Post Game Thread: Green Bay Beats The Chargers 23-20

Two touches at most, and used as a blocker. They're not going to run against the Lions.

Interesting game... The Chargers really beat themselves out there, but our offense's best game in a long time.

Love: Clearly his best game and putting together back-to-back good games. Had a few high throws, but clearly out-played Herbert.

Reed - Anyone lamenting the draft pick now? We need to start featuring the guy. Kind of looking like a #1 WR not a slot #3

Wicks - Really surprising ascent for Wicks. Love to see it.

Doubs/Watson - well, they catch TDs... Actually Doubs had a good overall day. Watson ran fast... if he could just catch

Kraft - hey! Nice to see a spark for the guy.

Musgrave - Continued growth for the young man. Good blocking, good routes, good receiving. I'm excited.

Yosh Nijman-what happened? Who turned your feet to concrete?

CBs - Our young CBs are really holding up better than I thought they could. Ballentine wasn't great, but he is what... our 6th string CB at the beginning of the season? Nixon had a strong game too.

Defense - Otherwise, our best defenders were the sun and the field. A very bend, but don't break day, but they had a lot of help on "don't break".

Anders Carlson - His FG was a bit "odd" and I've seen some comments about a bad snap. His timing was certainly not there as it looked like he kicked it with a "half-leg"

I could only watch snippets of the game, so not much for me to say in terms of impressions, except that it seems there was some improvement though it also sounds like a horribly sloppy game on both sides.

Still, first 300-yard passing game in almost two years for a Packer quarterback. Christian Watson actually caught a couple passes. Love only under threw a couple times on his bombs. Defense held up at the end of the game, despite having a defensive backfield that looked like the Island of Misfit Toys. What did I miss?

PFF Best/Worse Packer Grades:

Top 5 offense

1. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 76.1
2. LT Rasheed Walker: 73.5
3. RT Zach Tom: 72.6
4. WR Romeo Doubs: 71.9
5. RB A.J. Dillon: 69.3

Wicks produced 91 receiving yards and drew a crucial defensive pass interference penalty on just 15 routes run. He did have a drop, but he otherwise produced three first downs on catches over 20 yards and forced four missed tackles. Walker gave up one pressure (sack) over 28 pass-blocking snaps. Tom allowed just one hurry over 44 pass-blocking snaps. Doubs caught five of his six targets, made a contested catch and had a 143.1 passer rating when targeted. Dillon caught four targets and gained 34 yards after first contact.

Top 5 defense

1. DL Kenny Clark: 89.8
2. DL Karl Brooks: 81.0
3. CB Corey Ballentine: 71.5
4. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 67.0
5. S Anthony Johnson Jr.: 62.6

Clark had a team-high six hurries, plus a crucial forced fumble in the red zone and the game-ending batted pass over 49 total snaps. Brooks delivered a sack and a hurry over 19 pass-rushing snaps and held up well against the run. Ballentine gave up just one catch for 17 yards on four targets into his coverage and made four tackles without a miss. Enagbare had a hurry and a tackle for loss over 22 snaps. Johnson Jr. didn’t give up a single catch over 64 total snaps.

Bottom 5 offense

1. RG Sean Rhyan: 43.4
2. RB Aaron Jones: 46.4
3. LT Yosh Nijman: 52.1
4. TE Ben Sims: 53.6
5. WR Malik Heath: 56.1

Rhyan gave up a hurry on just four pass-blocking snaps. Jones dropped another pass and had just 17 total yards on five touches. Nijman gave up three pressures, including a sack, and had a penalty over 31 snaps at left tackle. Sims graded out below average as a blocker. Heath got dinged big for his one pass-blocking snap, which resulted in a quarterback hit.

Bottom 5 defense

1. S Jonathan Owens: 40.5
2. LB De’Vondre Campbell: 44.1
3. DL T.J. Slaton: 45.4
4. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 45.8
5. DL Devonte Wyatt: 45.8

Owens missed a tackle on the 51-yard touchdown and also gave up four catches and a touchdown in coverage. Campbell missed two tackles and gave up two catches; he earned poor grades across the board. Slaton missed a tackle and got a poor run defense grade despite making one stop. McDuffie missed a tackle and gave up a first-down catch. Wyatt had two pressures but missed two tackles; finishing continues to be a big issue.

One other thing I consistently see with Jordan Love.

He is very even keeled even under pressure or at least he looks that way. He seems to be very calm in all situations which is cool to see. It seems like his teammates say this as well.

Wasn't Bart Starr the same way back in the day. Very even keeled under pressure and had a calmness about him?
A good example. He has a handful of throws like this every game. It's not that he doesn't feel the pressure - he does because he anticipates it enough to change his arm angle and not get the pass batted down. He just doesn't give a damn.

Also have to add the caveat that in years gone by, Mack would have flattened him into a pancake but that's not allowed anymore, so it changes the QB's mental state in that situation.

Back