Playoffs Game 1 : Official Green Bay Vs New York Giants Thread

Packers 34
Giants 27

Both teams will have plenty of opportunities to score. The Packers will have an edge based on their passing game being stronger than the Giants.

As much as the turmoil is at CB for the Packers, the very fact that they will blow coverage can also lead to turn overs. QBs go to the sideline saying; "What was he doing out there? That wasn't where he was supposed to be in that defense!?

Sometimes a negative can become a positive. Having my fingers crossed on being right.

Call me crazy, I think we can actually win this game. Giants pounded us in 2007 and 2011 because our O was soft and their O was physical. They still have a physical D but our O is light years better equipped to handle that now than they were back then. On the other hand, their O isn't the same as it used to be. OL isn't the same, RBs aren't the same, WR aren't the same. If AR gets on rhythm early we should be able to play ahead on D. That's our bread and butter. Get down early or if it's close late, then the D is going to wear down and break.

Cookie might be the big difference in this game. Evidently the Gmen have problems covering TEs like him. ch(

Weather shouldnt be a factor. Around 10-12 degrees. Much improvement over minus 18 we had yesterday

Unless a player is listed as doubtful, they usually play in a big game. The injury list has turned into a real cat-and-mouse game for teams. Teams list players as injured, and it's supposed to stop the opposition from making a specific game plan. Problem is, most staffs around the league know how it works, and don't spend too much time preparing for "what if's" anymore. That's one of the reasons we see so many teams lacking the ability of making half-time adjustments, or even in-game adjustments, as it's played.

Over the years, coaches like Belichek were accused of tagging people as doubtful when there wasn't that much wrong with the player. Lo and behold, game time decision... the guy had a miraculous recovery, and was going to be out there.

Of course the league frowned on that. They frown on a lot of things. Don't do anything about it, but the frown lines in the front office of the NFL are deeper than furrows in a newly plowed corn field.

An interesting discussion last night. If the NFL had done nothing about inflate-gate. What would have stopped a team from filling their kicking balls with helium? They could say, "The equipment boy did it by accident. We told him to fill 12 balloons with helium, the dumb ass filled 12 footballs. Should we suspend him for a week?"

An interesting discussion last night. If the NFL had done nothing about inflate-gate. What would have stopped a team from filling their kicking balls with helium? They could say, "The equipment boy did it by accident. We told him to fill 12 balloons with helium, the dumb ass filled 12 footballs. Should we suspend him for a week?"

I know rules aren't the same as laws, but the first question for me is did anything 'illegal' really happen? Trying to follow the science of it during that period made my head hurt.

Assuming somebody did prove the footballs were indeed under-inflated, my next question would be the penalty. You ask what would happen if they did nothing - I'd say there's a large of area for discussion between that and what actually happened.

I realize the helium reference is probably hyperbole, but it does offer one point - there would be no doubt it was an prohibited gas instead of air. Actually, now that I think about it, does the rule state that the required pressure has to come from ambient air?

Perhaps doing nothing was the right position to take. The response might have been 'you know, this is a pretty stupid rule, thanks for showing us the error of our ways'. For one thing, Brady did better after the 'problem' was fixed. For another, I'm on the side of allowing personal deviations to sports equipment. All baseballs are uniform, but the bats can vary, within limits - same thing for gloves. All hockey pucks are uniform, but the sticks can be individualized. Why not allow quarterbacks to throw footballs that are comfortable?

Other than that, I agree with the dicussion. :)

Back