Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

After cutting Justin Hollins to sign Patrick Taylor when team was short a RB for the Raiders game they reverse this move and cut Taylor and resign Hollins.

After cutting Justin Hollins to sign Patrick Taylor when team was short a RB for the Raiders game they reverse this move and cut Taylor and resign Hollins.
You can do that if the guys aren't really good enough to play anywhere else in the NFL. It does kind of tell you the real value the two of them have, doesn't it?

At least they don't have a listing in the Green Bay Press Gazette saying, "Looking for an RB and LB, to play once in a while on Sunday, no experience or ability necessary. Will consider OJT applicants."

You can do that if the guys aren't really good enough to play anywhere else in the NFL. It does kind of tell you the real value the two of them have, doesn't it?

At least they don't have a listing in the Green Bay Press Gazette saying, "Looking for an RB and LB, to play once in a while on Sunday, no experience or ability necessary. Will consider OJT applicants."
Maybe we should :unsure: might get some better guys LOL

There are so many little things that can make or break a play. In those two INTs I showed, Love to Watson, were an example of what can go wrong, and did. The passes were both potentially catch-able, with the right receivers being the target. Watson doesn't have that experience yet. Think of Jordy Nelson. The first pass would have never been an INT. Nelson would have turned him inside out to get at the ball, and if he couldn't catch it, rest assured the defender wouldn't. On the second one, Jordy would have seen it was going to be a jump ball, and dug in, holding his position, and went up for the ball. He would either have caught it, or the defender would have seen a flag fly for interference. Watson will learn, we hope. It's what makes a receiver a #1. If you ain't got that inside, and fall away from the catch point, you're never going to be a dependable #1.

Now, look at the passes themselves. We could say they were bad passes because they were intercepted. They were also passes that could have been caught. I won't fault Love for them. It was a lack of experience on both their parts, that made it an INT.

As for the results of the passing game, I won't throw Love under the bus for it either. He had very little time to make decisions on his passes. The line didn't do much in the way of blocking, to give him time to make the throws.

Dillon did not do a bad job running the ball. He was constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. When that's happening, your forward momentum is negated, and he made yardage because he was willing it happening. I think he did as well as almost anyone in the league could do under those same circumstances.

Don't let the fact that the Raiders only scored 17 points make you feel like the defense played that well. They continued to play soft against receivers, even when they had short yardage, and gave up a lot of short passes that substituted well for runs. Good teams will eat us alive if they play like that against them.

What did his first year as a full time starter look like? It was 2008 he made his debut as the full time starter.What was the record in 2008? Answer: 6-10Record through first 5 weeks in 2008?Answer: 2-3 (oddly same record as the Packers today)What’s my point?One of the greatest QB’s to play the game Aaron Rodgers who will be a 1st ballot HOF. Started his career with a 6-10 season. I remember being a kid and many Packer fans thinking he was a mistake. Shouldn’t have let Brett Favre go.Good things take time to develop. Jordan Love has all of the tools to be one of the best in the business. I believe he will be, but it just takes time…..

https://twitter.com/VinceBiegel/status/1711900508988817907/photo/1

Comparison is the thief of joy, as the old saying goes. I know why people bring up Rodgers first year - it’s proof that even a player who starts off sitting can start his career slowly and still become great. It’s proof of concept. CJ Stroud can come in as a rookie and look like an old pro - it’s proof of concept. Neither of them are Jordan Love. He will have his own process and development (or lack thereof) and I am here for it.

What actually stands out the most to me about the Rodgers comparison is not the QB, but the roster. A good 80% of the core of a Super Bowl roster was already there with him. 95% of a Super Bowl winning skill group (missing Starks) was playing with him that year. 3/5 of a SB o-line (Clifton, College, Wells), and he had Mark Tauscher at RT. Key missing pieces on D were added later (CMIII, Tramon, Raji) but they had Woodson, Jenkins, Pickett, Collins, Peprah.

It tells me two things: 1. That team was damn near loaded and Rodgers STILL took them to a losing record and STILL had stinkers of games. People who look back and say he was great from the start are delusional.

And 2. TT succeeded in putting together that roster because he didn’t do what Gute did, namely go all-in with picks and money on his aging QB. He stuck to his plan and even though it pissed off Favre, it allowed Rodgers to succeed. Gute did not, and in consequence thereof his hand picked QB is going to struggle.

Comparison is the thief of joy, as the old saying goes. I know why people bring up Rodgers first year - it’s proof that even a player who starts off sitting can start his career slowly and still become great. It’s proof of concept. CJ Stroud can come in as a rookie and look like an old pro - it’s proof of concept. Neither of them are Jordan Love. He will have his own process and development (or lack thereof) and I am here for it.

What actually stands out the most to me about the Rodgers comparison is not the QB, but the roster. A good 80% of the core of a Super Bowl roster was already there with him. 95% of a Super Bowl winning skill group (missing Starks) was playing with him that year. 3/5 of a SB o-line (Clifton, College, Wells), and he had Mark Tauscher at RT. Key missing pieces on D were added later (CMIII, Tramon, Raji) but they had Woodson, Jenkins, Pickett, Collins, Peprah.

It tells me two things: 1. That team was damn near loaded and Rodgers STILL took them to a losing record and STILL had stinkers of games. People who look back and say he was great from the start are delusional.

And 2. TT succeeded in putting together that roster because he didn’t do what Gute did, namely go all-in with picks and money on his aging QB. He stuck to his plan and even though it pissed off Favre, it allowed Rodgers to succeed. Gute did not, and in consequence thereof his hand picked QB is going to struggle.
I agree with this 100%; the roster at when AR started was performing at a much higher level than our current roster. That said . . . . and I really like Love, but AR was already more polished in that first full time starting season compared to Love.

I agree with this 100%; the roster at when AR started was performing at a much higher level than our current roster. That said . . . . and I really like Love, but AR was already more polished in that first full time starting season compared to Love.
Do what? I had seats to that first year of AR at Lambeau, he had a couple games he looked worse than Love has!!! He was putrid.

Do what? I had seats to that first year of AR at Lambeau, he had a couple games he looked worse than Love has!!! He was putrid.

My assumption is Howard is talking about AR and Favre having completion percentages of about 63% and Love has had accuracy issues and completing passes at closer to only 50%.

The point is things can take time and we just have to wait and see with Love. Hopefully, things improve.

My assumption is Howard is talking about AR and Favre having completion percentages of about 63% and Love has had accuracy issues and completing passes at closer to only 50%.

The point is things can take time and we just have to wait and see with Love. Hopefully, things improve.
Again, I'm not down on Love, he's had his ups and downs, and early on I really liked his composure. And if he has similar success as the previous 2 QB's had, that would be awesome . . .

Back