Mistrust in Jeff Janis remains the biggest mystery of the season

Honestly thought Janis was a cut candidate next year, but the way he showed up in this game how can he not get another chance? Players have to earn their roster spot in Thenoffseason and TC, but give him a little more of an inside track now.

Side note: imagine what Ron Rivera would do with him in CAR...

Here is the thing with Janis. Does he have speed yes. But 95% of CB in the league can match that speed. But last night you saw the good and bad of Janis. The good? He caught the ball with his hands not his body like he has all year. And he made plaus. The bad? He still is a poor route runner. Example when he appeared open in the end zone. He flattened out the route and Rodgers threw it to a spot he anticipated Janis to be. Can Janis play in this league. Maybe. But if he does it will take more than speed to stick

Here is the thing with Janis. Does he have speed yes. But 95% of CB in the league can match that speed. But last night you saw the good and bad of Janis. The good? He caught the ball with his hands not his body like he has all year. And he made plaus. The bad? He still is a poor route runner. Example when he appeared open in the end zone. He flattened out the route and Rodgers threw it to a spot he anticipated Janis to be. Can Janis play in this league. Maybe. But if he does it will take more than speed to stick

first of all - no 95% of the cornerbacks in the nfl do not have 4.36 40 speed. you're exaggerating by a lot.

secondly, the history of the nfl is full of guys who were maybe not the most tecnically proficient, but through determination and will were able to make plays. favre had a horrible throwing motion according to many armchair experts. he did okay. a poor route runner? so what. the guy makes plays.

if you look at the percentage of plays that janis has been part of that turned out to be "plus" plays, it's clear that he is a playmaker kind of guy. does he also make some bonehead plays? well, yes. guys who are always trying to make plays do also tend to make some mistakes. but the good outweighs the bad.

here's the thing with janis: when it was clear that they were not going to give him a shot at receiver, he didn't fade into the background. instead, he did everything he could to be one of the best gunners around on special teams. playing time has to be earned? apparently, in some cases it can't be earned.

As a Pats fan I would love to see what Belichik and Brady could do with him ...

If after two years he still can't earn playing time do the guy a favor and move him. Give him a chance to go to another team who would be willing to work to his strengths. That square peg in a round hole observation was dead on.​

Janis has been getting better as the year progressed. He is learning to catch the ball with his hands, he had to learn to do that. I'm excited about his potential too, but it was ONE game. There Is a lot of 'Flynnitis' happening here. He is an excellent gunner and he is fast. Not necessarily quick. He looked open in the corner of the endzone because he didn't run the route right and you blame Arod?!? C'mon. He's a work in progress and if we draft another WR he is likely the odd man out. His special teams contributions are his biggest asset right now. I like him too, he's a hard worker and is fighting against the odds, but one game doesn't make a career. Just saying......

I'm not quite old enough to remember Don Beebe's playing days (though ive been to his speed camp) but how was he compared to Janis? I'm sure Don was an overall better receiver, but if I could get a comparison, that'd be appreciated.

If I was Jeff, what I would do would be to have Mrs. Nelson call Mrs. Janis and ask if I can spend the summer in the farm in Kansas hanging out with my bud Jordy, help him recover, run routes with him.

One thing we had a coach do one time was have the younger WRs take turns playing DB against our better route runners, just so that they could see what it was supposed to be like.

I'm not quite old enough to remember Don Beebe's playing days (though ive been to his speed camp) but how was he compared to Janis? I'm sure Don was an overall better receiver, but if I could get a comparison, that'd be appreciated.

If I was Jeff, what I would do would be to have Mrs. Nelson call Mrs. Janis and ask if I can spend the summer in the farm in Kansas hanging out with my bud Jordy, help him recover, run routes with him.

One thing we had a coach do one time was have the younger WRs take turns playing DB against our better route runners, just so that they could see what it was supposed to be like.

GB would actually have to have a WR coach first off.... ;)

I' totally with you on that first suggestion though. See if you can stick with Jordy for an offseason and learn from him. He'll be taking it slow for a bit so he won't be too fast for Janis for awhile..

I've never seen this much agnst about a guy who caught 2 passes in the regular season for 79 yards. Really amazing. Its one game. At this point he is at best the number 5 WR on the roster. If what you want isxa speed WR who runs poor routes the NCAA has it's share. Its not like they are rare. Janis is a great special teams guy. As a WR please prove it over 16 games.

I've never seen this much agnst about a guy who caught 2 passes in the regular season for 79 yards. Really amazing. Its one game. At this point he is at best the number 5 WR on the roster. If what you want isxa speed WR who runs poor routes the NCAA has it's share. Its not like they are rare. Janis is a great special teams guy. As a WR please prove it over 16 games.

To play devils advocate hide)they'd actually have to give him more opportunity to show what he has over 16 games. Not just throw him 2 balls over 16 games (ok, I htink it wa actually like 10) and say they have an accurate assessment of what he can do.

They gave Adams that chance, and he didn't do very much with it. Adams never had a game that came even close to what Janis did in the playoff game. Abbey never came close to those numbers either. So why did they get a disproportionate number of chances vs Janis? Because of practice? If practice doesn't translate to game day then it's worthless.

Everyone wanted Janis to prove it over the season, yet they didn't give him as many chances. I'd have an easier time accepting that argument if you have him the same number of targets as Abbey and Adams for example and then compared them.

If Adams or Abbey had gone off for 7 catches 149 yards and 2 TD's, one to force OT the packers and many fans would be crowing about they were the future, and how it was a breakout game.

can't prove anything at all if you are never given the chance. which was pretty much the point of this entire thread. how did you miss that?

Back