2024 Draft Thread

Most talking heads give GB a solid B range grade for the draft. Which I can agree on. GB went into draft not drafting BPA and highest rated prospect on the board but took guys to fill the holes which IMO is what you needed to do.

Reactions: TW
SMH every site you see talking about draft says Morgan is the Packers most "Questionable" Pick because they say it's unsure if he can play OT and he might need to play OG and is he fully recovered for a ACL 2 years ago. I swear most of these talking heads are upset they did not go with DeJean which 90% of them had to GB mocked.

History has shown OL is not the sexy pick but the safe pick. I think Gute was right to go OL. Only thing to debate was which OL was the safe choice Morgan, Burton, Or Guyton. Morgan I think had the most upside while Burton had the lowest bust risk but probably least upside.

Last edited:
I thought DeJean was a Packers type. Others here said he had athletic limitations and didn’t fit the scheme. Obviously GB agreed with them because they passed on him twice! Yes I count the second round as a pass because Gute has shown that he will make bad trades - or I should say, trades where he loses on the trade charts - in order to get a player he wants. Did it for Savage, did it for Jordan Love, did it for Watson. If they wanted him they easily had the ammo to move up and take him. They chose not to, end of story.

In the first I think they had their eye on OL and in their eyes Morgan 1. projected to OT which put him above Barton in value and 2. could play multiple positions which put him above Guyton in value.

I mentioned, long before the draft, that the Packers were going to shore up the offensive line with an early pick, and with a safety. If you looked at the make up of the roster moving forward, you could see those were the two glaring needs, and if guys who had the skills were out there when they had those picks, they'd grab them.

The BPA is great in theory, when you can afford it, and so is the ideas making positions better, but sometimes you need to take a deep breath and ask yourself what is it you need that makes the group on the field better. That's exactly what they did with this draft. There may not be a lot of household names on this list, but every player drafted has a significant amount of skills that they have an extremely good chance of making the team, and making the roster stronger. To me, that's what matters more than the glitzy A, B, and C rankings by people who only see the quality of the player, not team needs.

it was my understanding that dejean's physical limitation was his 40 time, which i have been informed is not important in the nfl.
I thought his 40 was great considering coming off injury. I think the issue was hip tightness and lack of tape playing man.

As far as 40 time goes, someone did some research on this and i believe corner was the position with strongest correlation to fast 40 times. It’s hard to play corner if not under 4.5, whereas WRs seem to do OK up to 4.6. But there again, i’m just summarizing someone else’s data

it was my understanding that dejean's physical limitation was his 40 time, which i have been informed is not important in the nfl.
I heard DeJean issue was agility could he make the cuts needed to be a CB. He did not do the agility drills at the private workout he did only 40 time. That's why thinking if he does play CB he's stock as a slot CB if not moved to safety for lack of being able to make cuts needed.

I heard DeJean issue was agility could he make the cuts needed to be a CB. He did not do the agility drills at the private workout he did only 40 time. That's why thinking if he does play CB he's stock as a slot CB if not moved to safety for lack of being able to make cuts needed.
he ran a 4.67 40 at his pro day.

Back years ago, when James Jones came into the league with the Packers, people were saying he wasn't good enough, not fast. His best 40 time was 4.59. As I watched him, in preseason, I saw that he was going to be a solid receiver. There were things that told me that, just watching him out there.

First of all, he did not lose speed when he made his cuts. He used perfect hip rotation to make those cuts, and didn't end up in nearly a full stop, like so many receivers do. Secondly, his cuts were precise, and he turned his head, to see the QB, at exactly the precise time on routes, knowing they were timed routes. His #1 game was insuring he would be where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be, and exactly like they practiced it.

Next, he knew how to read defenses, and like Jordy Nelson did, could find seams in the defense that his QBs also saw. Both of them would be in that seam, and our QBs knew it. They became targets on critical downs, even if they were only second or third options.

Back