Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

I heard this very thing under Capers...then Mike Pettine... then they hired Berry bh)
yeah, but if you want to break out of that quagmire, why on earth would you hire a dc who has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is not capable of being a dc? and then make it worse by not recognizing your mistake and replacing him?

So if Bak is done for rest of season and GB moves on after season I think they will have gotten 11 1/2 games out of him in 3 years. This has to be one of the worst return on investment contracts ever in the NFL.

It is what it is with these front loaded contracts. The problem is, even when you strike a long term deal with a player, and you think you have a lock, he can come along and demand a rework of his contract because he wants more, even if it's to feed his ego.

A prime example of the problem is the deal KC has with Mahomes. It's long term, but to make sure he's constantly happy, they'll be reworking his contract regularly so he can say that his is bigger than yours.

As long as he's healthy it's a good deal, but eventually even that one in KC is going to become a nightmare, if they don't maintain control now. GB made the mistake of throwing wheelbarrows full of cash to Rodgers out front, instead of tempering the cap hit on a year by year basis.

I might be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that over half the coaches and GMs fired are because they extended these front loaded contracts and they can't get enough quality players under contract, because there's no money available.

Here's a question for the group: we're at about the quarter mark of the season - how close are you to feeling comfortable with GB tearing up Love's transition deal and signing him long term? There already? Not even close? Want to see a little more?

Here's a question for the group: we're at about the quarter mark of the season - how close are you to feeling comfortable with GB tearing up Love's transition deal and signing him long term? There already? Not even close? Want to see a little more?
If it's cost effective.... I would do a 3 year deal with an option year. We can work with his talent it's the pieces around him that need help IMHO.

yeah, but if you want to break out of that quagmire, why on earth would you hire a dc who has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is not capable of being a dc? and then make it worse by not recognizing your mistake and replacing him?
I've answered that I don't how many times, he wasn't ML first choice. Good old boy Jimmy L heed and hawed and backed out late..all the good DC were gone (don't give me some BS about the RAMS guy he's 0-4 and sucking). Thus ML went with the guy he knew. Very common in coaching.

As for why no change last off-season he also answered that ML stated he thought about it but then if they made a major change at QB didn't want that and a new defensive scheme too ( meaning they knew AR wasn't coming back)

I am sorry but the latter makes a ton of sense to me.

I think those that said Leonhard loved the Madison Lifestyle are correct. I think he finds another college program. I don't think he wants to put up with pro player bullshit.

But what does changing out an ineffective defensive coordinator have to do with putting your stud quarterback horse out to pasture?

It might have been easier not to change both, but in the "Not For Long" league, you can't keep playing the same crappy D.

Coach LaFleur seems like a decent carring guy. Hope he pulls out of this

Lots of work to do prior to next season. Especially if they decide to change the defense. Figuring out which players fit the schemes, which don't, planning on the draft to fill those needs, and at the same time, retool the offensive line, and find a solid RB, who can be the new #1 after the 2024 campaign, because that's going to be the last season we have Jones in the backfield.

Let's hope they don't try to put mascara on the pig, because a pig is still a pig.

Back