Post Game Thread : Tennessee Takes GB To The Woodshed

I think the chances that Thompson gets fired are zero.

I think the chances that he retires are higher. He's 63 right now and there have been a few whispers over the last couple years that he was thinking about hanging 'em up and turning it over to Eliot Wolf as our next GM. Maybe he was waiting to give Wolf a little more seasoning - he is only 34 - and he did just promote him to Director of Football Operations.

My prediction: They'll publicly announce their transition plan to hand the reigns over to Wolf, with the hope that he'll take over in 2018-19.

Two things drove me crazy on offense yesterday

1. We are down three scores in the second half and even while the offense is in no huddle, Rodgers keeps bleeding the play clock down inside 10 seconds as if it was only a one score game.

2. McCarthy insists on keeping Richard Rogers out there split in the slot with three other receivers. We need chunk plays to score quick and Dick Rod is out there running plodding routes as if he has on 10 pound ankle weights.

Why does that scrub get so many snaps game after game? Not only is he slow as a receiving tight end, he's a crappy blocker in the running game. All he does is allow defenses to put a safety in position to double cover receivers because they know Rogers is zero threat to beat linebackers down the seam. This has been going on for two straight years. Man is that position devoid of any young talent.

I think the chances that Thompson gets fired are zero.

I think the chances that he retires are higher. He's 63 right now and there have been a few whispers over the last couple years that he was thinking about hanging 'em up and turning it over to Eliot Wolf as our next GM. Maybe he was waiting to give Wolf a little more seasoning - he is only 34 - and he did just promote him to Director of Football Operations.

My prediction: They'll publicly announce their transition plan to hand the reigns over to Wolf, with the hope that he'll take over in 2018-19.

If it's Elliott Wolf this organization will continue to be conservative. Not the right hire especially if you are rebuilding

WR rule #1. On a scramble drill you go back to the qb. It's lack of execution plain and simple. And yes it's Thompson fault on talent. We don't have a true #1 wr. Rodgers was over drafted. Adams cannot play consistent. Big knock on Adams at Fresno was route running. Ummm suprise

The Packers WRs quit coming back over two years ago in the scramble. You love to blame TT for everything (he's only part of the problem), but tell me who the Patriots #1 WR is. Or who is Seattle's #1? They are making lemonade out of lemons and it works! MM can't run a koolaid stand without a QB playing out of his mind. IMO.

The Packers WRs quit coming back over two years ago in the scramble. You love to blame TT for everything (he's only part of the problem), but tell me who the Patriots #1 WR is. Or who is Seattle's #1? They are making lemonade out of lemons and it works! MM can't run a koolaid stand without a QB playing out of his mind. IMO.

Seattle has won with defense. And lynch gave them a balanced offense. Yes that sane Lynch that should have been in GB. Yes receivers should come back to the ball. It's called fundamental and execution. Our WR have run lazy routes for years. Again why give position coaches a pass. That's film room stuff that should get pounced in their heads. Adams is a perfect example

#1 wr in NE is Gronk. They also have Bennett who had over 100 yds receiving last night. Oh a FA Seattle and NE have used free agency to build depth. I s McCarthy perfect. No. Not close. But the philosophy of how an organization is run between SEATTLE / NE is night and day from GB And both used FA for filling holes. Blount is a perfect example.

My issue with Thompson is that if you use draft and develop as your primary tool you better hit a better %. We have missed on too many high pics which impacts not only the first 22 but quality depth

I could live with axing just MM, but I'm scared to death that TT's stubborn arrogance means we don't even do that.
Also not even sure what direction a partial rebuild should take at this point. But there has to be some roster turnover, obviously, and just anothe draft class is not sufficient help. Don't know what that means for FA/trades yet, just that we have to get some (at a minimum) more solid, vets in here.

Yesterday when Jake Ryan got hurt on special teams, it embodied this roster to its fullest. This week when reports swirled about a lack of veteran leadership, it also embodied this roster. So did Rollins not knowing what he was doing, Brice out of position, etc.

The worst part is that injuries will once again be used as an excuse, even as Perry and Jones do nothing when asked to step up, the offense gets one first down first three possessions, etc.

