2024 Draft Thread

Also 10-20 spots above media consensus. When you look at someone’s top 50, Gute will likely be picking someone in the 30’s-40’s
I could see Guyton who some see in that fringe early 30s on boards.

Also 10-20 spots above media consensus. When you look at someone’s top 50, Gute will likely be picking someone in the 30’s-40’s
Media consensus just means most popular. If they were experts in assessing talent, they would be doing that instead of talking about it.

Media consensus just means most popular. If they were experts in assessing talent, they would be doing that instead of talking about it.

True. The other thing that is often "assumed" is that the media has consensus among themselves. I see pretty significant differences in big boards and mocks all the time. If you look around enough you find considerable variation among the media. The same is also true between teams.

When Mel Kiper says so-and-so was taken too high, if you dig you can almost always find someone else who has that player in the range where they were taken. Sure, there's the occasional head scratcher like the Patriots drafting Cole Strange in Rd1 a couple of years ago where nobody but BB had him that high, but those aren't all that common.

True. The other thing that is often "assumed" is that the media has consensus among themselves. I see pretty significant differences in big boards and mocks all the time. If you look around enough you find considerable variation among the media. The same is also true between teams.

When Mel Kiper says so-and-so was taken too high, if you dig you can almost always find someone else who has that player in the range where they were taken. Sure, there's the occasional head scratcher like the Patriots drafting Cole Strange in Rd1 a couple of years ago where nobody but BB had him that high, but those aren't all that common.
And players can be evaluated higher and lower based on the system that the NFL team employs.
Plus "who the hell is Mel Kiper anyways?"

Actually, though it's hard to believe, but Kiper is fairly accurate in his evaluations. He predicted close to 25% of last year's first round picks, and when he posts evaluations, he gives well thought out evaluations of why he says what he does, about players. Is he the best? Not necessarily. Last year Brendan Donahue was the most accurate prognosticator. He's definitely worthwhile checking out. He knows his stuff. He may not be the best of all time, but he does have some chops.

Here's a link to his projections for this year's first round.

Brugler called it outstanding but he did no agility drills, and that (plus 40) matters the most for corners. It’s good that he is healthy enough to workout but the main question mark for him is agility and his ability to be an outside corner. If you don’t think he can play outside then you’re using the 25th overall pick to either 1. draft a slot corner, or 2. assume high end level of play at S, where he hasn’t played before

DeJean will be a good player, but with the new defense, is he a fit? Those Iowa guys tend to play a lot more zone than man and if Hafley is truly going to play a lot more man, I'd be kinda worried about his fit. Look no further than Josh Jackson, who to be fair was not as good an athlete as DeJean. I agree with you that it would have been nice to see some agility numbers. I suspect he skipped those for a reason.

I'm not a 100% fan of PFF, but they watch a lot more football than I do. They give him a much better grade in zone coverage than man coverage so it raises a little bit of a red flag, for me. I think they can find a role for him but as I mentioned elsewhere, I think it might be as sort of a big slot/box safety than an outside corner. Not so sure that's worth pick 25. We'll see.

Actually, though it's hard to believe, but Kiper is fairly accurate in his evaluations. He predicted close to 25% of last year's first round picks, and when he posts evaluations, he gives well thought out evaluations of why he says what he does, about players. Is he the best? Not necessarily. Last year Brendan Donahue was the most accurate prognosticator. He's definitely worthwhile checking out. He knows his stuff. He may not be the best of all time, but he does have some chops.

Here's a link to his projections for this year's first round.

Kiper at times to can be a fan just like the rest of use. Month or two ago he was on TV saying how ATL should trade the #8 pick to Chicago for Justin Fields.

When doing mocks I took this guy a few times. Wonder if and how far this could knock him down the board.

Texas DT T’Vondre Sweat was arrested early this morning and charged with DWI, according to @KXAN_News in Austin. Sweat is viewed as a potential day 2 draft pick.
More coming out he was invovled in a role over crash and also his SUV smelled like weed. Very possible he falls to a 4th or 5th round pick now.

More coming out he was invovled in a role over crash and also his SUV smelled like weed. Very possible he falls to a 4th or 5th round pick now.

Everybody's car smells like weed, this isn't the old days.

So far, they haven't said if he was drunk, or higher than a kite on pot. The fact that he rolled the car over, and was glassy-eyed is the problem. I'm certain that toxicology will prove how over the line he was. As far as the "smell of pot" in the vehicle is like saying the driver was wearing a cowboy hat. It's that commonly used in the Austin area, despite not being legal, if it was put to a vote, the people of Texas would pass it as acceptable by a huge margin.

To be candid, if I didn't have COPD, I'd probably want to smoke a joint now and then to escape the pain in my back and legs. But, since it's illegal, I can't buy it here in Texas, and my wife has a great recipe for pot laced brownies I'd love to have her make. After being a cop so many years, I realized that there were worse things than pot out there that we should be more concerned about.

But, with Sweat, he is going to take a drop in the draft, but not as far as people think.

Back