Post Game Thread : Panthers Claw Out A 37-29 Win Over Green Bay

Think they're trying to straddle the line between going with someone who is effective while still trying to get Lacy going, and you dont get Lacy going by taking away reps. Only they know severity of that injury or what's going on. Starks had some good early runs, actually making something out of nothing. Eventually CAR shut him down too. Run blocking was poor overall, and that includes fullbacks and TE.

The more I watch Richard Rogers the more frustrated I am with him. Around the goal line he can be effective but time after time you see him half-assing his routes, running lazily across the field and allowing LBs to keep pace or make plays on the ball. Often times in the run game he's the culprit that allows his man to make first contact. Not asking him to make Jason Witten blocks here, just get in the way instead of whiffing. When you talk about lack of accountability he's a culprit and a candidate for benching IMO, if coaches wanted to send a message about the run game.

Therein lies the depth issue. Who do you replace him with? GB's TE all around are just not good. Even if you throw Q back in there. Definite area of need next draft/off season.

K after a night of sleeping on it... My running stream of rage consciousness for the day:

1) I have read some media types saying they are losses, but since they were against SB contenders they weren't horrible losses. Well guess what, you want to get to and win a SB? You're going to have to beat other SB contenders to get there. And GB didn't just lose, they got manhandled. The CAR score will make the game seem closer than it was. But GB didn't look like they belonged in the SB convo last 2 games.

2) Arod said maybe if they were at home they'd have won the last 2. Again, enough excuses. I'm not sure GB wins these games at home. Besides, after losing to CAR, the road to the SB probably means you play at least one away playoff game. What will be the excuse then? SB caliber teams don't care if it's home or away. Just win baby.

3) This oline has been awful last two games. I mean really bad. Even the RB/FB have been whiffing blocks against anyone with decent speed rush.

4) Team was not mentally or emotionally prepared. Game plan wasn't good either. Again, you scheme for the guys you have, if you have 5 WR and none of them can get open, then who cares how great your game plan is on paper. Assistants and HC need to take a share of the blame too. Everyone needs to look in the mirror and ask what they can do now. Because it's obvious feom last 2 games this team isn't a SB contender right now. It has the talent to get there. But it also takes the right mindset.

5) I agree with what FT and R mentioned above. Accountability. What starters on this team are honestly in any danger of losing their jobs? Accountability doesn't seem to be a point of emphasis. But to a point Packinatl has made several times. GB's depth is not very talented. So at that point there is nobody pushing your starters.

So, like people have pointed out the season is not over. Half a season left to play. Plenty of time to turn it around. It will take work though. And a lot of egos will have to be checked at the door. So we will see. Next up is DET. Which should be an auto win. So not much to take away from that game. However after that is MIN. Which may very well put either GB or MIN a game ahead in the division.

It's hard to see a post this long and find nothing with which to disagree. The one thing I'd add is my confusion/disappointment/bewilderment over the problems that exist in areas that seemed to have been fixed, earlier this season or even in previous years. My concerns for Raji and Daniels a few weeks ago was how we could afford both those brutes. Burnett was finally back on the field - for a while. Hyde was slow but crafty and a hard hitter - now he's just slow. Matthews inside was a super coaching move, the bad guys couldn't handle it, now he's just another ILB. Peppers may be have finally looked at the calendar. Bak was great for a rookie and 4th rounder, but he seems to be playing like both now - might as well throw Linsley in there, also. Both Rodgers have looked very average to below recently. Kuhn was kept for reliability and is missing blocks. Lacy was the savior at RB, but he's hurt/fat/unmotivated (and the one guy who has shown he can play the position isn't used much). Plenty more examples, and certainly there's a lot of ammo for anyone who wants to argue about the other side, so I don't intend to do so. Just realized that I thought "we'll get that fixed", and we haven't.

Big question on my mind after reviewing plays etc...

Lacy is obviously hurting and ineffective. Starks did well. So why not go with Starks, then use Harris who is fresh? Lacy wasn't doing anything, give him a rest if he's injured.

I was thinking the same thing. Why do they insist on putting Lacy in there when he is hurt and/or out of shape. I was yelling at them to bench him. He is obviously not able to get it done. Why have a 3rd RB and not use him.

I haven't seen the OL play this bad ever. There is something really wrong and if they don't figure it out, they're not going anywhere.

I have always liked MM, but it's the same ole same ole. Whatever your doing MM, it's not working.

I agree with what others have said. This team is not playing with fire, anger, etc...except with each other. What the heck was that... Between Raji and HaHa.

There needs to be a shake up somewhere...don't know what but if they can't figure out what to do, they shouldn't be coaching/playing.

Ok. Done with my rant. bh(

To throw something else out just to ponder.. Has Jake Ryan played well enough past couple games to supplant Nate Palmer as the starter?

I think Ryan has played better than Palmer has recently so deserves to start.

I also think Starks has earned a starting spot. In fact, I might sit Lacy down and tell him to heal up and get ready for December and play Harris for a couple of weeks as the back-up behind Starks.

I also would not object to Hayward becoming the nickel/slot CB and Randall getting the starting spot and playing on the outside.

These would not be knee-jerk changes just because of losses. I think the coaching staff could make the case that in each of those situations, the new guy has out-played the incumbent starter. It may be time to change a few things up and see if you can jump-start things with some new guys.

Half Empty, nice breakdown. My feelings to this point.

Couple FYI

Lacy was playing with a pulled groin... not a great injury for a RB.

Rodgers getting heat for saying something scared him on the last goal lie play. Maybe it was the bloody illegal pick we ran. Carolina said in some of their post game they plan to send the Packers picks into the NFL because they were not called.

For those that have not been following NFL is supposedly cracking down on picks with contact on crossing routes and in the redzone. I have yet to see it flagged in a game. sh))

If I was getting hammered as much as Rodgers has been I'd be a little spooked too.

I'm surprised we weren't flagged for that pick on that 4th down play in the end zone.

Maybe Green Bay should send in all of the late cheap shots Carolina took that weren't called too

Cheap shots? I'm not questioning you but I don't recall seeing them. Of course I was in a sports bar and the TV was a ways away...

If this team were run by a private owner who'd purchased it with his own money, rather than a board of directors, I wonder if the coaching staff and GM would be as complacent as they are.

I doubt anyone is complacent. If they don't perform they'll get a pink slip. But its kinda hard to can a coaching staff of a team that is 6-2 and can still achieve all their goals they set for themselves.

Back