Packers 2022 Thread

To put it bluntly, based on what everyone is saying, it's going to be gutting the team core and keeping youth, whether or not Rodgers stays. Not a lot to be optimistic about, even with a couple of darned good young receivers.
Depends what you consider the core. Personally I see the core being relatively young …Alexander, Gary, Clark and jury is out on Stokes. Still trying to figure out why they restructured Lowery. On offense is a bit different, Watson is core at this point and Doubs, probably Jenkins, Love is not leaving

I tend to look at the dead weight but even that’s a financial liability. Your stuck with Savage, Amos is expendable, Smith only saves you about $3.5m. Lazard is a UFA so let him test the market, Cobb is also expendable, Jenkins is probably extended.

Fun times

To put it bluntly, based on what everyone is saying, it's going to be gutting the team core and keeping youth, whether or not Rodgers stays. Not a lot to be optimistic about, even with a couple of darned good young receivers.
I can't say I agree with this completely, I don't think they will contend for a SB next year but they certainly have some building blocks in place where if things fall right I can see them in contention again in 2-3 seasons. There are positions they can shore up in the draft and positions where they need to keep adding talent and then develop those guys/tread water until their cap clears in a couple seasons, at which point they can dip into FA again. So much depends on Love. I'm heartened by what we saw against Philly, my two biggest question marks for him were confidence in the system and decision making, and we've seen improvements in both areas.

Other big Q of course is getting the D straightened out. No one on earth believes that Joe Barry is the guy to get it done, so it starts there.

I can't disagree with anyone on the issue. So, here's a way to start figuring it out. Do a positional layout, to determine who stays, and then you can see the holes you need to fill. Use the format shown, so you can get the whole picture in mind.

OFFENSIVE STARTERS
QB
RB
WR
WR
TE
WR/TE/RB
LT
LG
C
RG
RT

Subs:
QB
RB
WR
TE
LT
LG
C
RG
RT

DEFENSIVE STARTERS
DT
NT
DT
OLB
ILB
ILB
OLB
CB
CB
SS
FS

Subs:
DT
NT
DT
OLB
ILB
ILB
OLB
CB
CB
SS
FS

SPECIAL TEAMS
P
K
LS

Don't change the format, just fill in the blanks. The objective is to end up being able to realize exactly who you feel can honestly be bought back, and the holes we're going to need to see them fill. If you feel we will have no starter for a specific position, leave that blank, so we can assume you feel this is a need through FA or draft.

I can't say I agree with this completely, I don't think they will contend for a SB next year but they certainly have some building blocks in place where if things fall right I can see them in contention again in 2-3 seasons. There are positions they can shore up in the draft and positions where they need to keep adding talent and then develop those guys/tread water until their cap clears in a couple seasons, at which point they can dip into FA again. So much depends on Love. I'm heartened by what we saw against Philly, my two biggest question marks for him were confidence in the system and decision making, and we've seen improvements in both areas.

Other big Q of course is getting the D straightened out. No one on earth believes that Joe Barry is the guy to get it done, so it starts there.
I’d say more 3-4 years until they’re a legit contender. 2 drafts to restock the cupboard and then a few years to put it all together.

I’d say more 3-4 years until they’re a legit contender. 2 drafts to restock the cupboard and then a few years to put it all together.
Depends on the QB. If they have to reset that position it’s probably 3 or more. If Love pans out 2-3 is reasonable. Small margin of error

This whole off-season and the decisions around it are basically all in the hands of Rodgers. The front office basically gave him almost all the power this off-season. If he comes back the team won't have much choice other than to pretty much try to run it back again - which, to me, includes Bak. A couple of cuts and some tweaks around the edges like a new kicker and maybe a new WR in FA. Probably a couple of contract restructures that invoke some more CAP magic (tricks?) for another year.

If AR is not back, then I sure as hell hope they have the guts to rip off the band-aid and start the re-build/re-model around their new QB. They should get rid of - Bak, Cobb, Lowrey, Crosby, Amos, PSmith, others? Maybe you can even find a trade partner or two who'll give you some Day 3 picks for a couple of them. Just let guys like Reed. Tonyan, Lewis, Lazard, Watkins, and maybe a few more walk away. Get a deal done with Jenkins and restructure Aaron Jones. Maybe you have enough CAP room to add a guy to the DL and a veteran TE. That takes you out of your current CAP mess and lets you really move forward in 2024 with some decent CAP space to fill in your roster.

This whole off-season and the decisions around it are basically all in the hands of Rodgers. The front office basically gave him almost all the power this off-season. If he comes back the team won't have much choice other than to pretty much try to run it back again - which, to me, includes Bak. A couple of cuts and some tweaks around the edges like a new kicker and maybe a new WR in FA. Probably a couple of contract restructures that invoke some more CAP magic (tricks?) for another year.

If AR is not back, then I sure as hell hope they have the guts to rip off the band-aid and start the re-build/re-model around their new QB. They should get rid of - Bak, Cobb, Lowrey, Crosby, Amos, PSmith, others? Maybe you can even find a trade partner or two who'll give you some Day 3 picks for a couple of them. Just let guys like Reed. Tonyan, Lewis, Lazard, Watkins, and maybe a few more walk away. Get a deal done with Jenkins and restructure Aaron Jones. Maybe you have enough CAP room to add a guy to the DL and a veteran TE. That takes you out of your current CAP mess and lets you really move forward in 2024 with some decent CAP space to fill in your roster.
I think Crosby is going to retire end of season. He's what 38 years old his leg is not what it used to be. I think only chance Cobb is to be back is if #12 comes back and plays his GM hat and says to resign him.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap
@KenIngalls
·
17h

Imagine being a Head Coach of a professional football team and allowing hand signals & checks that are not a part of your playbook. Then imagine allowing meetings where vets spotlight quiz young players on these signals. Then imagine not knowing what any of these signals mean.

Back