Going Forward

The problem isnt the talent we have or had, the problem is the horrible coaching. With McCarthy and his staff here, we could be 100% healthy and we would not see another super bowl.
Not going to argue that point.... it's all going to shake out this year. My point is take Rodgers out of the equation then some of this other stuff can't hide behind his arm anymore.

There wasn't a back up QB in the league that was going to succeed coming into that game yesterday. At one time our OL from left to right looked like a second half preseason lineup.
Hundley doesn't need the playbook 'dumbed down', he has been here three years now and should know it well. There are things ARod could do that no other QB could do so Hundley isn't going to save MMs ass like Rodgers could. Our defense started the game missing 3 starting DBs. Still, it's hard to watch opposing WRs running wide open through the middle over and over.

The talent on our roster isn't great sans ARod, but it's not terrible either. The onus is squarely on the coaching staff now. Maybe this will force Capers to knock off the 'gimmick' packages and play more base? MM is going to be in the spotlight now without the best QB in the league bailing him out. Hundley has a great opportunity to show that he is starting caliber. NOBODY knows yet. He has come a long way in the last two years. Not going to mail it in for the year, because nobody in the NFL is that good this year. It's cliche, but one game at a time. If we get our DBs back healthy we should be able to compete. Otherwise..ARod's injury could lead to some major changes. I'd say Capers seat is hotter than MMs, but both just warmed up quite a bit!!

Yes, we have injuries everywhere, but the Saints are actually a good matchup for our situation this week. If our DBs come back.

I disagree that there isn't talent on this team. When healthy our OL is top 5. The DL right now is solid. Daniels Lowery and Clark is a good group. Clark is playing like an all pro even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet. We really missed Burney yesterday. HaHa cant touch what Burney does on this D. I get it that injuries aren't an excuse but holy hell we are trotting out guys that should never see the field. This teams starters are not bad.

Just to be clear, I don't think this team has "no talent", but I just can't name a group, even when healthy that can carry this team.

OL looks like top-5 at times, but I would argue that they may not be that good. AR and his ability to evade the rush makes them look better at times than they probably are. Even when healthy, they have some trouble running the ball.

DL has some solid individuals but it seems like teams continue to be able to run on us. Second half of the Dallas game and seemingly the Vikes had some run game yesterday. How many sacks did the DL have yesterday or at any point this season. I know they are not the primary pass rushers in a 3-4 (or whatever scheme DC has them playing at any point in time) but I don't see them collapsing the pocket and making it tough for opposing QBs all that regularly.

Again, I'm not saying the team is devoid of talent but I just feel like this seems like a .500 type team without AR. Hopefully they get healthy and prove me dead wrong but I just don't see either the defense, the run game, etc., being able to be the thing we can count on to bail this team out and make them better than .500.

I'm legitimately concerned that Hundley won't make it out of next Sunday's game healthy with the patchwork OL he's going to be behind. I want Hundley to get all of the reps and he deserves the opportunity, but if he gets hurt or if he is totally awful, I'm looking at signing a vet ASAP.

I'm legitimately concerned that Hundley won't make it out of next Sunday's game healthy with the patchwork OL he's going to be behind. I want Hundley to get all of the reps and he deserves the opportunity, but if he gets hurt or if he is totally awful, I'm looking at signing a vet ASAP.

The threat of Hundley getting injured is real. He doesn't have a quick enough release to avoid getting hit. We may end up seeing what Callahan has quicker than we want. That said, some people believe he might be the better QB of the two.

I'll hold my opinion on that one until after I see what Hundley can do with his having taken the snaps during an entire week's practice.

I agree with so much of what everyone is saying, including that now it's up to McCarthy to show us what he really has as a coach. From a fan's point of view, I hope he does great! As a realist, I think we fall on our collective arses, if for no other reason than the offensive game plan will be dummied down to nothing.

Looking at the schedule going forward I think there are two games that I think we win - home against Tampa and at Cleveland. That puts us at 6-10 on the year, right inside the top 10 for draft order.

Truly, as others have said, the record going forward will depend on the health of players around Hundley. Lots of guys need to get healthy and lots of guys need to step up and do their jobs. This is the moment where we need our veteran OL to help the QB with protection calls, we need our receivers to help him by making the correct route adjustments, the RBs need to pick up blitzes, and the play caller needs to give him better options. Hundley is capable of running our offense just fine, we don't need to simplify much for him, but he needs to have options beyond the video game throws that AR makes. They're going to blitz him hard going forward, this is where a veteran RB would help a lot.

I'm not an advocate for knee jerk signings or trades, but if I'm TT we need to have some better depth going forward. Nick Mangold would be a good start for the OL, if we're moving guys around then a veteran like Mangold at LG would be better than Lucas Patrick. Having youth on the OL that doesn't have any experience in protection calls in front of a QB who doesn't have that experience either is dangerous. Evan Mathis might be another veteran option. DeAngelo Williams would be a good veteran option at RB. He's not elite anymore, but he can pick up a blitz and he's a smart player.

1. Get healthy. Or at least healthier.
2. Catch the ball. Can’t have anymore drops like Bennett and Ty yesterday. If Hundley does his job the receivers have to make it count.
3. For the love of all that is holy start tackling better on defense.
4. Hide every piece of equipment, pads, cleats, unis, and helmets for Randall and Ryan.
It’s not like everyone has to do more or things they’re not capable of doing. But everyone has to execute what they’re asked to do with the human safety net on the shelf.

Beat New Orleans. That’s all that matters right now.

One game at a time. But all the injuries, continuing injuries to the OL in particular, does not bode well.

Then there is the stuck on stupid Capers defense that only AR could overcome.sick(

Back