If someone told you before the draft that we'd do what we did...

Rollins had a lot riding on his 40 time at the combine, and he ran high 4.6 and then high 4.5. His speed is a concern if you want to play him outside... Randall is just a concern, period, for playing CB. So, to me, it doesn't look like we drafted a pure CB who can play outside for us, which is where I thought we needed guys. There is even more pressure for Hayward to play well out there, as his speed for it is questionable, too. Further, he can't stay healthy.

If Hayward can't do it, or is injured, we're going to have to start Goodson, Randall, Rollins, Hyde or Tay Glover Right out there. I'm fearing the days of Michael Hawthorne or Jarrett Bush at CB might be back.

I understand you want to draft and develop... but when you have a hole at a position and the two guys drafted aren't guys best suited for that position I don't get it. Those two picks were need picks not BPA. If you're going to draft for need at least draft someone who is a player at that position of need not a conversion or question mark.

Looking at our DL group, I'm just stunned they didn't take Malcolm Brown. We have no players on the DL...that group from top to bottom is brutal minus Mike Daniels.

Last edited:
I'd have the same reaction. The first round pick is too much of a question to be a first round pick IMO. But that aside, you can see potential in every one of these picks. You can see where these guys fit into the team and several fill holes.

But there is no way to tell exactly what we have until the last pre-season game at the earliest. And will have an even better idea after a couple regular season games.

And none of these guys strike me as a Thornton/Goodson pick where you could tell they were flops, then they went into camp/season and promptly fell flat on their faces.

Here's Brady Quinn "lovin'" on the Randall pick:

Lol, I don't know if Randall is gonna be good or not. I wasn't exactly thrilled when I saw the pick. But since when does anyone care what Brady Quinn thinks? When did he become an authority on draft picks? It's not to say his opinion is any more or less worthwhile than anyone elses', but why so much focus on Quinn's opinion?

If Brady Quinn's evaluation of himself as a starting QB is any indication, we shouldn't trust him on CBs either.

My main disappointment is TT completely ignoring the OL. Seems like this draft was all about filling specific roles for next year.

I was disappointed as well. We don't have a lot of good backups for the OL. We have Barclay, who I thought was pretty good and we have Tretter. Both have been injured. Who does that leave if something happens?

As for the other picks I was shocked that they didn't pick anyone that had been discussed in Mock drafts etc. Doesn't mean they won't be able to play. I'm willing to wait and see, especially when Witt gets his hands on the DBs.
To me Hundley makes sense and quite honestly I think he's the best projected back-up we have had in quite a while. I like Tolzien but not totally sold on him.

We have 10 OL on the roster right now. A lot of the depth depends on how Taylor, Vujnovich, and Walker progress. If 2 of those guys make good progress then depth is pretty decent.

A few of those UDFA OL are intriguing as well..

Like everyone else, I was completely taken off guard when we selected Randall. But that is my own fault for not investigating him strictly because he was listed as a safety and that wasn't one of our needs. We all should have been thinking DB instead of pigeon-holing a guy like him into a specific position. Had we done that, then I'm sure that he would have been listed as a possible first round target for us. But I don't think I saw a single mock or a single post of anyone who had him as our pick. But he seems to be an uber-athletic ball-hawk, which is just what many of us said was our biggest need along with ILB.

Rollins was in a group of CB's that I wanted at least one of. Getting him at pick #62 was good value. The only reason not to like this pick is because of who we took in the first round. But we needed to replace both Williams and House, so I actually like the double-dip at the top of the draft.

Montgomery? Not a fan of that pick. No problem with taking a WR as I think we needed one more since we don't know what we have with Janis and Abby, but I didn't like some of what I read about Montgomery. However, if he was taken mainly as a kick returner, that could be a smart move. Also, TT seems to almost always hit on the WR's that he takes in rounds 2 and 3 so he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Ryan wasn't a guy that I had looked at, but from what I've read he sounds like a solid choice, especially at this stage of the draft. I think that makes more sense than taking a guy like Perryman which would have required either our first round pick or a trade-up in the second round.

I don't worry too much about the picks in rounds 5-7. If they make a contribution, that's great, but I don't see a huge difference between some of them and some of the UDFA's.

I'm curious to follow the careers of Randall and Malcom Brown. TT must have really liked Randall to pass on Brown. Or maybe the draft community just overvalued Brown.

I was one who would have preferred Brown over Randall.. We also should follow Raji/Guion vs Brown as well. I'm sure TT thinks NT is set with those 2. If they tank and Brown ends up a ROY candidate then i'll be pissed. But if Randall ends up a starter with a great season it's all good.

I think the biggest reason so many aren't enamored with this draft is because of what we felt was the #1 huge need = ILB. Most of the 'experts' and fans were certain Ted was going to address this position early on and perhaps even double dip. But looking back at how it all went down it is evident the fellas in the war room at 1265 felt the secondary and improving our special teams were the bigger issues facing the ball club.

Back