James Starks re-signs

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not a bad signing. He's a decent backup RB who is cheap. Even though he is 30 he does not have a lot of miles on him. Also a short term deal so you can still either look to Crocket to be his replacement or look to draft one this year or next year.

2 year deal worth $6 million. Have not see guarantee portion of that yet.

Poor signing. Starks is maybe average at best then add in the fumbles. Should have let him walk and pick a rb up in the draft.

Poor signing. Starks is maybe average at best then add in the fumbles. Should have let him walk and pick a rb up in the draft.

Kind if weak draft for RB this year. I think Packintal said next year should be a deeper class and maybe they have hope that Crockett can step it up. If low guarantee this could turn out just to be a 1 year deal.

he had his most productive season in 2015, gaining just under 1,000 yards from scrimmage during the regular season. but in the four games where he started, he only played well in one of them. his role is clearly that of a "change of pace" back. he can't carry the load. i get why they re-signed him, but i agree that it's a meh signing.

#Packers RB James Starks' deal is worth $6 over two years. He'll get $3M this year, but his cap number will be less than that, source said.

I like this a lot better than Forte. I love when old FAs say, "I want to play for a contender", and then inevitably go for the money. ($9M guaranteed.)

Both Forte and Starks had 4.1yds. per carry last year. Both are 30. Starks has about 700 career touches to Forte's 2,700! Starks knows the Packer offense. Starks fumbled too much last year, which is the concerning issue of keeping Starks. (Hopefully a fluke year.) Until the fumbling bug, Starks was one of few players to show up on offense last year. (QB with mediocre year, a fat starting RB, slow as molasses WRs and TEs lumbering down the field, oft-injured OLmen with turnstile backups...)

But the main thing is, do you want to pay a starting RB salary to a backup? The RB issue isn't Starks vs. Forte. It's whether Lacy can come back in shape. It's whether Jordy and Ty can come back healthy so the offense isn't one dimensional again. Starks is a back-up "fluid" yin to Lacy's starting "ramming" yang. Just fix the fumbling, James!

This is an okay value and smart resigning of Starks in my opinion.

Last edited:
Kind if weak draft for RB this year. I think Packintal said next year should be a deeper class and maybe they have hope that Crockett can step it up. If low guarantee this could turn out just to be a 1 year deal.

I beg to differ this class is fairly deep and much better than next season overall. RB is the 2nd best position group this year IMHO.

Thing I will be interested in is how much signing bonus they gave him if it's a couple million bucks might mean they plan to keep him both years as $1 million in dead money would be a lot. Hopefully the 3 million he's getting this year is mostly base salary and roster bonus money so a low SB would allow them to dump him after this year if they want too.

Back