Post Game: Steelers Defeat Green Bay 31-28

I can't remember feeling this upbeat after a loss. Not that I think we're going to turn it around or anything. That was one of our best performances on National TV and we still lost. Made just enough plays to hang in there and not be embarrassed. MM still plays 'not-to-lose' and it costs us every time. The FG attempt was a huge mistake and turned the tide, yes we battled back to tie, but it was the turning point. Kudos to Pitt though, their two playmakers made the plays and they won. Brown's catch was as good as Cook vs Dallas. As other posters pointed out- we didn't hit Big Ben enough.

Thumbs down:
HaHa is NOT physical enough at his position. Last year might be as good as he can play.
No pass rush. Been the story for many, many games
MMs game management. He has a knack for leaving just enough time on the clock to lose.

Thumbs up (because there were a couple):
Williams play. Might be as good as he can do.Breaks tackles, runs hard. Can't create on his own.
Spriggs played well. You can nit pick his performance, but he held up well at RT.
Fackrell played better. No one rushes the passer well on this team. I won't say he played well, but he did play better.
We won the TO battle. Wasn't enough against a better team, but it kept us in the game.
We need a playmaker. Offense or defense and the only way to get that(in the draft) is to lose a couple more games. TT's farewell draft?!?!

I can't remember feeling this upbeat after a loss. Not that I think we're going to turn it around or anything. That was one of our best performances on National TV and we still lost. Made just enough plays to hang in there and not be embarrassed. MM still plays 'not-to-lose' and it costs us every time. The FG attempt was a huge mistake and turned the tide, yes we battled back to tie, but it was the turning point. Kudos to Pitt though, their two playmakers made the plays and they won. Brown's catch was as good as Cook vs Dallas. As other posters pointed out- we didn't hit Big Ben enough.

Thumbs down:
HaHa is NOT physical enough at his position. Last year might be as good as he can play.
No pass rush. Been the story for many, many games
MMs game management. He has a knack for leaving just enough time on the clock to lose.

Thumbs up (because there were a couple):
Williams play. Might be as good as he can do.Breaks tackles, runs hard. Can't create on his own.
Spriggs played well. You can nit pick his performance, but he held up well at RT.
Fackrell played better. No one rushes the passer well on this team. I won't say he played well, but he did play better.
We won the TO battle. Wasn't enough against a better team, but it kept us in the game.
We need a playmaker. Offense or defense and the only way to get that(in the draft) is to lose a couple more games. TT's farewell draft?!?!
Dubz, what I love about your commentaries and contributions is that it is level headed and even keeled. It's not easy. I have failed at my attempts but I do see some positives from the game. I'm surprised as hell and I'll be even more impressed if they can continue to improve. I'm hesitant but I'll give them a chance. I still don't think MM is a QB guru, despite the clamorings of Collinsworth, but I will say that Hundley did some good things.

I will also add that Capers still needs to go.

Last edited:
Glad we played better but the Steelers played bad on D and on O. I think we all realize that.

I disagree. Their O played as well as expected. Their D probably sub par for them. I have nothing to complain about as I hoped for the best but expected the worst. Our D forced 3 turnovers and got some key stops. If the helmet contact on Hundley on the last drive is called it could have gone the other way with the Packers winning on a last second FG.

If the helmet contact on Hundley on the last drive is called it could have gone the other way with the Packers winning on a last second FG.

Agreed. It also pisses me off that, on a final drive, in their house where their kicker is used to kicking, they give up huge gains. No one knew they would be passing? I understand the CBs are injured. Stop using the excuse and attack.

I think our defense did pretty good. Getting three turnovers that the offense was only able to turn into points once was huge key in Pittsburgh's favor, and one of those extra possessions was the drive that went nowhere but backwards and resulted in the really dumb long FG attempt that really took the wind outta GBs sails for a little while. The next two GB drives netted 1:25 TOP total... and Pitt scored two TDs in there (around another forced turnover by our defense).

Also, the rules regarding what the DBs can and can't do to receivers are starting to bug me more and more.

The hands to the face rule is BS.... saw 3 former DB on twitter saying it's not getting called both ways.

NFL is geared toward scoring fans want to see scoring more then a shut out D so will have rules to favor the offense and let offense get away with more.

I really wanted to see the Packers defense, coaching staff and OL step up after the loss of Rodgers.

The turnovers were nice. But... again, the defense allowed 462 yards and couldn’t make that critical stop at the end with 17 seconds left. Your typical Capers' defensive performance.

As far as coaching, why give up a very successful running game? While up 21-14, 1st-and-10 at own 31, MM calls three pass plays resulting in -9 yards and a very ill-advised FG attempt resulting in giving up the ball to the Steelers at the 47 where they quickly tied the game. (The fact that MM said he'd do it again is unsettling... C'mon Mike, admit it was a bonehead decision and move forward. We'd have much more respect for you.) Then, while tied with plenty of time left, follow this up by calling pass plays on five of the next six plays resulting in two 3-and-outs and and a total ToP of 1:25 in these two series? sh)) This collapse (the FG attempt being the most egregious) after an otherwise well-called game by MM caused a quick 14-point swing and probably the loss!

That said... I expected a blow-out, thinking it pure lunacy to believe that the Packers would win this one. I neither expected Hundley's performance nor Williams' running and screen game! Hundley looked much better than he did against the Ravens and makes me believe the Pack can, and may, win the next two against TB and Cleveland.

Like Oakleaf, I never expected to win, so what I saw wasn't unexpected. What did tick me off was watching a Packer offense play as good as they possibly could under the circumstances, and watch as our defense proved inept, and unable to even handle the fundamental caveats of defense. Capers needs to be held accountable for that last drive, which was fueled by our DBs playing so far off receivers that moving down the field was inevitable. They knew they could pick up chunks of 10 to 15 yards on every play because of our prevent.

Then, even more frustrating, is listening to McCarthy explaining away the loss again, to injuries. He's always finding a way to deflect things, and saying the Watt hit on Hundley pretty much cost us the win. Yet... as usual... he says he shoulders the responsibility.

Fortunately, the season is winding down.

Mike McCarthy and Mike McCarthy alone is responsible for this loss. That FG attempt was one of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen in 35 years of watching the NFL. That attempt changed the entire momentum of the game. A coach with 10 years+ coaching should have known what missing that FG would mean. He did it anyway. Then at the end of the game, while the game was still tied, to run those plays and leave time on the clock is completely, utter stupidity.

To further evidence the decline in this storied franchise, there are currently 1,461 tickets for sale by Packer fans for next Sunday's home game. Knowing how hard it is to get Packer tickets, its shocking how many people are willing to dump their tickets. The Buffoons in the front office and coaching staff have had enough time to get it done. Time for change in Green Bay.

Back