Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

Perhaps the real story of the season so far:

2022 games 1-5, GB averaged 135 rushing yards per game but ~19 pts scored per game

2023 games 1-5, GB averaging 60 rushing yards per game but ~22 pts scored per game

Can't bring this QB along without a running game, but there is something there with him and with the skill group. It's clunky and inconsistent and fell off a cliff Monday but Love has been able to produce.... something, something more than you'd expect without a running game.

My assumption is Howard is talking about AR and Favre having completion percentages of about 63% and Love has had accuracy issues and completing passes at closer to only 50%.

The point is things can take time and we just have to wait and see with Love. Hopefully, things improve.
I’d also need to see what the drop % was for those as well to get a good gauge of that.

I’d also need to see what the drop % was for those as well to get a good gauge of that.
Love's completion percentage right now is 55.6%, not 50. Without drops I think he's a shade under 60. Obviously the deep stuff is an issue but it was a big issue last year as well, to me speaks to a systemic issue with the WR personnel, coaching, route running etc. plus QB misses.

He had deep ball accuracy problems in college, he's gotta work on that part of his game 100%. That WR and TE group isn't doing him a ton of favors. Not a lot of MY BALL guys.

Or put it this way: would anyone say right now that the WR are making him look better than he actually is? Who is helping him in this offense?

Perhaps the real story of the season so far:

2022 games 1-5, GB averaged 135 rushing yards per game but ~19 pts scored per game

2023 games 1-5, GB averaging 60 rushing yards per game but ~22 pts scored per game

Can't bring this QB along without a running game, but there is something there with him and with the skill group. It's clunky and inconsistent and fell off a cliff Monday but Love has been able to produce.... something, something more than you'd expect without a running game.
Good points. If you look inside the stats, you'll find that they have used the short passes, and screens as a substitute for a lot of the carries we'd seen in the past. With the quick, short pass, the lack of blocking becomes less obvious. The ball is out of Love's hands before they can get to him.

I'm anxious to see how much of an effect there will be when Jones is available again. Might not be as dramatic as some people would like to believe.

Good points. If you look inside the stats, you'll find that they have used the short passes, and screens as a substitute for a lot of the carries we'd seen in the past. With the quick, short pass, the lack of blocking becomes less obvious. The ball is out of Love's hands before they can get to him.

I'm anxious to see how much of an effect there will be when Jones is available again. Might not be as dramatic as some people would like to believe.
Jones is probably gonna get hurt again.

There are so many little things that can make or break a play. In those two INTs I showed, Love to Watson, were an example of what can go wrong, and did. The passes were both potentially catch-able, with the right receivers being the target. Watson doesn't have that experience yet. Think of Jordy Nelson. The first pass would have never been an INT. Nelson would have turned him inside out to get at the ball, and if he couldn't catch it, rest assured the defender wouldn't. On the second one, Jordy would have seen it was going to be a jump ball, and dug in, holding his position, and went up for the ball. He would either have caught it, or the defender would have seen a flag fly for interference. Watson will learn, we hope. It's what makes a receiver a #1. If you ain't got that inside, and fall away from the catch point, you're never going to be a dependable #1.

Now, look at the passes themselves. We could say they were bad passes because they were intercepted. They were also passes that could have been caught. I won't fault Love for them. It was a lack of experience on both their parts, that made it an INT.

As for the results of the passing game, I won't throw Love under the bus for it either. He had very little time to make decisions on his passes. The line didn't do much in the way of blocking, to give him time to make the throws.

Dillon did not do a bad job running the ball. He was constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. When that's happening, your forward momentum is negated, and he made yardage because he was willing it happening. I think he did as well as almost anyone in the league could do under those same circumstances.

Don't let the fact that the Raiders only scored 17 points make you feel like the defense played that well. They continued to play soft against receivers, even when they had short yardage, and gave up a lot of short passes that substituted well for runs. Good teams will eat us alive if they play like that against them.
I'm not down on Love, I'm hopeful, and he's shown some things, am excited for his future, but both of those INT's were 100% on him. If I remember right, the first one was a LB dropping back in space that Love never saw, and threw it right to him, and the 2nd one at the end of the game is a throw he absolutely cannot make on 3rd down with time on the clock. On 4th down or with time expiring, I wouldn't mind it, but on 3rd down with time you have to put that where only your guy can get it. The comment on Nelson is probably true on the 2nd pass, but it would still be Nelson bailing out a poor throw, and my guess is Nelson doesn't do that in the first start of his 2nd year either.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be too hard on Love either, in his first year starting, with very inexperienced receivers, and an OL that is struggling. Dillon is struggling for the same reason.. OL can't run block, and it can't pass tprotect.. not a good combination. Dillon has mostly done what we should reasonably expect of him. He's a totally different runner than Jones, and we shouldn't expect Jones style runs from him. To some degree, his YPC is low because he gets the ball so often on 3rd and 4th and short, and goal line, with a loaded box.

100% agree on not thinking the defense has played well just because they held them to 17 points and 270 toalt yards or whatever the number ended up being. The could not stop the run when it mattered, and that pass coverage was absolutely brutal at times. The defensive front played pretty well though, was nice to see Clark getting after the QB pretty consistently.

Last edited:
image2-11-1536x1024.png

Back