James Starks re-signs

I beg to differ this class is fairly deep and much better than next season overall. RB is the 2nd best position group this year IMHO.
Top end next year is deeper with Fouranette, Cook and Chubb

It seems like an OK signing. Partly depends on the bonus money.

There is nothing stopping us from drafting a RB in what seems like a year with pretty good depth at the position. Starks signing does absolutely nothing from my point of view to prevent a young back from being drafted if the opportunity presents itself in the draft. For me it beats the heck out of going into the draft knowing you have to have one and having to reach and miss out on a better player at another position, or staying true to the board and filling the back-up spot with another UDFA.

Might mean Crockett gets cut or maybe they PS him again. Unfortunate, but that's the name of the game, get better at as many positions as possible and keep the best. There is also a chance that Kuhn is not back and they only keep one FB - Rip. In that case maybe they keep 4xRB on the roster.

I'm not super excited about bringing Starks back. He's an alright player but I was hoping they would go with a true change of pace from Lacy at the 2 with a little shifty guy who is a good pass catcher. But maybe the plan is to use Cobb and Montgomery in that role; in that case I guess Starks makes sense.

OK signing, don't have a problem with this. He might not be GREAT, but I think he's proven he's a serviceable backup. We can still draft a RB also, if one that's highly thought of by the coaching staff/personel staff, happens to fall to us. I don't think this signing completely rules out drafting a RB at all.

I'm happy with this. I know it isn't flashy, but it isn't disappointing either. I haven't given up on Lacy, and expect this to be what many of you are saying... Our change of pace back. Forte was a fun thought, but I wanted to see us go outside our own in the realm of TE and ILB... It probably won't happen, but regardless we could be worse off at RB. I thought NE might really try.

I would have replaced Starks and Lane Taylor in the draft and spent that five million dollars for a FA at a position of need.

Back