Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
thedopesheet.jpg

GREEN BAY (10-6) vs. N.Y. GIANTS (11-5)

Sunday, Jan. 8 l Lambeau Field l 3:40 p.m. CST
The Green Bay Packers will take on the New York Giants at Lambeau Field. It is the Giants’ second trip to Green Bay this season, having previously lost to the Packers, 23-16, in Week 5.
Since 2010, the Packers have played the Giants six times (including playoffs), tied for the most games against a non-division opponent (Atlanta Falcons, San Francisco 49ers).
Green Bay has played the Giants seven times in the postseason and holds a 4-3 record. The two teams last met in the playoffs in 2012, a 37-20 New York victory at Lambeau Field in the Divisional round.
Sunday’s game will be the Packers’ eighth postseason meeting against the Giants, the most against one opponent (seven vs. Dallas and San Francisco).

POSTSEASON PACKERS
The Packers earned the 32nd postseason berth in team history and the franchise’s 19th appearance in the last 24 seasons.
Green Bay clinched its eighth consecutive playoff berth, which is tied for the third-longest streak in NFL history behind two teams with nine (Dallas, 1975-83; Indianapolis, 2002-10). It marks just the eighth time in NFL history that a franchise has had a streak of eight-plus playoff berths.
Mike McCarthy became just the fourth head coach in NFL history to lead a single franchise to eight-plus consecutive playoff appearances, joining Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and Bill Belichick.
The Packers have made the playoffs nine times in 11 seasons under McCarthy.
McCarthy’s nine postseason appearances are the most by a Packers coach since the NFL postseason began in 1933.
The Packers have won five NFC North titles in the last six years, the most in the NFC over that span with no other NFC club winning more than three division titles since 2011.
Green Bay has recorded 10 or more wins 16 times in the last 22 seasons (since 1995) after registering 10-plus victories just 13 times in the first 74 seasons the Packers were in the NFL (1921-1994).
McCarthy's eight regular seasons with 10-plus wins are a franchise record (since 1921).
Green Bay's eight 10-plus-win regular seasons since 2006 are the most in the NFC and tied for the second most (Indianapolis) in the NFL over that span (New England, 11).
Green Bay finished the regular season with six consecutive wins, becoming the only team in the NFL to have a winning streak of four-plus games in each of the last eight seasons (2009-16). The six-game winning streak is the longest to end the season by the Packers since a nine-game streak in 1941. Green Bay has registered a winning streak of four-plus games in 10 of 11 seasons under McCarthy.
In Aaron Rodgers ’ nine seasons as starting quarterback (since 2008), the Packers have recorded 10-plus wins seven times, the second-most seasons with 10 or more wins from 2008-16 (New England, nine).

WITH THE CALL
FOX Sports, now in its 23rd season as an NFL network television partner, will broadcast the game to a national audience.
Play-by-play man Joe Buck joins analyst Troy Aikman and sideline reporters Erin Andrews and Chris Myers.
Milwaukee’s WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in five states. Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro Bowler Larry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team’s broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 22nd season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 18th season of broadcasts together.
Westwood One Sports will air the game on radio across the country. Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) and James Lofton (analyst) will call the action, with Hub Arkush reporting from the sidelines and Scott Graham hosting the pregame and halftime shows.
The broadcast is also available on Sirius Satellite Radio (WTMJ feed).

THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT:
Packers vs. Giants:
All-time, Regular season: 28-23-2
All-time, Postseason: 4-3
All-time, in Green Bay: 9-7-0
Streaks: The Packers won the last regular-season matchup (Week 5 this season) while New York has won the last two postseason meetings.
Last meeting, postseason: Jan. 15, 2012; Giants won, 37-20, Lambeau Field

COACHES CAPSULES
Mike McCarthy: 122-68-1, .641 (incl. 8-7 postseason); 11th NFL season
Ben McAdoo: 11-5-0, .688; 1st NFL season
Head to Head: McCarthy 1-0
vs. Opponent: McCarthy 4-4 vs. Giants; McAdoo 0-1 vs. Packers

MIKE McCARTHY…Is in his 11th year as the Packers’ 14th head coach.
Joined Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only coaches to guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a win over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.
Led the Packers to their eighth consecutive playoff appearance this season, joining New England as the only two NFL teams to do so over that span. Has also led the team to nine playoff appearances in the last 10 years (2007, 2009-16).
Guided the Packers to top-10 finishes in scoring in eight straight seasons (2007-14), joining the Patriots as the only other team to accomplish the feat over that time; Packers finished first overall in scoring in 2014.
His .651 winning percentage during the regular season (114-61-1) ranks No. 2 among active NFL head coaches (min. 50 games).
Had 114 regular-season wins in his first 11 seasons as a head coach, tied for No. 3 in NFL history.

