Post Game Thread : Tennessee Takes GB To The Woodshed

Let's start with the fact we have no RB or TE. Other than Nelson who do you have to account for on offense? On defense the OL is basically Daniels and that's it. At LB we have no edge rusher, Ryan is a liability in coverage. Then in the secondary we are without our top CB. Ok now let's address depth. Well there is none so that was a short discussion

I get the Rhodes comparison. But let's look back. That team had more talent and leadership. Favre, Levels, Freeman, Chewey , Driver, Butler, McKenzie, Williams, Dotson. This team is void of both. And that's on Thompson. Sure McCarthy has issues. Most if not all head coaches do. And maybe change is needed. But a change at HC and GM is not fixing this mess anytime soon

I agree on that last part. Which is exactly why they need to make a move soon. The current HC and GM aren't fixing this problem so bring in the new regime and let them try to turn things around...

I get the talent question, and that's on TT. But IND has just as many injuries and less talent and still walked all over GB...

What happens on game day doesn't matter anymore...

The locker room is split (more evidence was Daniels rant and the reaction to it by other players)
Coaching is subpar
There is no leadership from the coaches
Sitton and Masthay getting the boot had nothing to do with performance IMHO, they said something to hurt someone's ego or call out deficiencies. I'm guessing they called out the coaches.

There is no longer a need to delay the transition. It needs to happen now at all levels. We see the big contracts coming up for guys that are past their prime. We see that transition in the roster and team coming up. No need to let TT hold the team back anymore. Bring in the next front office and let them start planning for the future.

MM can't handle his leadership responsibilities. The writing is on the wall. Lets move on and get back to fielding an elite team.

It's not like GB was losing close games to top tier teams. GB got embarrassed by IND and TEN...

I could be on board with blowing this team up after this season but the reality is there is no young talent behind the vets to bridge the gap. Personally I keep this group next year and see if you can get magic in a bottle. The league is that average that one or 2 guys can step up or hit on 1-2 in the drsft. As bad as 12 us playing he's still top 5 talent wise. As to changing the staff it's 50/50 if it makes a difference.

I agree on that last part. Which is exactly why they need to make a move soon. The current HC and GM aren't fixing this problem so bring in the new regime and let them try to turn things around...

I get the talent question, and that's on TT. But IND has just as many injuries and less talent and still walked all over GB...

I know I'm in the minority but I'm of the opinion that there are no elite teams. And the reality is after Dallas and NE this year the next 15-20 teams there is not much difference. Hence any given Sunday

If and it's a big if that you blow it up this of season that has to include 12. Now let's look at trade value / contracts. Others than 12, who has more value due to a bad qb pool who has value?

rI s limited do to bad contracts vs production. Do you just cut guts flat out? It's complicated.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm of the opinion that there are no elite teams. And the reality is after Dallas and NE this year the next 15-20 teams there is not much difference. Hence any given Sunday

If and it's a big if that you blow it up this of season that has to include 12. Now let's look at trade value / contracts. Others than 12, who has more value due to a bad qb pool who has value?

rI s limited do to bad contracts vs production. Do you just cut guts flat out? It's complicated.
Why do you have to get rid of '12'? I don't agree at all. We didn't get rid of '4' when we went to Rhodes/Sherman/MM. IMO MM/ARod has reached the dysfunctional relationship that Sherman/Favre became. A coach failing to hold their QB responsible. The Packers did what 99% of teams do- get a new coach. Coaches are easier to find than franchise QBs. Hopefully, a new coach would help reset the QB situation like MM/Favre did.

This is why I favor dumping TT and cleaning house from the top down:

These were our CBs yesterday-
Rollins, 2nd year, 2nd round pick;
Goodson, 3rd year, 6th round;
Gunter, 2nd year, UDFA

And the S:

Burnett, 6th year, 3rd round
HaHa, 3rd year, 1st round
Brice, 1st year, UDFA
Evans, 1st year, UDFA

One guy with 3 years or more of experience! 3 of 7 weren't good enough to get drafted. Two of them are basketball converts! The coaching has been poor but what are they supposed to do with this motley crew? If you fire MM or Capers, what DC or HC is going to be onboard to deal with this kind of talent evaluation and collection? How is that going to lead to success? TT has been an absentee in all of this, he's sat on his hands while the whole group - inexperienced without injuries - has gone to hell. Come on, this is an undignified way to run a franchise.

