If someone told you before the draft that we'd do what we did...

Don't know why so many are pissed at this pick. I am more pissed spending a 3rd on a WR who's primary use will be as a ST player. Could have taken a player that would have helped on defense instead of a ST player.

It sounds to me like we didn't trade up to get a player, but when the opportunity to move up for a very low cost presented itself, we made the trade and Hundley was at the top of the board at that time. TT probably figured that Hundley wouldn't last 20 more picks so his decision was whether Hundley was valuable enough to give up pick #247 knowing that we would still have 3 6th-round picks.
But it doesn't sound like he was initiating the trade.

Thank you. You said it so much better than I did. ;)

It sounds to me like we didn't trade up to get a player, but when the opportunity to move up for a very low cost presented itself, we made the trade and Hundley was at the top of the board at that time. TT probably figured that Hundley wouldn't last 20 more picks so his decision was whether Hundley was valuable enough to give up pick #247 knowing that we would still have 3 6th-round picks.

Doesn't matter which team's idea it was, the bottom line is he traded up to draft Hundley. He didn't hang up the phone and say, "Hey, we just made a deal and moved up. Who we got at the top of the board?" He said yes to the trade because he wanted to draft Hundley with that pick. He knew exactly what he was going to do with it the minute he made the deal, and if he didn't, he has no business sitting in the front office of an NFL team.

We talk all the time about how much he values draft picks - he wouldn't have given one up without what he thought was a darned good reason, and considering that Hundley was what he did with the pick, the only conclusion that makes sense is that he made the trade so that he could be sure of drafting Hundley.

When you trade up ... If you are making the call or someone else is you are targeting a guy. You don't just give a pic away not knowing who u want. Not the Ted Thompson MO

Don't know why so many are pissed at this pick. I am more pissed spending a 3rd on a WR who's primary use will be as a ST player. Could have taken a player that would have helped on defense instead of a ST player.
Simple. The 3rd round WR will contribute this year and be active. Hundley won't

Simple. The 3rd round WR will contribute this year and be active. Hundley won't

Agree that Montgomery will contribute and I predict it will be more than just special teams over time. But for year 1, if that's what he does, then at least he is adding something to the team. Extra yards on kick-offs and punts will turn into points and help the field position battle.

While I'm not as down on Hundley as some are, it is true (and would be for ANY QB we draft) that he won't likely contribute much on the field in his time with the Packers. His only possible value would be that they somehow coach him up and make him look good in pre-season for a few years and trade him for another pick. Unlikely, but the best possible scenario.

Doesn't matter which team's idea it was, the bottom line is he traded up to draft Hundley. He didn't hang up the phone and say, "Hey, we just made a deal and moved up. Who we got at the top of the board?" He said yes to the trade because he wanted to draft Hundley with that pick. He knew exactly what he was going to do with it the minute he made the deal, and if he didn't, he has no business sitting in the front office of an NFL team.

We talk all the time about how much he values draft picks - he wouldn't have given one up without what he thought was a darned good reason, and considering that Hundley was what he did with the pick, the only conclusion that makes sense is that he made the trade so that he could be sure of drafting Hundley.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. It sounds to me like the Patriots called with a great value trade - moving up 20 spots in the 5th for the cost of a 7th round pick. TT could have said no, but he clearly had Hundley at the top of his remaining board, figured that he wouldn't last another 20 picks and also decided that it was worth giving up a pick at the end of the draft to get Hundley.

There are 2 parts to analyzing this. The trade itself and then the players. Based on the trade, we got a steal. Yes, we lost a pick, but we moved up 20 spots in the 5th for a very low cost. Based on the talent and depth of our team, the odds are against a player selected at #247 making the team, let alone making a meaningful contribution. Yes, we have had some success with previous 7th-round picks, but we've had even more misses. So to me, giving up the last of 9 draft choices to move up 20 picks in the 5th is a no-brainer.

Secondly, we can analyze the players selected. However, since there is no way for us to know who we would have taken with our original two picks, it is a very limited analysis. We can only consider Hundley. It is true that he is a project and that it very unlikely that he will make any meaningful contribution in 2015. But at this point, it is way to early to know if he will make a contribution down the road, be an asset in a trade or be a total bust.

If he is a total bust, it wasn't like we spent a premium pick on him. Personally, I think it is an interesting, low-risk gamble with a potentially high return.

If it weren't for TT's history of selecting WR gems in rounds 2 and 3, I'd be very unhappy with this pick. Anything after round 4 is a total crap shoot, in my opinion, so I'm not going to be very upset when TT doesn't pick "my" guys. 3rd round is a little harder, though.

I wasn't wild about his 2 3rd-round picks last year, either. I would have taken Jaylen Watkins and Justin Ellis instead of Kyrie Thornton and Richard Rodgers. I liked Rodgers, but thought he was more of a 5th-7th-round guy.

Maybe it's just me but the WR pick early spoke volumes about how the team feels about Janis or Abby at that spot in the draft you are looking for a guy who projects as a #2 or #3 receiver.

Maybe it's just me but the WR pick early spoke volumes about how the team feels about Janis or Abby at that spot in the draft you are looking for a guy who projects as a #2 or #3 receiver.

Not just you. I wasn't that high on this particular WR, but I don't have a problem with the strategy - and it probably does tell us that there are concerns that either Janis or Abby will step up. I was a little surprised that Lockett went as early as he did, especially before Strong, and I would have loved him as our 3rd-round pick.

Back