gets to approve what team he goes to, which could further limit the field of suitors, and
2. If a trade can’t be worked out, the Packers may end up giving Rodgers his outright release and then teams can bid for his services without giving any draft capital to GB.
I am not buying he gets 100% where he wants to go Remember the media has been full of crap on a lot of these reports.

i mention the mvp thing because the context was that this bending to the wishes of one player was being made out to be the unleashing of power to the players in general. and it is not that in my opinion. any more than the power that was handed over to brady last year was.
a bit off topic but I do think the power of the player is now a thing in the NFL. It’s been for years in the NBA & the football guys are taking notice. Ramsey basically forced Jax hand a few years ago, Watson is playing that card in Houston. Now that being said it takes a unique player who is the clear face of the organization and has some clout to push it but I don’t think this is an isolated thing, it’s something that going to play out more often

Actually the contract is nothing. He only will have one year with $12.5 million to trade for. What new contract he wants is up to new team to deal with
His base as of now is $25m in 2022 and 2023. That’s significant

a bit off topic but I do think the power of the player is now a thing in the NFL. It’s been for years in the NBA & the football guys are taking notice. Ramsey basically forced Jax hand a few years ago, Watson is playing that card in Houston. Now that being said it takes a unique player who is the clear face of the organization and has some clout to push it but I don’t think this is an isolated thing, it’s something that going to play out more often
Pretty much now any player with star power watched what Rodgers did throw a big enough fit you will get out of your contract early. Question is will we ever see a team give the middle finger to a player who tries this says you are under contract play for us or retire.

Question is will we ever see a team give the middle finger to a player who tries this says you are under contract play for us or retire.
No. You never let an asset sit. You find a way to get some value back. You might hold your nose doing it but it’s a business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back