Post Game Packers fall 24-21 to San Fran

I brought this up in shout last night but Bob McGinn i think was the only media guy noticing the bad snaps. Says it’s been happening all season, no one fixes it or points it out and Bisaccia tolerates it. Whole operation bit them.
What were the options this year though? You think they didn't want to fix it? This roster is being turned over under the constraint of a bad cap situation that is 100% Gutes fault without the expectation going into the season of playing in the 2nd weekend of the playoffs. This IMO is an off season talent evaluation problem, and is on the special teams coordinator, the head coach, and talent evaluators in training camp.. once the regular season starts, if they guy isn't they guy you thought, there aren't very many options out there. stud long snappers aren't sitting around at home waiting for someone to call. They did move on to a new ls this year, and to a guy in Orzich I think who has been there in big spots before. The guy they released never caught on anywhere else, and if I recall right, snaps were a bit of a problem last year too.

Here are my thoughts..

Why did the Packers lose this game??

1 - coaching decisions by a coach who hadn't been in this spot before
2 - decision making by a first year QB late
3 - special teams play

This is exactly why it's invaluable for the youngest team in the NFL to be in this spot. Would it have been more valuable to win this game, and play in the NFC championship game? Perhaps. But.. ML hopefully learned that if you believe you will win this game like you said you did, you don't act desperate and you take that FG. JL will learn that you don't play desperate on first down late and make a throw you shouldn't.. He makes that throw on 4th down late, it's fine, but not on first down with plenty of time left. Gute hopefully learned that as the cap opens up a little bit, special teams are important, and the long snapper is a critical part of the team. Not something you spend a ton of money on, but you need a good one.

Lots of lessons to learn from this season for both the team, and the fans. We learned we have our next QB. We learned this young group of draft picks are legit. What don't we know? Which is the real Gute?? The guy who often whiffed or drafted guys too high early in his tenure IMO, or the guy who drafted the last 2 years?? Maybe he's not the idiot I thought he was early and has learned from his mistakes too?? We learned this defense can in fact play now that the offense has grown into a productive unit. A defense built to play with a good offense often doesn't look great when the offense isn't because most defenses cannot be constructed to be stout against the run and effective stopping the pass. There are exceptions obviously.
Re: the defense, i though the difference in the game was their LBs, compared to our LBs. I like Quay but Campbell just looks old and slow, no explosion, late. McDuffie is a fine backup but don’t want him starting. Defenses personnel wise is just in the same place they spent a lot of time in previous years - poor up the middle. Seems the org doesn’t value ILB/S and they need to change that this year.

ML didn't coach like this was a team they thought they would win when he went for it on 4th down early.. that reeked of a coach who didn't think the team was able to line up and beat the other team, that they had to take unnecessary risk to beat them.
See I 100% disagree, I think 99% of coaches do that in this game. Too damn much sofa coaching is the issued

Re: the defense, i though the difference in the game was their LBs, compared to our LBs. I like Quay but Campbell just looks old and slow, no explosion, late. McDuffie is a fine backup but don’t want him starting. Defenses personnel wise is just in the same place they spent a lot of time in previous years - poor up the middle. Seems the org doesn’t value ILB/S and they need to change that this year.
Their defense really isn't the reason the Packers lost though. The difference isn't as substantial as people think. The difference really was McCaffery. Neither defense was especially impressive against the run last night, but GB was actually slightly more effective running the ball, though based on memory, I think SF may have been more effective running inside, could be wrong on that.

See I 100% disagree, I think 99% of coaches do that in this game. Too damn much sofa coaching is the issued
Sofa coaching didn't make that play fail LOL. I don't know if 99% is the number, but the number is certainly higher among the younger coaches in the league. I agree if you can execute it as effectively as Philly. I just think that in the playoffs points are too valuable especially with a team that doesn't have the reputation for executing this play. If this isn't something you have done with a high rate of success during the regular season against lesser teams, I don't know why you do it in that spot against a defense like SF's.

Here are my thoughts..

Why did the Packers lose this game??

