2024 Draft Thread

I would not take him at all if you would want him at CB. He will get burned over and over again. I think that's why he is being sloted at safety because he won't convert to a CB in the NFL. But not strange to happen. Look at Urlacher in college he was a safety that moved to LB in NFL.
GB wants guys to play man over including the Safety.... that is the system and that's why I pass on DeJean

Just did a first in a mock took a punter Troy Taylor in the 7th round. If we are giving Carlson competiton so might as well Whealon.

GB wants guys to play man over including the Safety.... that is the system and that's why I pass on DeJean
I am not a huge DeJean fan just took him as thought it would be value at pick 41.

So with draft coming up. I have heard talk that GB does not need to make 11 picks in this draft and that 11 picks or more would not make this team and that GB should consider packing some picks up to move up in the draft.

Is there any player that you think would not be there between a Packers pick you would like to see them move up to get? What would you give up to move up?

One guy I am thinking is Edgerrin Cooper. I think 25 might be a reach for him but not sure he's there at pick 41. So take pick 41 and GB's 4th round pick to move up in round 2 to get him.

One guy I am thinking is Edgerrin Cooper. I
i'm in agreement that edgerrin cooper would be a great fit for the packers. not sure where he's going to get picked. i've seen several mocks have him in the first round.

So with draft coming up. I have heard talk that GB does not need to make 11 picks in this draft and that 11 picks or more would not make this team and that GB should consider packing some picks up to move up in the draft.

Is there any player that you think would not be there between a Packers pick you would like to see them move up to get? What would you give up to move up?

One guy I am thinking is Edgerrin Cooper. I think 25 might be a reach for him but not sure he's there at pick 41. So take pick 41 and GB's 4th round pick to move up in round 2 to get him.

If they like Cooper at LB I'm all for a small move up for him.

I read and hear the same thing about there not being room for 11 guys on the roster, but those same folks will complain about the lack of depth or about mediocre UDFA's making the team. When you look at the 2-deep+ (not to mention the PS) you find that 11 spots aren't hard to fill at all and that ignores the fact that even in a terrific draft like the '22 draft, you miss on a guy or two that ends up getting cut so you don't need to find room for 11.

Here's the rundown of available spots:
QB x 1 Take one late unless you really believe in Mcgough
RB x 1 They clearly aren't sold on the guys after Jacobs so add a guy there.
OL x 2-3 They have one guy after the starters who's taken snaps and that's Newman, who isn't good. All we've seen of Jones, Telfort, and Tenuta is pre-season snaps against other team's scrubs. Plus, Meyers isn't a world beater and we have limited info on Rhyan. There's room for 2 high quality guys and a late developmental guy for the PS.
DL x 1 They could use a run stopper.
Edge x 1 With Enagbare likely out for a couple of months, and Smith likely in the last year of his deal, unless you are sold on Cox, there's room for one.
LB x 2 You are playing a 4-3 now. Even though you'll only be in base about 10-20% of snaps you need at least 4 guys capable of playing well from scrimmage to cover for injuries. You have 2-3 depending on how you feel about Eric Wilson. That leaves room for at least 1, and for me, I'd like 2, one in the first 3 rounds and one late.
CB x 1 You need at least 1. You have huge questions on Stokes plus Alexander can't stay healthy for a full season. I like Nixon, Valentine and Ballantine, but you easily have room for one more because I'm not crying if I have to cut Ballantine.
S x 2 Getting McKinney got rid of the immediate concern, but other than AJjr, I have little faith in Benny Sapp, Zayne Anderson, or Tyler Coyle. Sure, maybe you can re-sign Ford, but that still leaves room for 2 guys unless you really like one of those depth guys you already have.

I see room for 9 on the low side and 12 on the high side. If you can move up to take a difference maker, do it. If that option isn't there, make your 11 picks, the depth is not so great on this roster that you can't make room for the 9-10 picks who might be worthy of keeping. Plus with Love's CAP number going up a lot, you will need to constantly be looking for young guys to fill up the roster. My belief is that the only way to make that work is constantly drafting 8-10 players every year to up the odds of hitting on cheap young talent.

i'm in agreement that edgerrin cooper would be a great fit for the packers. not sure where he's going to get picked. i've seen several mocks have him in the first round.
the history of first round ILBs over the past ten years or so is pretty poor. even good players like R Smith an CJ Mosley wind up not being mainstays with the team that drafts them. GB has their own first round "meh" ILB already on their roster. it's an odd position, the league just doesn't seem to collectively know how to sort the best of them and I dont know if it's the best use of a valuable resource like a first rounder.

this is just one paragraph from an article on the athletic discussing players from the iowa hawkeyes football team that could be drafted this year:

Taylor: Plenty of teams have talked to him, formally and informally, beginning with the Senior Bowl and in Indianapolis. It’s not a stretch to see him either in the third or fourth round. Among the teams to watch include Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Chicago, Miami and New Orleans. He could be the NFL’s highest-drafted punter since third-rounder B.J. Sander in 2004.
of course packers fans will remember which team drafted the incredible b.j. sander in the 3rd round.

this is just one paragraph from an article on the athletic discussing players from the iowa hawkeyes football team that could be drafted this year:

of course packers fans will remember which team drafted the incredible b.j. sander in the 3rd round.
Yep he convinced our best GM ever Mike Sherman he other teams were really interested in him so Sherman thinking he had to get him took him in the 3rd round.

Though Taylor does look like a really good punter.

@AndyHermanNFL

The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016 - that's 7 consecutive drafts where it was involved in some type of trade. It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years.

Back