BEN McADOO…Is in his first year as the Giants’ 17th head coach.
Coordinated the third-ranked offense in franchise history in 2015 (372.0 yards per game) and fifth-best unit in team annals in 2014 (367.2).
Guided QB Eli Manning to career highs in TDs (35) and passer rating (93.6) in 2015.
New York’s 66 passing TDs during his tenure as offensive coordinator the past two seasons ranks fourth in the NFL.
Coached Packers QB Aaron Rodgers to a passer rating of 106.9 over two seasons (2012-13) as Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach, No. 2 in the NFL over that span.
Is one of three current head coaches that was once an assistant for Green Bay.

THE PACKERS-GIANTS SERIES
The winner of each playoff matchup between the Packers and Giants has won the NFL Championship or Super Bowl.
After New York won the first matchup, 6-0, in 1928, the Packers followed up by winning six of the next seven contests.
Green Bay’s five-game winning streak from 1961-69 included two NFL Championship games and is the longest streak of the series.
New York and Green Bay met in the NFL Championship five times (1938, 1939, 1944, 1961 and 1962) with Green Bay winning each except 1938.
The Packers and Giants met in the postseason during the Super Bowl era in the NFC Championship during the 2007 postseason and the NFC Divisional round during the 2011 playoffs.

NOTABLE CONNECTIONS
Giants head coach Ben McAdoo coached tight ends (2006-11) and quarterbacks (2012-13) for the Packers under Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy...Giants offensive line coach Mike Solari was Green Bay’s assistant offensive line coach in 2015...Green Bay DT Mike Daniels is from Blackwood, N.J. ...Packers P Jacob Schum (2010-11) and RB James Starks (2006-09) played at Buffalo and are from Hamburg, N.Y., and Niagara Falls, N.Y., respectively...Packers QB Joe Callahan is from Absecon, N.J. ...New York secondary/cornerbacks coach Tim Walton was a defensive intern for the Packers in the summer of 2001...Giants T Marshall Newhouse was a fifth-round pick by Green Bay in 2010 and played for the Packers through 2013...Giants LB Jonathan Casillas played at Wisconsin from 2005-08...Packers tight ends coach Brian Angelichio grew up in Ilion N.Y., and later coached at SUNY-Brockport (1995) and Ithaca College (1996-2005)...Green Bay quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt coached at the University at Buffalo in 2006...Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was a player personnel intern with Washington in 1983 when Packers president & chief executive officer Mark Murphy led the league with nine INTs as an All-Pro safety for the Redskins...McCarthy and McAdoo were colleagues in New Orleans (2004) and San Francisco (2005)...Packers TE Jared Cook played in St. Louis with Giants CB Janoris Jenkins (2013-15) and was coached by Giants quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti Jr. in 2015...Cook was teammates in Tennessee with New York CB Coty Sensabaugh in 2012...New York assistant special teams coach Dwayne Stukes coached Packers LB Julius Peppers in Chicago in 2013...Peppers played in Chicago from 2010-13 with Giants K Robbie Gould...Cignetti Jr. coached in New Orleans from 2000-01 with Packers associate head coach/linebackers Winston Moss, special teams coordinator Ron Zook and McCarthy...Cignetti Jr. also coached with Zook in Kansas City in 1999 and with Green Bay running backs coach Ben Sirmans in St. Louis from 2012-15...In Kansas City, Solari coached with Green Bay associate head coach/offense Tom Clements (2000), McCarthy (1997-98) and Zook (1999)...Van Pelt was colleagues with Stukes in Tampa Bay while he coached QB Josh Johnson from 2010-11...Sirmans and Walton coached in St. Louis in 2013...Giants LB Eric Pinkins played in Seattle with Green Bay RB Christine Michael in 2015...Giants LB Kelvin Sheppard and DE Olivier Vernon were Dolphins teammates with Green Bay LB Jordan Tripp during the 2014 season...Packers secondary-safeties coach Darren Perry worked with New York wide receivers coach Adam Henry in Oakland from 2007-08...Angelichio spent two seasons (2012-13) in Tampa Bay with Giants offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan...Green Bay assistant linebackers coach Scott McCurley coached at Pittsburgh with McAdoo in 2003...Packers wide receivers coach Luke Getsy (2010), Angelichio (2009-10) and McCarthy (1989) coached at Pittsburgh with Cignetti Jr. ...Cignetti Jr. and Angelichio spent one year (2011) at Rutgers...Zook and Solari spent two seasons (1981-82) at Cincinnati and one (1983) at Kansas...Packers DT Kenny Clark (2014), QB Brett Hundley (2012, 2014) and DE/LB Datone Jones (2011-12) played at UCLA with New York DE Owa Odighizuwa...Clark (2013-15) and Hundley (2013-14) were teammates with Giants RB Paul Perkins at UCLA...New York WR Sterling Shepard played three seasons (2012-14) at Oklahoma with Packers FB Aaron Ripkowski ...Packers LB Nick Perry and Giants LB Devon Kennard played at Southern California from 2009-11...Packers C Corey Linsley played at Ohio State from 2010-12 with New York DT Johnathan Hankins...Green Bay CB LaDarius Gunter played at Miami with Giants T Ereck Flowers...Michael and Henry are both from Beaumont, Texas.