1 - coaching decisions by a coach who hadn't been in this spot before
2 - decision making by a first year QB late
3 - special teams play

This is exactly why it's invaluable for the youngest team in the NFL to be in this spot. Would it have been more valuable to win this game, and play in the NFC championship game? Perhaps. But.. ML hopefully learned that if you believe you will win this game like you said you did, you don't act desperate and you take that FG. JL will learn that you don't play desperate on first down late and make a throw you shouldn't.. He makes that throw on 4th down late, it's fine, but not on first down with plenty of time left. Gute hopefully learned that as the cap opens up a little bit, special teams are important, and the long snapper is a critical part of the team. Not something you spend a ton of money on, but you need a good one.

Lots of lessons to learn from this season for both the team, and the fans. We learned we have our next QB. We learned this young group of draft picks are legit. What don't we know? Which is the real Gute?? The guy who often whiffed or drafted guys too high early in his tenure IMO, or the guy who drafted the last 2 years?? Maybe he's not the idiot I thought he was early and has learned from his mistakes too?? We learned this defense can in fact play now that the offense has grown into a productive unit. A defense built to play with a good offense often doesn't look great when the offense isn't because most defenses cannot be constructed to be stout against the run and effective stopping the pass. There are exceptions obviously.
Yes/No..... If they make any of those 3 almost picks the game is different. If they have a complimentary RB to Jones then the game is different. What if Tom doesn't get hurt...the what if list is long and to be blunt most of it has zero to do with coaching and 99.9% of it was known weeks before we got here.

I don't know how you can be critical of coaching after they took the youngest team in football, a 7th seed to the elite 8 and were within half a quarter of the NFC championship. To me, that's just an emotional overreaction. If you step back and look at the big picture, they went toe to toe with the best team in the NFL and almost pulled it off. tc(

Yes/No..... If they make any of those 3 almost picks the game is different. If they have a complimentary RB to Jones then the game is different. What if Tom doesn't get hurt...the what if list is long and to be blunt most of it has zero to do with coaching and 99.9% of it was known weeks before we got here.

I don't know how you can be critical of coaching after they took the youngest team in football, a 7th seed to the elite 8 and were within half a quarter of the NFC championship. To me, that's just an emotional overreaction. If you step back and look at the big picture, they went toe to toe with the best team in the NFL and almost pulled it off. tc(
I don't disagree with that at all, and I'm not being as critical of the coaching staff as you think I am. My points were mostly to say that a lot of pieces of this team were in a spot to learn and decisions may not be the same next time. Is it a different play call on 4th and short? Maybe not. Is it a different level of commitment in the offseason and next regular season to be in spot where you can execute 4th and short with a higher chance of success?? It's not just the decision to go for it, it's the decision to go for it with the guys you have against their guys. I think every NFL team will spend time this offseason developing their version of the tush push if that play isn't outlawed in the offseason.

Missed opportunities. Missed opportunities. Missed opportunities.

This will be remembered as a “woulda, coulda, shoulda” loss.

Team grew up this season. Future looks good. But this could have been a magical playoff run out of somewhat nowhere.
I don't agree with how you think this will be remembered at all.. I think in 5 years we will look back at this and see it as the valuable experience these young guys got that proved invaluable to teams making deeper postseason runs.

Bottom line is the defense played well but didn't make a couple game changing plays on the gimme INTs Purdy threw them....and then when it mattered most it felt like the Dline ran out of gas with the pass rush.

And, Love/the offense played terribly in the 4th quarter besides the big Jones run - some of it is conservative playcalling, but he was throwing behind receivers in the middle of the field and that last INT was a brutal decision. Tough conditions to throw the ball in, no doubt - but the decisions just have to be better, too.

Yeah, kicker's gotta make 40 yard field goals and that sucks, too - but the Packers had multiple opportunities to go up two scores in both halves of football and couldn't find a way to make those plays against a team that wasn't just going to hand it to them. young team playing on the road an all, and next season looks much more promising than it did back in October....but it also stings losing a game which they should have won. This game felt a bit like a more tempered version of the NFC Championship game loss at Seattle - can't capitalize early and take a big lead, then offense whithers a bit when they could have salted the game away in the 4th quarter.

Back