Official Packers Off Season Thread

I'm not totally comfortable with our depth either. Gunter is an unknown. Slow at the combine and maybe only useful in a more limited role - like Hyde. Goodson still hasn't shown anything and you could argue that Gunter passed him up last season. I'm looking for one in the draft. Not in the first 2 days, but I wouldn't mind one in Rds 4-5.

I'm not totally comfortable with our depth either. Gunter is an unknown. Slow at the combine and maybe only useful in a more limited role - like Hyde. Goodson still hasn't shown anything and you could argue that Gunter passed him up last season. I'm looking for one in the draft. Not in the first 2 days, but I wouldn't mind one in Rds 4-5.

IMO we have more concerns on this roster to spend a draft pick on another CB. Maybe sign a couple as UDFA's but otherwise I am looking at filling other holes in the draft.

With 9 picks, using one on depth/competition at CB is surely realistic. We'll have 4 picks in rounds 4-5.

Re-signing Hayward for depth would be fine by me, but I can't imagine why he would want to return. He'll likely get more money AND a way better chance at a bigger role elsewhere. WalterFootball ranks him 5th best UFA corner.

The WR fiasco last season has led to a fear of lack of proven depth at every position. Unfortunately having proven depth everywhere just won't happen. CB is a premium position, very rare to find a quality guy on the cheap.

Sure, we have other holes, but we have 9 draft picks - plenty to fill holes. With that number you can fill TE, ILB, OLB, DT, WR, OT and still have picks left over. I use those picks on a CB, RB and OG. What hole has not been addressed in that mix of players? A 5th on a decent CB is a good investment in a throwing league. Without Hayward you are one injury away from Gunter and Goodson both playing regular snaps. I wouldn't mind a little insurance. Not saying it's a necessity, but personally I like drafting a DB in every draft. It's how you stay ahead of the game. (TT seems to agrees - he has taken a CB or S in every draft. Not saying that necessarily makes it right, it just seems like a good strategy.)

Sure, we have other holes, but we have 9 draft picks - plenty to fill holes. With that number you can fill TE, ILB, OLB, DT, WR, OT and still have picks left over. I use those picks on a CB, RB and OG. What hole has not been addressed in that mix of players? A 5th on a decent CB is a good investment in a throwing league. Without Hayward you are one injury away from Gunter and Goodson both playing regular snaps. I wouldn't mind a little insurance. Not saying it's a necessity, but personally I like drafting a DB in every draft. It's how you stay ahead of the game. (TT seems to agrees - he has taken a CB or S in every draft. Not saying that necessarily makes it right, it just seems like a good strategy.)

I am thinking you need to Pick 2-3 guys at LB, 1-2 OL, 1 TE, 1-2 DL, 1 RB. So you have 6-9 picks there. If the Packers have a extra pick I can see maybe picking a safety to look to upgrade the backup safety spot because Hyde is a FA and Banjo is JAG and Richardson is done. Also Burnett is not getting up there so yeah a guy to make replace him in a couple years could be looked at.

I am thinking you need to Pick 2-3 guys at LB, 1-2 OL, 1 TE, 1-2 DL, 1 RB. So you have 6-9 picks there. If the Packers have a extra pick I can see maybe picking a safety to look to upgrade the backup safety spot because Hyde is a FA and Banjo is JAG and Richardson is done. Also Burnett is not getting up there so yeah a guy to make replace him in a couple years could be looked at.

I guess we just disagree a bit on how to use a few picks. I could maybe stretch the ILB position to 2 picks, but 3 is unworkable IMO if you plan to keep them all. You can't just fill a position with rookies to go with a 2nd year guy (Ryan) and hope that works out. I only have us taking 1 because we just took Ryan and I'd prefer to pick one up in FA rather than just draft numbers. Get me one quality ILB in this draft, and add one in FA. See how things work out and take another quality ILB if you have to next year.

I'm all for 2xOL. Can understand taking 2xDL in a deep draft if things fall right, but with Guion signed and Ringo likely to get a shot, I'm again thinking I'd rather just have one quality guy. If it's about adding extra ILBs and DL in Rds 6-7 to throw on the PS, then heck TT shouldn't have much trouble getting a handful of each. ;)

And yes, if push comes to shove I'd be fine with a S rather than a CB as long as he can cover. You can use him like you use Hyde to cover slot guys at times. You are correct that Richardson is gone and Banjo is JAG, but does play pretty good on STs. If a new guy is good enough to take over Burnett's spot, so be it, but there is no reason other than performance to look in Burnett's direction. He's only 27 years old and nowhere near ready to dump due to age. Barring injury, he can play safety for another 4-5 years, physically.

I guess we just disagree a bit on how to use a few picks. I could maybe stretch the ILB position to 2 picks, but 3 is unworkable IMO if you plan to keep them all. You can't just fill a position with rookies to go with a 2nd year guy (Ryan) and hope that works out. I only have us taking 1 because we just took Ryan and I'd prefer to pick one up in FA rather than just draft numbers. Get me one quality ILB in this draft, and add one in FA. See how things work out and take another quality ILB if you have to next year.

I'm all for 2xOL. Can understand taking 2xDL in a deep draft if things fall right, but with Guion signed and Ringo likely to get a shot, I'm again thinking I'd rather just have one quality guy. If it's about adding extra ILBs and DL in Rds 6-7 to throw on the PS, then heck TT shouldn't have much trouble getting a handful of each. ;)

And yes, if push comes to shove I'd be fine with a S rather than a CB as long as he can cover. You can use him like you use Hyde to cover slot guys at times. You are correct that Richardson is gone and Banjo is JAG, but does play pretty good on STs. If a new guy is good enough to take over Burnett's spot, so be it, but there is no reason other than performance to look in Burnett's direction. He's only 27 years old and nowhere near ready to dump due to age. Barring injury, he can play safety for another 4-5 years, physically.

Not saying 3 picks at ILB saying 2-3 picks be spent at ILB and OLB as you need help at both spots.

Not saying 3 picks at ILB saying 2-3 picks be spent at ILB and OLB as you need help at both spots.

So we essentially agree completely. I had us taking 1xILB, 1xOLB, 1xOL, DT, TE, WR so we are covering all the same bases. OG in Rd 5 along with a CB and RB to round out the late picks.

Casey Heyward Signs with San Diego (3 year, $15.3M)
Perfect - love to see him out of the conference. Hope he did well for himself financially.

Definitely think we'll add a corner somewhere in the mid-to-late rounds, but I feel good about our young group. Just could use some insurance given how banged up Randall was most of the year.

Back