5 Moves The Packers Need to Make

Lang is already making 6 million plus per year. He isn't taking a pay cut and shouldn't be asked to. 3 years 20 million may get it done.

Agreed, eye.

Deep at RB. Could wait until round 2 or 3 to grab a RB.

I would rather grab a CB or LB in round 1. Maybe even a game changing WR. :)

Agreed on all but FA wont happen if TT is here.
Then get rid of him already. Bring back Dorsey. Or Schneider. Or ANYBODY who knows how to build a good to great defense. And a guy who doesn't act like FA money comes out of his own bank account! Beyond irritating. What good does it do to be 35 to 40 million under the cap??? Ted? Please...get out of the way! Are they really going to let him just sit there and do nothing while Aaron's career wraps up??? Bah! FP(DHH(

These 5 moves are a great start, but with TT, I just don't see it happening. I've defended his lack of diving into FA at times in the past, in part because there have been times when they have had CAP room, but not as much as you'd think and we had some new contracts likely to come up as well.

Keeping Lang and Cook should be easy. Lang will sign pretty much for the same money he's already making. He was making roughly top-10 guard money already and likely won't get much more than that from anyone else. His CAP number would stay nearly the same. Cook needs to get offered a solid deal, which again should not break the bank. Tretter won't be expensive with his injury history. I'd sign him unless the money gets crazy, and let him and Linsley battle for the starting spot. SO, keeping OL intact and getting Cook on board are pretty simple.

Draft will have plenty of options at both CB and RB. Grab one of each in the first 4 rounds. Preferably a CB in Rd1-2, a RB in Rd 3-4. Those two are easy to handle as well.

It's FA that will be the problem. That is in large part why I am thinking it is time for a new GM. TT is just not a FA type guy. This year will be nearly unprecedented for the Packers in terms of CAP space. Letting Peppers walk and cutting Shields will add $15-20mil in CAP space. Add that to the roll-over and the CAP increase and there is plenty to spend even after Cook, Lang and Tretter. TT won't do much, if anything, with it. Because of the timing of our CAP situation, I think this is the perfect time to bring in a GM who will use that CAP room wisely on things like a CB and OLB.

Plus, with the way the team is headed in terms of stars getting older, there could be even more CAP room to come in the next year or two. I could easily see them cutting (or not re-signing) guys like Matthews, Cobb, Burnett, others who are regressing somewhat and being paid more than their value.

Not to mention but Kamara was basically used as a 3rd down back. We need a 3 down back.
Daniel Jeremiah's take:

Alvin Kamara - RB, Tennessee
Kamara has ideal size, speed and instincts for the position. On inside runs, he has a slashing running style and the ability to get skinny through the hole. His lateral quickness is off the charts and he gets up to top speed in a hurry. He has surprising power at all three levels. Against Vanderbilt, he broke six tackles on the same play. He has the speed to get the edge on outside runs and he's very elusive in space. He is dangerous in the passing game. He has natural hands and has shown the ability to make special catches (see one-handed grab vs. Texas A&M). The major knock on Kamara is the lack of carries he had during his college career; he's never carried the ball more than 18 times. However, he has an elite skill set and could end up being the best running back in the entire draft class.

He shared the rock at Tennessee. Very little mileage. I wouldn't take him in the first round.

Daniel Jeremiah's take:

Alvin Kamara - RB, Tennessee
Kamara has ideal size, speed and instincts for the position. On inside runs, he has a slashing running style and the ability to get skinny through the hole. His lateral quickness is off the charts and he gets up to top speed in a hurry. He has surprising power at all three levels. Against Vanderbilt, he broke six tackles on the same play. He has the speed to get the edge on outside runs and he's very elusive in space. He is dangerous in the passing game. He has natural hands and has shown the ability to make special catches (see one-handed grab vs. Texas A&M). The major knock on Kamara is the lack of carries he had during his college career; he's never carried the ball more than 18 times. However, he has an elite skill set and could end up being the best running back in the entire draft class.

He shared the rock at Tennessee. Very little mileage. I wouldn't take him in the first round.

Someone will reach for him but he belongs in the 3rd or 4th round. Working on a mock draft right now

Kamara could be ideal for the Packers because we run the ball 15-20 times at most per game. We would not go much more on carries and he can catch out of the backfield.
Makes sense.

My sure-fire five move approach to improve the Packers and get to SB LII:
  1. Fire defensive coaching staff;
  2. Hire new defensive coaching staff;
  3. Draft defense in rounds 1, 2, and 3 and two of the later rounds;
  4. Use FA to improve defense;
  5. Implement new defensive scheme.

Back