5 Moves The Packers Need to Make

I suspect your numbers are pretty reasonable "eye", but I think a few might be a bit pessimistic. I think Lang will get a deal closer to Sitton's with a CAP hit of more like $6-7mil. Dougherty in the MilwJS thinks it might even be less. Something around $7mil would make him about the 10th highest paid OG next season. That seems like about all he will get, IMO.

I'd be really surprised if Tretter gets as much a Lang. Yes, he's younger, but OCs tend to get less than OGs. $8.5mil CAP hit would make Tretter the 6th highest paid OC in the league next year. That seems high for a guy who's missed a lot of time due to injury. I'm thinking something more like $6mil which would put his 2017 CAP hit at about 10th in the league. Even that might be a bit much, but teams may like that fact that he's really versatile.

The rookie piece is also confusing because of the way the NFL calculates it. Demovsky wrote an article last year that sort of clarifies. For example, last year, the rookie CAP number for the Packers 7 picks was about $5.3mil. However, because only the top-51 contracts are actually counted in the CAP number, those bottom rookie deals don't really get counted and the better rookie deals bump some other guys who currently are at the bottom. In the end, of the $5.3mil in the rookie CAP pool from last year, $2.6mil was bumped by other contracts falling off the bottom of the 51. I suspect this year will be similar.

My additional thoughts don't majorly change things, but we might have a few million more.

Eye. I see where they are getting their 'comps', but just because other teams over paid some of those comparables doesn't mean the Pack should. Lang could be had for a lower average with most upfront IMO. Maybe something like 3 yrs $20M with 12 of that upfront? He weakened his position by admitting he wants to stay put. Chicago overpaid for Sitton, we shouldn't make that mistake. Same for Tretter- make a reasonable offer (he would be our Super 6th man). If someone wants to pay him more? Let him walk (I hope he stays, jack of all trades). You need to keep one of the two at least.
I really don't want to see Dr. Jekyll/Micah Hyde back though. He made some nice plays in the playoffs, but he spent most of the year letting TEs make first down catches. I know Capers likes him cause he's smart, but he's slow and doesn't hit. We have plenty of those guys.

Back