Packers Cuts to 75

Exactly. Then the Packers decide if they want to pay him off or carry him on IR the rest of the season. It's fairly rare where a guy will be grabbed. Usually the injury is bad enough the guy will be out for several months, making it unlikely he will return. I think it's only applicable to guys through their first four years in the league. Could be wrong on that point.
You are correct

1. Players with less than four years of service time are “waived” and are subject to waivers. The waiver period in the NFL is 24 hours. So, a player waived on Tuesday can be claimed by another team by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday. If multiple teams place a waiver claim on the same player, the player is awarded to the team with the highest waiver priority (the reverse order of the standings, worst to first). If a player goes unclaimed, he clears waivers and is a free agent, free to sign wherever he can find work.
2. Players with 4+ seasons of service time are “released.” These players, known as “vested veterans,” do not pass through waivers and are free agents immediately, free to sign with any other team.
These rules apply until the trade deadline (presently the Tuesday after Week 8 of the NFL season). After the trade deadline (until the start of the next league year in March), all players – whether a vested veteran or a non-vested veteran – are subject to the waiver process.
3. Injured players with 4+ seasons of service time can be immediately placed on Injured Reserve (IR).
4. Up until the first cutdown date, injured players with less than four years of service cannot go onto IR until they pass through waivers. Those players are released with the “waived/injured” designation. Known as “injury waivers,” this process exposes the player to waivers, but warns other teams that the player is injured. If the player clears injury waivers, the team can then either place the player on IR or agree to an injury settlement (paying the player for the weeks that he is expected to be recovering from his injury) and then release the player.
It is important to keep in mind that injury waivers only apply during the offseason, up until the first cutdown date. So, as of the first cutdown date, a player with less than four years of service time can be placed directly on IR, although some teams will still use the “waived-injured” designation, hoping that another team will claim the player, thereby relieving them of the financial responsibility for a player on IR.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/waiver-rules/

McCray was traded to the Bills for a 2018 draft pick. That's another down.

Last edited:
Masthay out, generic scrub punter from Tampa in.

Masthay out, generic scrub punter from Tampa in.
Yep this makes zero sense. This guy actually had a worse average then Masthay did last year. Only thing is this guy is cheaper.

I'm hoping they're not done with P yet. If they want an inexperienced scrub they could have kept Mortell, at least he's had experience holding for Crosby.

Something is fishy with this move.... This looks like MM out thinking himself again. Thinking he's the smartest guy in the room.. It is not an upgrade, and it throws your K for a loop cause he has to get used to a new holder he's never met in a few short weeks. not to mention your coverage team.

yeah, i thought the big thing with mortell was that he was a great holder. now we get rid of both guys who have a working relationship with our kicker?

I don't understand either the Masthay or McCray moves.

You get rid of Mortell and then dump Masthay a day later and leave your kicker (who is coming off a great season) wondering how the late move to a new holder will work out.

You sign McCray in the off-season to add depth to the LB corps and then trade him before he ever plays a snap for you. Why? He looked better than Elliott, IMO. Seems like Ted just can bear to let go of one of his "discoveries".

I sure hope these moves work out and I'm glad Ted got a pick for McCray but I'm guessing the pick will be late enough that it becomes sort of a throw-away pick.

Back