Post Game Thread : Packers Knock Off Giants 23-16

Got the W. I think we need to get used to seeing these types of wins this year. Not as dynamic or exciting but it is a win. Defense played well and they continue to dominate against the run game. Jordy had some uncharacteristic drops. Let's hope Lacy isn't that banged up because Dallas is gonna be a battle.

Was not impressed at all with the offense again. They struggled to move the ball against an average Giants D that was badly banged up in the secondary. The WR's still can not get seperation and Rodgers was again having issues with his accuracy.

If the injuries to Lacy and Cobb are serious enough that they can not play vs Dallas and if Shields and Randall could not play again along with the issues the offense has been having I have serious issues with the Packers being able to beat Dallas.

EDIT: Read that Cobb passed concussion tests and the hit he took was to his neck not his head.

Last edited:
Was not impressed at all with the offense again. They struggled to move the ball against an average Giants D that was badly banged up in the secondary. The WR's still can not get seperation and Rodgers was again having issues with his accuracy.

If the injuries to Lacy and Cobb are serious enough that they can not play vs Dallas and if Shields and Randall could not play again along with the issues the offense has been having I have serious issues with the Packers being able to beat Dallas.
I know what you mean. But it's kinda nice to be able to "struggle" to 406 yards of O, 4.6 rushing avg... ;)

Also, isn't it nice that Arod doesn't even have to have a great evening, and we're able to win? If he gets back to his old self, look out.

Dallas is on another level compared with the Giants, so I do hope Rodgers saved his A game for that one.

I know what you mean. But it's kinda nice to be able to "struggle" to 406 yards of O, 4.6 rushing avg... ;)

Also, isn't it nice that Arod doesn't even have to have a great evening, and we're able to win? If he gets back to his old self, look out.

Dallas is on another level compared with the Giants, so I do hope Rodgers saved his A game for that one.

Yeah they moved the ball well with Lacy but it seemed that MM pretty much was like screw that I am not going to really use the running game till Lacy went out hurt. Then it seems he handed the ball off a bunch to a very ineffetive Starks. I thought how Lacy was pounding the ball you should have been leaning on him most of the game till he went down.

A tale of two games. Once again, the Packers played very well during the 1st half, then held on during the second half, when the opposition came back. It happens way too often to be coincidence, and when it happens against good teams, we end up snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

The Giants are obviously a wounded team that hasn't put it together yet. They may not, all year. Yet, they have one of the best front fours in the NFL, and the Packers offensive line did a number on them that I couldn't believe. That brought up an interesting point. Rodgers had forever to throw, and still had 2 picks, and a 65? QB rating. Ouch! Yeah! Some drops, but it was more of a problem that he didn't throw well.

Rodgers often looks good early in games but seems to lose it by halftime. I don't get it. A QB who was on track to go into the HOF needs to make the easy plays but he isn't. Then there's his choices for whom to pass. I saw three passes in the Giants game that were intended for Nelson that were just plain not the right choice under any circumstance. Fortunately, Nelson has the strength to be a good defender, because he broke the passes up when they should have been intercepted. Even the screen passes were lacking. Rodgers was throwing the ball like he was in a panic, and wasn't even close to being effective. Repeating the fact. He had plenty of time. I hate to harp on something. I think it's more to do with coaching.

We've talked about this before. Time to rehash it. Our receivers aren't getting open any more than they did last year, even with Nelson back on the field. It isn't a lack of speed because the announcers even mentioned last night that the Packers, across the board, are one of the faster group of receivers in the league. They didn't mention the theory - that I believe - that the coaching staff lacks imagination, and the routes are so vanilla that defenses sit on them because they're obvious.

They showed the rankings of players across the offensive line. I saw Lang and Tretter were both ranked #3 by position in the NFL. It's like I've said for a long time. Tretter belongs out there. What happens when Linsley comes back? Interesting dilemma. Pull Tretter and watch him tell GB to kiss his royal tush after this season when he walks as a FA. Of course, same problem with Linsley, isn't it? Gotta find out if one of these two can be a solid left guard. Taylor is the weak link at this point. But man, Tretter can sure get out to that second level and throw devastating blocks!

Defense. I don't know what happened, but they looked like a top NFL defense. They played about as good as anyone could. They proved, last night, that with a decent pass rush, our CBs and safeties can stick to anyone on the field. Ask the Giants receivers. If these guys keep playing like they did, they could help to make this team even better than what they really are despite the offensive shortcomings. An interesting note. Jake Ryan led the team with 7 tackles. Our two safeties were next, with 6 each. What does it say? We're dropping a safety down to help with the run. The Cowboys will exploit that if we do it with them. Gotta be careful how it's done, and how often. Matthews & Peppers, I believe 3 combined tackles? One major mistake. Peppers let an RB outside for a big gainer.

Schum needs to go. This guy could be out-kicked by a high school kid who never did it before. Auditions today in the Packer parking lot, 10:00 AM. Maybe the coaches and Thompson will be watching, and invite a couple of guys in for a "look-see."

Happy with the win and the way we were able to run the ball. A little worried about the way the passing game looked. With as much time as AR had last night he should have carved up that Giants defense. Something is not right with him. Another very mediocre performance on his part. Not helped by the WRs not getting open.

It's partly the design of the offense that is the problem and despite what the announcers say, this is not a fast WR group - at least not the guys they use most of the time. Janis and Davis have speed but they don't play. Adams is not really fast, and Cobb is more quick than fast. Nelson has speed, but I don't think he's all the way back - and might never be. They have no speed at TE with Cook out.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is still something off with AR and the offense and I'm starting to worry that it might be permanent, which doesn't bode well for how things will play out this year. Hopefully they make me eat crow.

I'm glad we won. :)

The first drive was amazing. SO much fun to watch.

Then, of course, because it was........it was never repeated.

Rodgers inexplicably kept throwing balls straight into guys well covered (or a bit over their heads).

The Oline gave him all the time in the world.

The D was great, afaic. As usual (for the past couple of years), they pulled our fat out of the fire, no matter how much I yelled during the game.

The hit on Cobb was scary. Obviously not his head, but his neck, as talked about in shout.

The drops were typical, lately.

I was glad to see Cobb and Adams improve their game.

What was the deal in Rodger's interview when he said something like "After practice last week I was surprised that Cobb got so many opportunities". ???

Jake Ryan led the team with 7 tackles. Our two safeties were next, with 6 each. What does it say? We're dropping a safety down to help with the run. The Cowboys will exploit that if we do it with them.

Played a lot of 2-deep safeties, and the giants only had one running play of over 10 yards. Other than the TFL I saw Dix pick up on the blitz, the safeties were doing their work limiting YAC while not letting the giants get anything deep. It's something Dallas can exploit in the fact that they can actually run the ball. It'll be a good week to get Pennel back.

Reactions: TW
I'm glad we won. :)

The first drive was amazing. SO much fun to watch.

Then, of course, because it was........it was never repeated.

Rodgers inexplicably kept throwing balls straight into guys well covered (or a bit over their heads).

The Oline gave him all the time in the world.

The D was great, afaic. As usual (for the past couple of years), they pulled our fat out of the fire, no matter how much I yelled during the game.

The hit on Cobb was scary. Obviously not his head, but his neck, as talked about in shout.

The drops were typical, lately.

I was glad to see Cobb and Adams improve their game.

What was the deal in Rodger's interview when he said something like "After practice last week I was surprised that Cobb got so many opportunities". ???

Good question. I hope it's answered by someone in the organization.

Back