Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

It's amazing. The average NFL team has 15 assistant coaches. The most important one is the coach that explains to the players that in the NFL, the jock goes inside, not outside the pants! shots)

Seems Aaron Jones was pretty pissed about the paycut GB offered him and thus why he left

According to The Athletic’s Matt Schneidman, the Packers’ final offer for Jones was a $6 million deal, with a $4 million base salary and $2 million in incentives. The Vikings, meanwhile, offered him a $6 million base salary with $1 million in incentives.

Got to figure the incentives were largerly based on him staying healthy and playing in games.

Seems Aaron Jones was pretty pissed about the paycut GB offered him and thus why he left

According to The Athletic’s Matt Schneidman, the Packers’ final offer for Jones was a $6 million deal, with a $4 million base salary and $2 million in incentives. The Vikings, meanwhile, offered him a $6 million base salary with $1 million in incentives.

Got to figure the incentives were largerly based on him staying healthy and playing in games.
I said it earlier - but unfortunately for Jones he's caught up in the "devaluation" of Running backs. You would have hoped GB mgmt would have figured out a way to keep him, but something must have happened during the contract talks. Whether it was his agent, or the Packers - they're both working towards doing what's in their best interest financially. I like Jacobs, I think he's a step up from a healthy Jones . . . . but if he doesn't perform, this is really going to look bad for Packers brass.

I said it earlier - but unfortunately for Jones he's caught up in the "devaluation" of Running backs. You would have hoped GB mgmt would have figured out a way to keep him, but something must have happened during the contract talks. Whether it was his agent, or the Packers - they're both working towards doing what's in their best interest financially. I like Jacobs, I think he's a step up from a healthy Jones . . . . but if he doesn't perform, this is really going to look bad for Packers brass.
Jones probably knows this is his last chance for a decent payday so he went with more gauranteed. Cant blame him. Also can’t blame the Packers for wanting things to be incentive based. It’s business.

I think Jacob’s offers more overall plus he’s younger. Was a good move for both sides.

Jones probably knows this is his last chance for a decent payday so he went with more gauranteed. Cant blame him. Also can’t blame the Packers for wanting things to be incentive based. It’s business.

I think Jacob’s offers more overall plus he’s younger. Was a good move for both sides.
I not sure if the $2 million difference really played into it that much. Jones has made a lot of money in his career. I think it's just GB asked him now 2 years in a row to make a cut and this cut was 2/3rd of what he was supposed to make this year. That's probably what was hard for him to take was such a big cut. But as said this is a business GB had to look at Jones age and injury history saying if he has another injury plagued year like last year we can't invest that much risk into him. Jones I don't blame him either. He's been a loyal member of the Packers did a paycut last year and now GB comes back this year asking him to take a even bigger paycut. I don't blame either side for how they acted.

I not sure if the $2 million difference really played into it that much. Jones has made a lot of money in his career. I think it's just GB asked him now 2 years in a row to make a cut and this cut was 2/3rd of what he was supposed to make this year. That's probably what was hard for him to take was such a big cut. But as said this is a business GB had to look at Jones age and injury history saying if he has another injury plagued year like last year we can't invest that much risk into him. Jones I don't blame him either. He's been a loyal member of the Packers did a paycut last year and now GB comes back this year asking him to take a even bigger paycut. I don't blame either side for how they acted.
Sports is an entertainment business. It's unfortunate that GB had to ask him for another pay cut, but in all honesty his contract was very generous. Feelings always get hurt when it comes to this, the players can't admit that they're coming to the end - but the coaches see it.

I'm inclined to agree. I got the impression that he had already proved he was a team player in a previous cut, so they were kind of slapping him in the face this time around. In the end, it became all business because of it, as far as I can see.

I think the issue is that when Jones initially signed his extension, it really wasn't meant to last this long. It was "two years then we'll see". Two years came - that was last year - and they wanted him for another year, but they had to figure out how to make an intentionally backloaded contract palatable. To be clear, years 3-4 on that deal were never meant to be played out as is. They were dummy years meant to inflate the overall value, but of course to the player it looks like a big pay cut.

Back