Post Game.... Steelers Defeat GB 24-19

Another note, as I'm remembering them: HaHa Clinton Dix. He has a terrible habit of ducking his head and lunging at ball carriers and winds up bouncing off or missing altogether. When he actually keeps his head up and wraps up he tackles fine. He had a couple nice hard hits as the game went on but early he was bad. Think it was the second play of the game but he had Leveon Bell dead to rights at the LOS, ducked his head and Bell spun out of the tackle. Luckily Demarius Randall had charged in and made the play, otherwise it could have gone for some yards.

I was pleased with Randall yesterday when you consider that was his first preseason game.

Was it just me or was Ryan invisible yesterday. I saw nothing from him. I was looking forward to seeing him improve after a decent first preseason game.

ILB still a very weak position.

Was it just me or was Ryan invisible yesterday. I saw nothing from him. I was looking forward to seeing him improve after a decent first preseason game.

ILB still a very weak position.

DL got owned yesterday at times... as always your LB can't work when the defense is in the 2nd level consistently.

What We Learned…

We learned that the NFL preseason is a cruel, dark place. At the time of the writing of this piece, a final diagnosis for Jordy Nelson, after his non-contact injury on Sunday, has not yet been made public. From all appearances, however, it is likely Jordy’s season is over. While it’s not a death sentence for the offense it reminds us, again, how a position of overwhelming depth can become paper thin with the tear of one ligament.

We learned again that Ladarius Gunter is doing everything he can to make the 53 man roster. At this point his performance may make it impossible to stash him on the practice squad, forcing the Packers to offer him a roster spot. Gunter is definitely not the fastest in the secondary, but his ability to jam and make plays on the ball have been highlighted in the first two preseason games.

#Packers CB Ladarius Gunter has been targeted 10 times this preseason. Allowed 4 catches for 36 yards, w/INT. 10.8 passer rating against.

— Zach Kruse (@zachkruse2) August 24, 2015

We also learned that the defensive secondary as a whole is going to be fun to watch. With the lack of experience, there will be mistakes, but the current crop of rookies seem to be very good at locating and making plays on the ball. Damarious Randall showed, in an obviously limited sample size, that he has the same knack for making plays.

What We Think We Learned…

We think we learned that the Packers offense is going to look vastly different with no Jordy Nelson to present the deep threat and “shot play” that opposing defenses constantly have to respect. With the loss of Nelson, the Packers are going to need Richard Rodgers and Davante Adams to accelerate their progress and become reliable pieces in the offense.

Richard Rodgers showed a little of what has fans and the coaching staff excited on his 21 yard touchdown reception in the game Sunday. While not technically a red zone score, it is exactly what a Jordy-less Packers offense will need to stay potent.

It won’t go down as a red-zone TD, but the 21-yard TD catch by Richard Rodgers is exactly what MM was talking about last week with the TE.

— Rob Demovsky (@RobDemovsky) August 23, 2015

We think we learned that the Packers set Don Barclay up to fail on Sunday. Given that Barclay has not before played left tackle in the NFL it was curious when the Packers announced that he would be starting there for the second preseason game. Since most believe that in a regular season game Barclay would play on the right side in the event of a Bakhtiari injury, it made little sense to leave a guy recovering from an ACL out there to look foolish when it wasn’t necessary. Plays like this show why you can’t put a man battling rust and with a lack of experience out there without considering how it will affect his confidence and the team.

What We Hope Isn’t True…

We hope that this isn’t the sign of terrible things to come for the Packers’ offense, and we doubt it is. With a deep group (albeit a young one) at wide receiver, you aren’t going to replace Jordy Nelson, but the tools available may make his temporary departure easier to take. Expect the young receivers to struggle in the early going before Rodgers adjusts to playing with new passing threats. Expect Eddie Lacy and Richard Rodgers to play important parts in the passing game while the deep game develops. Expect to see why 12 is the best in the game.

Continue reading...

What We Learned…

We think we learned that the Packers set Don Barclay up to fail on Sunday. Given that Barclay has not before played left tackle in the NFL it was curious when the Packers announced that he would be starting there for the second preseason game. Since most believe that in a regular season game Barclay would play on the right side in the event of a Bakhtiari injury, it made little sense to leave a guy recovering from an ACL out there to look foolish when it wasn’t necessary. Plays like this show why you can’t put a man battling rust and with a lack of experience out there without considering how it will affect his confidence and the team....

gotta say i agree with this.

Maybe not setting him up to fail just by playing him, but that series down on the 1 yard line? Yes. You don't put the QB in shotgun from the 1 with a rusty LT playing there for the first time professionally. That's just asking for disaster, which they were lucky to avoid.

Some highlights of my final grades Pack vs Steelers.

Offense/OL

Barclay scored an ugly -3 on my sheet with -1.8 in pass pro. Alonzo Harris was a -1.9 for me with drops etc and both the 3rd and 4th string QB scored in the negative for the day.

Top players on O Linsley,Taylor and Sitton and Tolzien all had good days .

Defense

BJ Raji stunk up the place with a -2.4 for me run and pass he played like the stay puff marshmallow man. Behind him were Neal and OLB Rasco who's puss rush grades and missed tackles just make you go bh(

Positive grades on defense went to Peppers,Ringo and Randell with Gunter getting a team high +3.8. Gunter needs one more solid game to wrap up that roster spot but his numbers are fantastic right now.

Joe Whitt is talking about how he's earned reps with the starters, it's time to call it - he's in. Give him the Sam Shields award, he's forced his way in.

What was Gaston's grade? I know he had an offsides I think but I thought he flashed for a backup.

Back