LAST MEETING, POSTSEASON
Jan. 15, 2012, Lambeau Field, Giants won, 37-20
QB Aaron Rodgers completed 26 of his 46 attempts (56.5 percent) for 264 yards with two TDs and one INT (78.5 passer rating) while also leading the team with 66 rushing yards.
New York WR Hakeem Nicks had seven receptions for 165 yards (23.6 avg.) and two TDs.
Giants QB Eli Manning completed 21 of 33 passes (63.6 percent) for 330 yards with three TDs and one INT (114.5 passer rating).

Should be a tough fight. NYG also one of the hottest teams in the NFC right now. Have found a run game of sorts and the D has been stepping up.

GB just needs to take care of business. No mistakes.

NYG won't beat you with offense. It beats you with defense.

Week 16 of the 2010 season. Green Bay was favored by 3.0 vs the NY Giants. It was cold and the Packers were in a tough spot. They were 8-6 going into the game and the Giants were 9-5. The Packers needed to win out and also needed some help just to get a Wild card. The Packers dominated the game 45-17. Eli threw 4 picks and the Giants turned the ball over 6 times. The turnovers were too much for the Giants 7th ranked defense to overcome. The Packers went on to Chicago the next week and beat the division champs 10-3 to seal the 6th playoff spot and never looked back from there winning on the road three times in route to the Super Bowl Championship.

I see a lot of talk about how Manning is 2-0 vs Green Bay in the playoffs at Lambeau. The 2010, week 16 matchup was for a shot at the playoffs and the Giants laid an egg. I don't see the Packers repeating this type of performance this week but I also don't expect the Giants to come in and roll the Packers either.

We're gonna need to find that 2011 gear for this Packers offense if we wanna make a run. I'm terrified of this defense even if Rollins/Randall are good to go. Not giving up every single underneath route and allowing hail mary's to be converted would certainly help...

One thing in our favor is the Gmen's offense isn't as good as Detroit's is. They really have no running game and their O line isn't the greatest. Perhaps our pass rushers can get after Eli and force him into turnovers?

Keep a hat on Damon Harrison please. He can be a disrupter.

One thing in our favor is the Gmen's offense isn't as good as Detroit's is. They really have no running game and their O line isn't the greatest. Perhaps our pass rushers can get after Eli and force him into turnovers?

According to what I have read anyway...it seems that the Giants have found a running game in a player by the name of Perkins... I think. At least he was running all over Washington.

I sure hope Capers can create a game plan to shore up the DB's. The Packers recently brought up Herb Waters from the Practice Squad who has been an WR and now they want him to play CB???cra)

You mean they can't find a veteran CB anywhere that might be able to help?

I don't know what it is but I have a good feeling about this one. And I do not have good feelings very often. (see half empty :))

I feel good about the way AR is playing. I feel good about the way the o-line is playing. I feel good about Monty and the Rip combination. I feel good about how Jordy is now playing.

I feel good that the Giants have struggled with the run. I feel good that their offense is worst than Detroit's. I feel good that the D has been causing TO's the last 4 or 5 games. I fell good that we are at home at Lambeau.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I will be at the game that I feel so good. :D

I am not going to call a score because I don't want to jinx it but like I said, I am feeling good about the outcome of this one.

I don't know what it is but I have a good feeling about this one. And I do not have good feelings very often. (see half empty :))

I feel good about the way AR is playing. I feel good about the way the o-line is playing. I feel good about Monty and the Rip combination. I feel good about how Jordy is now playing.

I feel good that the Giants have struggled with the run. I feel good that their offense is worst than Detroit's. I feel good that the D has been causing TO's the last 4 or 5 games. I fell good that we are at home at Lambeau.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I will be at the game that I feel so good. :D

I am not going to call a score because I don't want to jinx it but like I said, I am feeling good about the outcome of this one.
I like your way of thinking. Have fun at the game and bring back a victory.

Back