Mistrust in Jeff Janis remains the biggest mystery of the season

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Mistrust in Jeff Janis remains the biggest mystery of the season

Headline isn't what I would use. Don't think it's the biggest mystery of the season at all. but:

In head-scratching fashion, the Packers lived with the mistakes made by rookie cornerback Damarious Randall, who was caught out of position and allowed big gains on many occasions throughout the season. And they did it because he also displayed big-play ability that manifested itself once again Saturday night, making a critical interception in the end zone.

And that's another puzzling part of the mistrust in Janis. Other receivers seemed to make as many mistakes and dropped passes, and yet they seemed to get the benefit of the doubt, rarely seeing any change in playing time.

Janis isn't going to be the savior of GB, but might have been able to contribute more. RR and Adams ran bad routes, dropped balls, etc.. yet got major playing time and weren't held accountable.

Really besides that one huge catch I think Abby might have outplayed Janis last night. Abby seemed to get that first down when the team needed it.

They all have a place in that offense but none of them is a savior. Jordy coming back opens up a ton of stuff for the offense next year. Once the top is off the D... changes everything. tc(

Really besides that one huge catch I think Abby might have outplayed Janis last night. Abby seemed to get that first down when the team needed it.

I don't. Abbey only 4 catches on 12 targets. And got a first down.. Janis 5 catches on 7 with 2 TD's and was a bad Arod throw away from 3..

This may have been Janis' flash in the pan. But he flat out played every other receiver. Nobody even came close to fighting for the ball like Janis did.

This is what I posted in the post game thread, and for me it's the reality.

"And last night is what MM will have to think long and hard about. We saw both sides of Janis last night. You ask him to run routes and timing routes and he will fail. Send him downfield to fight for jump balls and big plays and he will fight like hell to get that ball. If MM insist on him becoming a precise route runner he will fail and does not belong in MM's offense. He allows Janis to do what he does best and he might succeed and contribute. It's up to MM to decide whether he wants to change to play to Janis' strengths. Otherwise trade him."

try three huge catches dude. your memory fails you.

i agree with the title of the topic. i saw big glaring costly mistakes being made by every rookie and second year player on this team, but they all were given plenty of opportunities despite the mistakes. all except janis.

what i find so puzzling about that is everyone - including my four year old nephew - could see that the packers biggest problem with jordy out was that we had no receivers who could stretch the field. people wrote articles in major publications about how slow our receivers are. so you are the head coac. you know you have a major problem. you know that your general manager isn't going to go out and find you a new guy to fill the void. you know that you are going to have to use the tools that you have available to you. why then are you so thick-headed and stubborn that you refuse to even try to use the one and only speedy receiver on your roster to at least make the defenses play honest and not crowd the line? why do you pretend that he is not worthy of even getting a shot at what he does best for an entire season, and then only when you are down to your last two or three healthy receivers throw him into a playoff game with no real playing time at all during the season?

and yet - as he has shown several times - when he is given an opportunity to contribute, he grabs it with gusto and makes the most of it. three prime-time plays that give the packers an opportunity to go into overtime and win the game. a guy who was virtually ignored by his head coach and spurned by his quarterback all season long comes in and makes the plays that at least give his team a fighting chance.

the answer was right there in front of your face all season long, meathead mccarthy. you just didn't have the balls to give him a shot.

Appreciate the honesty RB...

MM is a system guy always remember that. Nothing is more important than the system. No matter what is in front of you trust the system.... That is why Janis never got many chances in a game... Janis isn't a good route runner, and MM's system is all about route trees.

In a more general NFL sense, no you do not need to have all route trees mastered to contribute to an offense. However, in MM's system yes you do. It doesn't matter that Adams and RR run bad lazy routes, the fact they know the routes and can run them in practice against scout team is what is important. Despite how lazy they were, they were still the (for the most part) correct routes.

Janis had a great game.. A fantastic game. He fought like hell for every ball he caught. But that was with MM and Arod with their backs against the wall. The last resort. Once you are no longer in that position the system takes precedent again. And the system says you need to run routes in practice.

I don't agree with it. But it's the reality. That's why I think they should trade Janis while he had a hot game.. Guarantee a team would trade for him. That's why TT has protected him on 53 instead of stashing him on PS.. A team like NE would use him. I think even CHI would.. He will never be a good route runner. That's not who he is. And trying to make him fit into an offense that relies on that I don't think is fair to him. Especially when you don't provide a dedicated WR coach to help. That's where I agree with meathead McCarthy.. combining those coaches was dumb...

when the system is not working, or when circumstances take away necessary components of the system, a good coach will adjust the system. a bad coach will stubbornly keep trying to put square pegs into round holes.

when the system is not working, or when circumstances take away necessary components of the system, a good coach will adjust the system. a bad coach will stubbornly keep trying to put square pegs into round holes.

I don't disagree entirely, but that's an argument for the post season MM thread :D

Back