Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

The way our offensive line has been playing, having a stable of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders would net you about 2.5-3.0 yards per carry. They just don't block well for the run, due to the injury bug. If our O-line was healthy, across the board, I think Jones and Dillon would be a solid pair of RBs.

I've never felt it's the RB's job to break tackles as soon as he touches the ball, just to get back to the LOS. I always kinda figured the linemen would do at least a little bit to help them at least have a chance to get positive yardage.

The franchise tag on a RB in 2023 is a little over $10 mill. That's nearly as much as the amount being suggested by fans for a Taylor contract. If it goes up, it will be somewhere near $11 mill for 2024. Irsay wouldn't pump the brakes on that one. He'd just put the tag on Taylor and that would be that. Unless he found a trade partner, who would negotiate in advance, and Irsay could pull the tag and not pay a nickel, and make some kind of swap.

The way our offensive line has been playing, having a stable of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders would net you about 2.5-3.0 yards per carry. They just don't block well for the run, due to the injury bug. If our O-line was healthy, across the board, I think Jones and Dillon would be a solid pair of RBs.

I've never felt it's the RB's job to break tackles as soon as he touches the ball, just to get back to the LOS. I always kinda figured the linemen would do at least a little bit to help them at least have a chance to get positive yardage.

The franchise tag on a RB in 2023 is a little over $10 mill. That's nearly as much as the amount being suggested by fans for a Taylor contract. If it goes up, it will be somewhere near $11 mill for 2024. Irsay wouldn't pump the brakes on that one. He'd just put the tag on Taylor and that would be that. Unless he found a trade partner, who would negotiate in advance, and Irsay could pull the tag and not pay a nickel, and make some kind of swap.
Back in the day it used to be that the RB made the line look better than it was, has it flipped around in todays game? Honest question.

Back in the day it used to be that the RB made the line look better than it was, has it flipped around in todays game? Honest question.
Back in the day, the OL didn't the credit they deserved. There have been a handful of RB's league history that routinely made their line look better than they were, and that handful doesn't include Emmit Smith, as good as he was because that line he ran behind in Dallas as at a minimum a top 5 OL in the history of football, and probably #1. Here is the list of guys who in their prime I believe consistently made their line look better than it was. 1 - Barry Sanders, 2 - Walter Payton, 3 - Earl Campbell, 4 - Derrick Henry, 5 - Adrian Peterson. There are probably more that I'm missing just coming up with this list off the top of my head, and Jim Brown may well be one of them, he's just a couple years before my time and I haven't watched enough film on him to know how good his OL was. I'm not saying those guys didn't ever play behind good OL, Peterson played behind several pretty good OLs for example, and Payton later in his career did, but they could be productive without an elite OL IMO.

When the Packers placed left tackle David Bakhtiari on injured reserve last week, head coach Matt LaFleur said he would leave it to Bakhtiari to address his long-term ability to keep playing. But LaFleur has now acknowledged that it’s a concern he has.
Asked by Rich Eisen whether he thinks he’ll get Bakhtiari back and his level of concern, LaFleur said the level of concern is high because of how long Bakhtiari has been plagued by knee issues.
“I’m very concerned because this is year three of this now,” LaFleur said. “Obviously, very concerned. When he played against Chicago Week One, he was playing at an elite level with not a lot of practice. That just speaks to the kind of player that he is. He knows how to get his body and mind prepared mentally to go out there and compete at a high level. Any time you don’t have a Pro Bowler like him in the lineup, it is a concern.”
Bakhtiari tore his ACL on December 31, 2020, and knee problems have lingered for him ever since. He missed the rest of the 2020 season, played in just one game in the 2021 season, played 11 games in 2022 and has now played just once in 2023. He’s now on injured reserve, and there’s been no indication of when — or if — he’ll play again.

As much as I may gripe during the games, this year actually is kind of exciting in a weird way fro me. I don't have any win or loss expectations and it's been making each week that much more interesting. It's like they could be in every game or not, you just don't know and it makes it worthwhile watching. Years past there would be expectations of this game or that game being a win and talk of playoffs and playoff implications but this year I've let any of those expectations go and it's bee a lot more enjoyable to watch the games.

How has everyone else's experience been so far?

As much as I may gripe during the games, this year actually is kind of exciting in a weird way fro me. I don't have any win or loss expectations and it's been making each week that much more interesting. It's like they could be in every game or not, you just don't know and it makes it worthwhile watching. Years past there would be expectations of this game or that game being a win and talk of playoffs and playoff implications but this year I've let any of those expectations go and it's bee a lot more enjoyable to watch the games.

Same. Excited for what lies ahead. But super frustrated that issues popping up are ones many of us saw coming years ago but the FO never dealt with.

Very similar, I am going into all this without trumped-up expectations. It's kind of like a new beginning and it's been fun.

i have to admit that it has been less enjoyable for me. if i see them get more than two scores behind, i get frustrated and just turn it off. maybe it's partly because i live in 49ers country and they seem to win all the time, kind of like we used to, but with a far more complete team than we've had in many years. i'm still a packers fan first and foremost, and i don't watch 49ers games, but i am exposed to all the highlights on local news.

i have to admit that it has been less enjoyable for me. if i see them get more than two scores behind, i get frustrated and just turn it off. maybe it's partly because i live in 49ers country and they seem to win all the time, kind of like we used to, but with a far more complete team than we've had in many years. i'm still a packers fan first and foremost, and i don't watch 49ers games, but i am exposed to all the highlights on local news.
Understandable. I literally went into this season with no expectations as far as wins and losses. I just wanted to see how this team would look while being so young and it's been refreshing. Lots of ups and downs but that hasn't detracted from the excitement post-Rodgers, for me.

Back