Going Forward

I think you nailed most of it in your initial post Mark.

1) Screw the Saints game - rest everyone who is borderline and get them healthy for the rest of the season.
2) Tailor the game plan for Hundley - dumb it down if you need to.
3) Run more.
4) Sign a QB ASAP.

As for the OL, I think they believed that they had it solved with Murphy and Spriggs - heck I think most fans thought they were fine at OT a year ago. Injury has killed the depth. I still agree with drafting OL though. I think it's the heart of your team and like a great QB can cover up other offensive deficiencies - so I'd draft one in the first 4-5 rounds every single year.

There really isn't much out there in terms of QBs. I think Kaep is a bad fit unless you really change the offense. After that, I think McKown and Shaun Hill are still out there, but those aren't exactly difference makers.

I'm sure we'll win a few more games but 7-9 or 8-8 is looking like a real possibility. As others have said, AR has made a .500-ish team a contender for the past decade. Now they'll find out just how average their roster really is. Minny is winning with their back-up QB, because they have a seriously good defense. After AR, I don't see a "seriously good" unit or position group on this team. There aren't any really bad units, just no group or side of the ball that can win a game for you.

I think you nailed most of it in your initial post Mark.

1) Screw the Saints game - rest everyone who is borderline and get them healthy for the rest of the season.
2) Tailor the game plan for Hundley - dumb it down if you need to.
3) Run more.
4) Sign a QB ASAP.

As for the OL, I think they believed that they had it solved with Murphy and Spriggs - heck I think most fans thought they were fine at OT a year ago. Injury has killed the depth. I still agree with drafting OL though. I think it's the heart of your team and like a great QB can cover up other offensive deficiencies - so I'd draft one in the first 4-5 rounds every single year.

There really isn't much out there in terms of QBs. I think Kaep is a bad fit unless you really change the offense. After that, I think McKown and Shaun Hill are still out there, but those aren't exactly difference makers.

I'm sure we'll win a few more games but 7-9 or 8-8 is looking like a real possibility. As others have said, AR has made a .500-ish team a contender for the past decade. Now they'll find out just how average their roster really is. Minny is winning with their back-up QB, because they have a seriously good defense. After AR, I don't see a "seriously good" unit or position group on this team. There aren't any really bad units, just no group or side of the ball that can win a game for you.

I disagree that there isn't talent on this team. When healthy our OL is top 5. The DL right now is solid. Daniels Lowery and Clark is a good group. Clark is playing like an all pro even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet. We really missed Burney yesterday. HaHa cant touch what Burney does on this D. I get it that injuries aren't an excuse but holy hell we are trotting out guys that should never see the field. This teams starters are not bad.

Sorry but I just don't see Hundley doing anything to help us win. He does not read defenses well and he has a slow release. He did not drive this team at all yesterday. We only scored because we had TOs and were inside the 20. Also if you go back and look at the game, Hundley is very inaccurate. The WRs had to compensate to catch balls behind them, etc. Even if and when the o-line gets healthy I am not convinced it will make a difference for Hundley.

I hope I am wrong but I only see us beating Cleveland and even that is iffy at this point. This defense is too inconsistent to depend on when your offense cannot sustain drives anymore.

Sorry but I refuse to look at this team with rose colored glasses right now.

We used to have a tough, gritty, veteran OL who could play through injuries at a high level. But for some dumb reason MM/TT like youth (read: cheap) over experience and it has really bit GB in the butt hard. Our OL is soft, no other way to put it. Would be great to have Linsley right now as well.

I disagree with this sentiment. Both Bahktiari and Bulaga have played through injuries before. Some injuries you can play through. Some you just can't. The youth thing has nothing to do with grit or injury. Hell Sitton missed a quarter of the season in Chicago last year.

I know this may draw some heat, but Hundley couldn't QB any team in the NFL to 8 wins. He's not a field leader, and it's obvious in his demeanor on the field. He's never going to be a starter for anyone, unless they're really a disaster.

On the other hand, let's see what he has. At least it will silence all the talk about how he could help other teams, is worth a decent pick, etc. We're going to find out how good he really is, real soon.

The break was on Rodger's dominant clavicle, different that 2013's break of his non-dominant clavicle. That means you don't want to play on it until it is completely healed since that shoulder is (obviously) used by him a lot to throw and the clavicle is the "strut" to his right throwing shoulder. My guess is it gets plated so it heals into correct position and is left to heal the rest of the season.

Neither Calhoun nor Hundley look like they have what it takes to successfully lead this offense. Of the three backups I saw during this preseason, only one showed promise - and he's no longer available. Romo won't give up what he's (successfully) doing to play behind our crippled OL, especially given his past injuries. I see only two scenarios:
  1. Hundley. Give him the reins, see if he improves and can be a legitimate NFL QB. We don't know if he can be. If he shows improvement, great! He'll be good trade bait next season. Frankly, I do believe we not only have no SB chance with him, but probably would struggle to win a playoff spot with him.
  2. Kaepernick. Not a Kaepernick fan, but I have to be honest here. This is a smart choice. Wisconsin is his home state and he did grew up with Favre as his idol. His big negative is his divisiveness. However, he recently said he'd stand for the anthem and that could actually be a huge positive for the NFL right now, especially with NFL concerns about him being blackballed. But, by far, the most important reason this would be a smart move is this is an offense right now where a mobile QB would work best, especially given the health of the OL. This is a good group of WRs that provides Kap an opportunity to prove he can still play. Plus, it's the only QB talent I see that give the Packers a legitimate chance to not only make playoffs but also win the NFC North.

About Barr's hit on Rodgers... I heard Pereira's explanation. Yes, it was a hit defenders dream about - to wrap up a QB (especially the division QB Rodgers) and drive him into the ground and get away with it as legitimate, good hard NFL hit. I still don’t like the no-call on it and feel those should get flagged. The ball was out when Barr wrapped him up and drove him into the ground. Just hate seeing legitimate ways to remove a QB from a game (or season), whether our's or an opponent's, being allowed. I'm sure this is a minority opinion.

I agree with the Arod getting a bit lazy. And i'll give Barr some benefit of the doubt cause Arod can be slippery. He could have just as easily pump faked Barr and kept running. To me Barr just tried to finish the play. Arod landed in an awkward position, it didn't look like an overly hard hit to me. At least no worse than i've seen from GB's LBs on occasion .....

Barr probably gets fined since it was like a step and a half before he hit Arod though.

I think it was the equivalent of finishing your check in hockey.

I disagree that there isn't talent on this team. When healthy our OL is top 5. The DL right now is solid. Daniels Lowery and Clark is a good group. Clark is playing like an all pro even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet. We really missed Burney yesterday. HaHa cant touch what Burney does on this D. I get it that injuries aren't an excuse but holy hell we are trotting out guys that should never see the field. This teams starters are not bad.
That theory of the talent isn't bad will now be tested over the next 8 games for sure. Let's see how it shakes out.

That theory of the talent isn't bad will now be tested over the next 8 games for sure. Let's see how it shakes out.
The caveat is always "when healthy"....this team is rarely healthy. Depth will get a workout.

The problem isnt the talent we have or had, the problem is the horrible coaching. With McCarthy and his staff here, we could be 100% healthy and we would not see another super bowl.

Back