“Let’s just state the facts: I’m a highly successful NFL head coach. With that, I’ve never looked at the ride to this point as smooth or whatever the words you used. To me, it’s always bumpy, and to me that’s the joy of it. That’s this game. That’s how hard it is in the NFL. Really, what you did last year or 2010, as we know, doesn’t factor. It’s even more so with the parity and the youth of the team."
Less than 24 hours after one of the Green Bay Packers' most thorough beatings in years, Mike McCarthy was defiant. Unwavering. Even arrogant.
If you wanted some timidity, some reservations from a coach who may or may not be dangerously close to the hot seat, you would be disappointed.
McCarthy showed no weakness. When asked whether his message was still carrying through to players, he showed no hesitation.
“Oh absolutely,” McCarthy said. “I love this group of guys. It’s an extremely healthy culture. Our performance level is not high enough right now, and that’s what we’re focused on.”
That’s usually how McCarthy’s answers go in a press conference setting. He says what you need to know, nothing more.
Later, McCarthy was asked how he handles the adversity of being 4-5 through nine games after years of success, and he broke from his usual script. McCarthy delivered a rousing, 537-word dialogue that lasted almost three and a half minutes.
Here it is in its entirety:
“Let’s just state the facts: I’m a highly successful NFL head coach. With that, I’ve never looked at the ride to this point as smooth or whatever the words you used. To me, it’s always bumpy, and to me that’s the joy of it. That’s this game. That’s how hard it is in the NFL. Really, what you did last year or 2010, as we know, doesn’t factor. It’s even more so with the parity and the youth of the team.
“To me, you have to stay in tune with the now. Obviously, people outside of our room don’t feel really good about the now. Personally, I enjoy these type of moments. I think this is kind of how my life has gone professionally. That’s just a personal thought. This is about our team, and I trust and believe in what we do every day: what they do on the practice field, the conversations in the room, the conversations during the game, the reaction to the tough moments
“Our adversity football production is not high enough right now. We need to improve there. We know it, our players know it. That’s really where our focus is. That’s the difference in this league. There’s a fine line between winning and losing, and we are on the wrong side of the line right now. We clearly understand how and why we’re here. That’s what we’re focused on.
“It’s even like messaging. People talk about messaging. You talk to other coaches on how you message your football team. Personally, it kind of drives our video department crazy, but I don’t have my message quite solved for the next game because it has to tie into the plus of the team. Every team’s different, every opportunity’s different, every season is a different ride. It’s a different journey, it really is.
“We knew that when the schedule came out it was going to be … we knew there was going to be a lot of twists and turn of this season. Did I still think we were going to win them all? Hell, yeah. I’ve never entered a contest ever that I didn’t feel we were going to beat the other guy. That won’t change, especially this week. That part of it is real, and that’s what we’re focused on.
“It’s important to understand the twists and turns of a season because you’ve got to learn from it. Every week, there’s a different twist and turn that you’re not going to see coming, and how you handle that is important. We didn’t handle that very well yesterday. I think it’s very evident. I mean, there’s two or three of three touchdowns where it’s clearly, when a guy’s wide open or he runs 75 yards unabated for a touchdown, something when wrong there. I mean, something obviously went wrong there.
“So that’s what we need to learn from and improve on. So twists and turns definitely weren’t handled properly by us, but that’s yesterday. If you need to learn big-picture stuff, that’s all there in front of you. I really don’t spend a lot of time on that. I’m into the now, and it makes our players stay into the now and improve."

Sounds unfazed by any of this to me. sh))

I could live with axing just MM, but I'm scared to death that TT's stubborn arrogance means we don't even do that.
Also not even sure what direction a partial rebuild should take at this point. But there has to be some roster turnover, obviously, and just anothe draft class is not sufficient help. Don't know what that means for FA/trades yet, just that we have to get some (at a minimum) more solid, vets in here.

Yesterday when Jake Ryan got hurt on special teams, it embodied this roster to its fullest. This week when reports swirled about a lack of veteran leadership, it also embodied this roster. So did Rollins not knowing what he was doing, Brice out of position, etc.

The worst part is that injuries will once again be used as an excuse, even as Perry and Jones do nothing when asked to step up, the offense gets one first down first three possessions, etc.

You answered your own question. 2 first round picks playing pedestrian and let's not forget the high picks that were released

In the offseason, MM will talk about fundamentals, fire an assistant coach, reassign a couple more, tell the media that "sometimes you need to hear a new voice..." and still have a job because "injuries."

In the offseason, MM will talk about fundamentals, fire an assistant coach, reassign a couple more, tell the media that "sometimes you need to hear a new voice..." and still have a job because "injuries."
And Thompson should say??

Back