Post Game Thread : Packers Knock Off Giants 23-16

For one thing he's 30, will turn 31 in February. Secondly Starks was never a lead back kind of guy. Change of pace sure. But he isn't Lacy/lead back and that was clear from the get go. So my question is (because I haven't seen all of every game) When Starks comes in does MM try to make him run the same plays as Lacy? Or does he change up the plays to better fit Starks style?

They run the same plays. The only difference is they are more inclined to run the screens, because Starks has better hands than Lacy. But, they do run a screen now and then with Lacy to show the defense it's with either guy.

But you bring up an interesting point. You can still run the same plays but the percentage of each changes. Let's take a play that goes between left tackle and left guard is run 20% of the time in a specific personnel package when Lacy is in, and less than 5% when Starks is in. Then add in a few other plays with disparaging percentages and you get a pretty good read on the tendencies.

Since quite a few of us out here believe that McCarthy has a tendency to be a little too predictable, it's very possible that he doesn't even realize that he's setting up a pattern that they're doing, and doesn't even realize it. An analogy from baseball. A pitcher who throws first pitch strikes 90% of the time, and 70% of those are on fastballs, you now have a stat the batter can use to sit on a pitch and drive it. A really good hitter, armed with that stat, will eat that pitcher up.

In McCarthy's defense, it's easy to fall into patterns without realizing it. Fact is, it might not even show up as a pattern, but in the minds of defenders, it's there, and they anticipate plays that are called.

If there's any shortcoming in Starks game, it's not how he's playing to be honest. He's the kind of guy who gets better with more plays. He starts reading the defenders, and will make plays when he does. If he's lost a step, I can't see it, but it is hard to see on TV.

For one thing he's 30, will turn 31 in February. Secondly Starks was never a lead back kind of guy. Change of pace sure. But he isn't Lacy/lead back and that was clear from the get go. So my question is (because I haven't seen all of every game) When Starks comes in does MM try to make him run the same plays as Lacy? Or does he change up the plays to better fit Starks style?
CD, the last line made me laugh. MM will not, does not change his 'system' for anyone. That would fall under adjustments and when you think you have the best system ever...well, then its the players fault, not yours. Hell, next you're going to want him to game plan for specific defensive weaknesses in the other team.;)

Back