5 Moves The Packers Need to Make

This draft is super deep at RB. I would rather load up at CB because we have shown that start of season we were deep at CB and by middle of season we were ready to sign bums living under the overpass

At RB, next season, they'll go with at least one of our old RBs, and grab a kid, late in the draft. They'll use Montgomery as their all-purpose back, and use him as the RB when they switch out to an empty backfield. It's a good fit for that offense.

The thrust of the draft will be defense. We might even see Thompson look for a way to trade up to get one of the top two or three CBs coming out. If he can't do that, we might see him swap a pick for a player who's already in the NFL.

Expect him to do things just a little different than he has, because he can see the glaring weakness on this team, and needs to address it.

Also, watch for a 7th round pick for the offensive line. A guy who can be coached up, to play in our system.

But, the big question, in my mind, is whether or not Thompson & McCarthy are going to risk another year with Capers as the DC? I have a feeling that's an issue on Lombardi Avenue.

I hope Thompson doesn't risk another year of Thompson! He's not gonna change his modus operandi. Ever. I want somebody that's more progressive. TT has never shown the propensity for building a great defense. This team defense has serious shortcomings and has for years.

5 offseason moves

1 time to move on from Capers.

its been long enough. watching teams (good teams) constantly picking up 3rd and long is sickening. Yea blame can be put on players but the soft zone and cushions aren't even putting guys in position to succeed. the middle of the field has be exploited for a long time. This falls on the DC. Go out and find a young hungry guy.

2 Strength and Cond group needs to be run out of town

I have ranted on this for years and its time. This group is one of if not the worst in the league. Both in credentials and output. They are all from the same school and same mind set. Old and out dated style. You need I diverse group that uses proven methods. We need to keep guys as healthy as possible, in shape and find ways to fix reoccurring problems. Yes I understand its football but the trend of always being injured falls back on training. This could be #1

3 Land a FA that is going to start.

Hard to see some of these CBs getting away from their current teams but IF Bouye, Gilmore Johnson or even Claiborne hit the market we need to jump on them. The window will not be open forever. Shore up this leaking D. Shields is going to be cut. We need a CB we can trust. Until then we will continue to struggle on D

4 Sign our own guys

Perry is on top of the list. With Peps future up in the air Clay not getting it done, Perry is a must. Cook is next followed by Lang and Tretter. I prefer Tretter at C. Lang is a warrior and team leader. TT doesn't like to sign many over 30 but Lang has some good years left in the tank. Keep the group together.

5 Draft the freaks

One thing lacking on this team, esp on D is the super athletes. We have some good football players but we are missing some future blue or red chip players. One thing I noticed with the ATL d is they were fast. During the year they were not good but they fininshed strong and showed that they have some gifted players. Look for guys in the draft with high celings. My favorites right now are Takk McKinley and Tanoh. Also some nice looking TEs that could be future matchup problems

5 offseason moves

1 time to move on from Capers.

its been long enough. watching teams (good teams) constantly picking up 3rd and long is sickening. Yea blame can be put on players but the soft zone and cushions aren't even putting guys in position to succeed. the middle of the field has be exploited for a long time. This falls on the DC. Go out and find a young hungry guy.

2 Strength and Cond group needs to be run out of town

I have ranted on this for years and its time. This group is one of if not the worst in the league. Both in credentials and output. They are all from the same school and same mind set. Old and out dated style. You need I diverse group that uses proven methods. We need to keep guys as healthy as possible, in shape and find ways to fix reoccurring problems. Yes I understand its football but the trend of always being injured falls back on training. This could be #1

3 Land a FA that is going to start.

Hard to see some of these CBs getting away from their current teams but IF Bouye, Gilmore Johnson or even Claiborne hit the market we need to jump on them. The window will not be open forever. Shore up this leaking D. Shields is going to be cut. We need a CB we can trust. Until then we will continue to struggle on D

4 Sign our own guys

Perry is on top of the list. With Peps future up in the air Clay not getting it done, Perry is a must. Cook is next followed by Lang and Tretter. I prefer Tretter at C. Lang is a warrior and team leader. TT doesn't like to sign many over 30 but Lang has some good years left in the tank. Keep the group together.

5 Draft the freaks

One thing lacking on this team, esp on D is the super athletes. We have some good football players but we are missing some future blue or red chip players. One thing I noticed with the ATL d is they were fast. During the year they were not good but they fininshed strong and showed that they have some gifted players. Look for guys in the draft with high celings. My favorites right now are Takk McKinley and Tanoh. Also some nice looking TEs that could be future matchup problems
I came on here this morning to post what I thought were the 5 things we needed to do. You have already posted exactly what I wanted to. Only things I would add would be that I would like to see us resign Lacy. I believe Lacy and Montgomery could be a very effective set of backs for us. Then we don't have to use a pick on rb. I would also have said to look at a proven pass rusher in free agency, but I don't see any that would be available that we could afford....

I came on here this morning to post what I thought were the 5 things we needed to do. You have already posted exactly what I wanted to. Only things I would add would be that I would like to see us resign Lacy. I believe Lacy and Montgomery could be a very effective set of backs for us. Then we don't have to use a pick on rb. I would also have said to look at a proven pass rusher in free agency, but I don't see any that would be available that we could afford....

I still think you draft a RB because it's not worth giving Lacy anything more then a 1 year incentive based prove it deal.

Im for bringing Lacy back on a Raji prove it type deal. The market will be low for him so we have the upper hand. An offseason of Monty knowing hes a back will good. then add a back in the draft at some point. There are some nice guys to be had on day 3

The Packers will be 35-40 million under the cap, according to sources I've seen lately. Maybe more if they part ways with Shields and possibly sign Peppers to a reasonable 1 year deal. They could also restructure Aaron and CM3 (which they need to do). That would gain even more.

Green Bay needs to get into a new mindset. That's why I'd like to see a forward thinking, progressive GM that can build a great defense for once. No more of this, 'We can't afford it' stuff. Go for it while you have possibly the greatest player in NFL history playing for you.

BTW Backthepack4ever, I agree with you 1000% on the trainers. WAY too many soft tissue injuries! Enough already. Just being loyal to Lovat because his Dad coached the OL back in '96 or so? Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
You also look at Montgomery he only had 1 game were he had more then 10 carries that's backup RB status when you carry that many times a game. IMO you can't go RBBC and have 3-4 guys splitting 30 carries a game. You need to be able to get into a pattern and let one guy who will be your bell cow back.

The Packers will be 35-40 million under the cap, according to sources I've seen lately. Maybe more if they part ways with Shields and possibly sign Peppers to a reasonable 1 year deal. They could also restructure Aaron and CM3 (which they need to do). That would gain even more.

Green Bay needs to get into a new mindset. That's why I'd like to see a forward thinking, progressive GM that can build a great defense for once. No more of this, 'We can't afford it' stuff. Go for it while you have possibly the greatest player in NFL history playing for you.

No point in restrucrting Matthews. He has 2 years left on deal. He will demand more years if you want to redo his contract which you do not want to do. Matthews will see the last of his dead money next year so if he has another subpar year you can cut him after next year with one year left on his deal and have no cap hit.

Back