What is hard about getting a new coach is multiple.

1.) Is who? Many other teams are in same boat and the pool of coaches doesn't grow on trees. We all have short lists for coaches but are they willing to even take the job and leave where they are at?

2.) Bellicheks and others don't grow on trees. Going to the college level has had probably more misses then hits on the NFL level.

3.) Do u try to find a guy that runs a similar offense or blow it up? If looking for similar the pool is even smaller and probably either taking the risk in unproven or taking a re tread coach that failed before and hoping this time will make it work. If new style of Offense there is a transition period of a year or two.. if going total rebuild it's fine but then window for Rodgers is even smaller and maybe his skills decline to average or pedestrian level.

4.) Power and Control issues. Most coaches want as much control bas possible. The bigger the name and success of a coach the more they are going to want. Here would current or new GM be willing to give up some of their control to a coach?

It's easy to say fire and start over, but hard to achieve a succession of success we have had here for 20 plus years.

As to a question asked earlier..... The point differential of 20 plus points in our loss was the biggest during regular season since 1948..... Hope that clears it up

Why do you have to get rid of '12'? I don't agree at all. We didn't get rid of '4' when we went to Rhodes/Sherman/MM. IMO MM/ARod has reached the dysfunctional relationship that Sherman/Favre became. A coach failing to hold their QB responsible. The Packers did what 99% of teams do- get a new coach. Coaches are easier to find than franchise QBs. Hopefully, a new coach would help reset the QB situation like MM/Favre did.

Because he's the only guy with trade value. If you cut the big contracts and keep 12 you have Jackson AT RB, WR are Montgomery, Davis and Janis assuming Nelson and Cobb are part of the Big contract purge and Rodgers AT TE. That's a 8-8 , 7-9 type team. Your back in purgatory you did nut help yourself or hurt yourself. Again if there was depth to bridge the gap that's a different story but there is not.

Gunter, 2nd year, UDFA

And the S:

Brice, 1st year, UDFA
Evans, 1st year, UDFA

One guy with 3 years or more of experience! 3 of 7 weren't good enough to get drafted. Two of them are basketball converts! The coaching has been poor but what are they supposed to do with this motley crew? If you fire MM or Capers, what DC or HC is going to be onboard to deal with this kind of talent evaluation and collection? How is that going to lead to success? TT has been an absentee in all of this, he's sat on his hands while the whole group - inexperienced without injuries - has gone to hell. Come on, this is an undignified way to run a franchise.

This is one of my biggest beefs with TT. Strict draft and develop yet consistently has one of the youngest rosters in the league. Translation he doesn't pick talent very well. IN addition your depth comes from UDFA instead of the FA market. We all know the FA market stinks. But....

Gunter, 2nd year, UDFA

And the S:

Brice, 1st year, UDFA
Evans, 1st year, UDFA

Very good points. TT has been getting a pass and his actions, or non actions, should be scrutinized a little harder these days.

Oh boy where to start.... Why blow it up many of you say ? Well let's see to start we are having the same discussion going on 3 years, so so is/was injured, salary cap constants, It's TT no it's MM bh)

Fact the team is not progressing but regressing this season after taking a step back last year.
Fact this team has locker room issues.. to what extent we don't know
Fact #12 isn't the same QB consistently anymore.. shows flash's but come on folks the writing is on the wall.
Fact the offensive scheme as a whole is 12 plus years old with minor tweaks
Fact MM lost several key coach's and has not replaced them with equals
Fact the defensive scheme while still effective at times is older than methuselah... an A gap double blitz is hardly earth shattering and beating a cover 2 behind it is child's play.
Fact we have failed to provide quality depth in ALL phases of the FB team for several years.
Fact the weekly tackling/blocking etc issues go back pre SB yrs and were overlooked because of our SB run but right back where we started.

I could go on and on and on... but I'll stop. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Yes I get the salary cap stuff...yes the pool of everything isn't grand but really and I am dead serious here do ya'll want to keep doing this every year ? Enough of this crap already.

Oh and one last thing... A really good coach can take a hard working motivated player and teach him enough to be productive, Green Bay Defensive backs are lazy ...have no technique and plain don't care. TT isn't getting prime rib but even the worst chef should be able to prepare a hamburger. Just saying.

Back