Post Game Thread: Green Bay Beats The Chargers 23-20

Watson called Love’s touchdown throw to him “money.” With outside linebacker Tuli Tuipulotu barreling down on Love from the strong side after beating right tackle Zach Tom, Love threw off-balance with three defenders around Watson and little room with which to work. Right on the money, as Watson ran the crosser from the opposite slot to perfection.
Love said the play wasn’t in the game plan, that it was actually drawn up on the sideline based on a previous defensive look from the Chargers.

“I’ve got to give (tight ends coach) John Dunn all the credit in the world on that,” LaFleur said. “There was a play earlier on that drive and you always look at the pictures, and we saw something there and he suggested a play and then we called it and hit the coverage and those guys went out there and executed it. It was a great job by Christian just hauling ass across the field and Jordan made a good throw, but certainly the credit goes to John Dunn in that situation.”

“We had kind of seen how they were playing in the red zone before that, so coach just dialed it up, knew that would work,” Watson said. “The safety wasn’t getting out of there quick enough and we knew we could utilize my speed to just get across and just get into that open hole, so yeah, that was perfect.”

On Love’s second touchdown pass, the high-point catch from Doubs and subsequent rip-away to ensure cornerback Michael Davis couldn’t knock the ball loose was probably even better than the throw.

“That was insane,” Watson said. “The throw, the catch, everything.”

“We went quick and the defense, they were kind of scrambling to get set and figure out who was over there,” Love said. “I think they only had one DB in there and they were running somebody over late. I just looked over there and saw they were all messed up and it was almost like a pick happened between the two DBs who were out there. Rome was able to get on top and just put it out there. It was a little underthrown and he just did a good job of going back to the ball and aggressive hands and snagging it for a tud, so it was nice.”

So with Jones and Wilson likely missing at least one game if not more. I think these are possible guys GB can sign

1. Patrick Taylor PS NE
2. Tyler Goodson PS Indy
3. Ellis Merriweather PS GB
4. Lew Nichols III PS Philly
5. James Robinson FA

So with Jones and Wilson likely missing at least one game if not more. I think these are possible guys GB can sign

1. Patrick Taylor PS NE
2. Tyler Goodson PS Indy
3. Ellis Merriweather PS GB
4. Lew Nichols III PS Philly
5. James Robinson FA
Goodson is small but he runs 4.3. Pass catcher.

It is interesting to look at our WR numbers. I projected season ending numbers based off of what they have done so far.

Reed: 463 yards and 4 TDs- Season Total- 800 and 6 TDs
Doubs- 396 yards and 7 TDs- Season Total- 700 and 10 TDs
Wicks- 331 yards and 1 TD- Season Total- 600 and 2 TDs
Watson- 257 yards and 2 TDs- Season Total- 425 and 4 TDs
Musgrave- 341 yards and 1 TD- Season Total- 600 Yards and 2 TDs

These are not bad totals at the end of the year for rookie WR's as far as Reed and Wicks are concerned. And Wicks has barely played compared to Reed, Doubs, and Watson. Musgrave could have 600 yards and a couple of TDs. Not bad for starting the year very slow. Doubs is not a #1 WR but he is very reliable near the end zone and is a good possession WR.

I still think a veteran WR would do wonders or a high pick for a #1 WR to be a difference maker.

The future could be bright my friends. If Love continues to improve and we sew up this o-line in the draft, we could be very good offensively in 2 years.

It is interesting to look at our WR numbers. I projected season ending numbers based off of what they have done so far.

Reed: 463 yards and 4 TDs- Season Total- 800 and 6 TDs
Doubs- 396 yards and 7 TDs- Season Total- 700 and 10 TDs
Wicks- 331 yards and 1 TD- Season Total- 600 and 2 TDs
Watson- 257 yards and 2 TDs- Season Total- 425 and 4 TDs
Musgrave- 341 yards and 1 TD- Season Total- 600 Yards and 2 TDs

These are not bad totals at the end of the year for rookie WR's as far as Reed and Wicks are concerned. And Wicks has barely played compared to Reed, Doubs, and Watson. Musgrave could have 600 yards and a couple of TDs. Not bad for starting the year very slow. Doubs is not a #1 WR but he is very reliable near the end zone and is a good possession WR.

I still think a veteran WR would do wonders or a high pick for a #1 WR to be a difference maker.

The future could be bright my friends. If Love continues to improve and we sew up this o-line in the draft, we could be very good offensively in 2 years.
Doubs is turning into a James Jones clone. Not a bad thing, definitely a place for a guy like that on the roster, but he's not WR1, he's a floating WR2-4. It's kind of a funny group, the way it's shaping up I don't love the fit for Watson right now. I appreciate what his speed does for the O overall but he's gotta elevate the physicality and route running big time otherwise he's really sitting there as a productive WR4 type. Or am I way off? Reed looks like a legit slot weapon. Wicks for a rookie has shown really good intelligence against zone coverage and the ability to separate against man, but lack of speed and sometimes iffy hands hold him back (but for a 4th or 5th rounder he looks awesome right now). Has potential to be a volume receiver. Watson's speed is dynamic but as these other guys round into form and they add another WR to the mix next year, how many snaps/looks is he getting? Who comes off the field for him?

Doubs is turning into a James Jones clone. Not a bad thing, definitely a place for a guy like that on the roster, but he's not WR1, he's a floating WR2-4. It's kind of a funny group, the way it's shaping up I don't love the fit for Watson right now. I appreciate what his speed does for the O overall but he's gotta elevate the physicality and route running big time otherwise he's really sitting there as a productive WR4 type. Or am I way off? Reed looks like a legit slot weapon. Wicks for a rookie has shown really good intelligence against zone coverage and the ability to separate against man, but lack of speed and sometimes iffy hands hold him back (but for a 4th or 5th rounder he looks awesome right now). Has potential to be a volume receiver. Watson's speed is dynamic but as these other guys round into form and they add another WR to the mix next year, how many snaps/looks is he getting? Who comes off the field for him?

RP, great analysis.

Watson needs to run routes better, play the ball better on deep passes, and be more physical. No doubt. To be fair to Watson, Love has been short on 3 or 4 deep passes where Watson had a step or two on the defensive backs. Watson could be more like 400 yards and 4 or 5 TDs instead of 260 and 2 TDs if Love had put it in the right spot. If Love continues to work on his feet and the deep accuracy things could change a little there. We will see, I guess.

I still do not see Watson as a #1 WR in the future but he can be a weapon if used properly. That is why we need a difference maker at WR, IMO. We just do not have that yet.

Back