Post Game Thread : Panthers Claw Out A 37-29 Win Over Green Bay

This is a good team with weaknesses that are being exposed.
- not much speed at WR
- no speed at TE
- no speed at RB (though Starks is faster than you think)
- an o-line that can be had when it plays on the road where communication is tougher

The above combination is in large part what ails the offense. Good teams have figured out that you can keep the Packers in check by playing man coverage and keeping Aaron in the pocket. Not every team is a good team so the Packers will win a bunch more games, but I fear that in the playoffs they will lay an egg again because they will see one of these good team and the weaknesses will be exposed.

Perhaps it is a good thing these weaknesses are being exposed now and not later in the playoffs?

Therein lies the depth issue. Who do you replace him with? GB's TE all around are just not good. Even if you throw Q back in there. Definite area of need next draft/off season.

At least Q can block...

I think Ryan has played better than Palmer has recently so deserves to start.

I also think Starks has earned a starting spot. In fact, I might sit Lacy down and tell him to heal up and get ready for December and play Harris for a couple of weeks as the back-up behind Starks.

I also would not object to Hayward becoming the nickel/slot CB and Randall getting the starting spot and playing on the outside.

These would not be knee-jerk changes just because of losses. I think the coaching staff could make the case that in each of those situations, the new guy has out-played the incumbent starter. It may be time to change a few things up and see if you can jump-start things with some new guys.

Did Hayward get hurt yesterday?

I think Hayward was checked out for a concussion, but I haven't heard anything official. If Hayward has to sit a week, which seems possible, then Randall would have to start anyway, but for me, he should keep that starting spot on the outside and Hayward should move back inside as the slot/nickel guy. His biggest successes in his career have been as the slot corner.

Cheap shots? I'm not questioning you but I don't recall seeing them. Of course I was in a sports bar and the TV was a ways away...
There were multiple incidents where a guy was getting up and he'd get shoved back down or once on the ground a slap to the helmet. They weren't going to cause injury but they were not necessary and were after the player was down. If I watch the game again I'll take note.

If they want to whine about pick plays everyone is using then the Packers should nitpick a little too.

I doubt anyone is complacent. If they don't perform they'll get a pink slip. But its kinda hard to can a coaching staff of a team that is 6-2 and can still achieve all their goals they set for themselves.

So they set a goal for themselves to blow a 374 point lead in the final 15 seconds of the NFCCG last year? One and done in the postseason every single season since McCarthy started (except for 2010) is one of the goals they set for themselves? Giving up 1500 yards of offense in the last 3 games was one of their goals this year?

Or were there some other goals they set for themselves that I'm missing here? Because if I'm on the BOD and I look at that list of achievements, one of the first thoughts I'm going to have is that perhaps my coaches are setting the wrong goals. If I'm one of the guys in charge of this clown show, I may not be ready to fire the people responsible, but I'd damned sure getting pretty close to the point where I'm going to start issuing ultimatums. Because this kind of outcome every single season, with no apparent changes being made at any level, is simply not acceptable.

Perhaps it is a good thing these weaknesses are being exposed now and not later in the playoffs?

That would be true if McCarthy were a good enough coach to learn something and fix those weaknesses, and if we had the talent to play better. But neither of those things appear to be true, so I really don't see any advantage at all to exposing the weaknesses now instead of later. The only difference I can think of is that now that everyone in the league knows how easy it is to beat Green Bay if you play them a certain way, we'll probably lose a lot more games along the way than we otherwise might have.

Nobody - I mean nobody - in this league is afraid to play Green Bay anymore. They figured McCarthy out a long time ago - everyone knows what he wants to do in the game, and if they have the personnel to create and exploit the matchups, they know how to beat him. I think most coaches respect that Green Bay still has enough talent to beat an average team if they don't play their best, but I doubt very many of them see Green Bay on their schedule and think, "Damn. That's one where we got no shot."

So they set a goal for themselves to blow a 374 point lead in the final 15 seconds of the NFCCG last year? One and done in the postseason every single season since McCarthy started (except for 2010) is one of the goals they set for themselves? Giving up 1500 yards of offense in the last 3 games was one of their goals this year?

Or were there some other goals they set for themselves that I'm missing here? ...

hey i completely understand your frustrations. i'm right there with you. but to be fair, mccarthy set a goal of a "fast start" this season and it's hard to argue with 6-0. he also set a goal of focusing on the special teams, and although they are not the best in the league they are significantly better than last year. these last three games have been abysmal by the defense. everyone on that defense should be disgusted with themselves. and the offense virtually disappeared for two and a half games. those guys should be disgusted with themselves also. i'm not sure what the answer is because it sure seems like we have enough talent to be better.

i think you're right to question whether this coaching staff has become too stagnant or set in its ways.

I dunno. I look at the way the team is playing, I look at the personnel we have to work with, and I look at McCarthy's history here, and there is nothing at all that gives me any confidence that this is going to get turned around. Major changes need to be made in order to turn things around, but McCarthy has a history of being very resistant to change. That does not inspire confidence.

Ok. I’ll say it. Won’t be popular but

Is McCarthy part of the issue yes. He’s the head coach and buck stops with him. But he is a very small part of the problem
This team is playing with 3 of its 4 wide receivers out or banged up
This team is playing with its too running back far from 100 percent
This team was without 2 of its top 3 corners

The drop off in talent past the top 24 iso significant. This is on Ted Thompson.

When are players going to be held accountable??

Did Wade Phillips all of a sudden get Smart this year? No he has talent around him

Is shaun Payton a bad coach? Based on his record yes but I’ll take him. It talent folks

This has been a very good team for 8 weeks. Still is. Is it elite or dominate? No. Never was. Personally I think the players bought into the hype. Maybe it’s time for peppers to make a play along with Daniels and raji. Maybe it’s time to protect number 12. Or wide receivers to beat man coverage

Great points, Pack.

Not speaking for everyone but I think there is frustration with MM and the lack of adjustments he makes in games and going into the next game. If he would just take what the defense gives him sometimes and also have the balls to fire one of his coaches (minus Slocum because he had to), maybe we would have a little more respect for the guy. Put your players into positions to succeed not just what you think is the only way to get it done.

That is why I am frustrated anyway.

Back