2024 Draft Thread

I'm just going with the numbers and history which says white guys don't play outside corner in the NFL. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just probably won't.

And honestly it doesn't matter for GB's purposes, they've been dying for a proper slot CB/S forever.
That's what was said in reverse a couple of decades ago, for QBs. Now, take a look around the league, and that's history. Maybe he'll break the mold. Hard to tell.

Trying my hand at a “Gutey style” draft. Massive size/speed DE, positional versatile OL, an RB and CB with great speed, and an ILB to toughen up the middle of the field. I know we need S but having trouble making it work.

IMG_3702.png

"rp" posted some draft thoughts in another thread and I kinda want to build on his thoughts.

I've been using several mock simulators and some value the top 2 safeties much higher than others. I think pick #41 would be better value but if they test well, I could see the Packers taking one at #25 because of how much they value athletic traits.

There is a pretty big group of CB options in the mid-to-late Rd1 area. Includes DeJean, McKinstry, Arnold, Wiggins, Mitchell, Lassiter, and Rakestraw. Of the 7, three give me pause. Rakestraw just had surgery and I'd want to be sure he's good medically. He along with Lassiter and Wiggins are also a little on the "slight" side. I mean Jaire was 195# at his height and these three are all under 190# and are 6' or taller. Not a deal breaker, just a concern if all other things are equal.

rp's post also reminded me that the Packers have a "type" at OL, so whether I like it or not, I'm no longer mocking guys that don't fit. Gute (and TT before him) likes them 6'4"- 6'6" and somewhere in the 300-325# range. They haven't deviated from those numbers in the draft in over a decade, so no more huge OL for me and no more guys under 6'4". That said there are several that fit and should be available at #25 or #41 including Fautanu, Barton, and Morgan. Maybe one makes sense at #25

Similarly, while they don't need an edge, I'm not excluding the possibility early but it has to be a guy with their desired size so only Latu, Verse, and Trice are prime fits in the first two rounds. If one of that group makes it to #25, I wouldn't put it past Gute to pull the trigger.

Of all these positions, CB is probably the second biggest need after safety and might have the best value at #25.

"rp" posted some draft thoughts in another thread and I kinda want to build on his thoughts.

I've been using several mock simulators and some value the top 2 safeties much higher than others. I think pick #41 would be better value but if they test well, I could see the Packers taking one at #25 because of how much they value athletic traits.

There is a pretty big group of CB options in the mid-to-late Rd1 area. Includes DeJean, McKinstry, Arnold, Wiggins, Mitchell, Lassiter, and Rakestraw. Of the 7, three give me pause. Rakestraw just had surgery and I'd want to be sure he's good medically. He along with Lassiter and Wiggins are also a little on the "slight" side. I mean Jaire was 195# at his height and these three are all under 190# and are 6' or taller. Not a deal breaker, just a concern if all other things are equal.

rp's post also reminded me that the Packers have a "type" at OL, so whether I like it or not, I'm no longer mocking guys that don't fit. Gute (and TT before him) likes them 6'4"- 6'6" and somewhere in the 300-325# range. They haven't deviated from those numbers in the draft in over a decade, so no more huge OL for me and no more guys under 6'4". That said there are several that fit and should be available at #25 or #41 including Fautanu, Barton, and Morgan. Maybe one makes sense at #25

Similarly, while they don't need an edge, I'm not excluding the possibility early but it has to be a guy with their desired size so only Latu, Verse, and Trice are prime fits in the first two rounds. If one of that group makes it to #25, I wouldn't put it past Gute to pull the trigger.

Of all these positions, CB is probably the second biggest need after safety and might have the best value at #25.
If GB takes any OL at 25 I think it would be Barton. GB likes their OL to play more then one spot on the OL. Barton can play OT,OC,OG.

I think they'd do cartwheels if DeJean was there. The other guy I wonder about if he fell a little is that Center from Oregon, Powers-Johnson. Not their type but powerful, agile center, could really change the character of the whole OL and Myers is going into his last year.

For the corners I know Rakestraw is a little slight but at the end of the first maybe they break that mould a little. He's a sh!t talker like Jaire was and I have to imagine the DB coach they just hired as DC would go wild for that stuff. Heard the opposite about McKinstry, that's he's a little soft tackling but on the other hand I can't imagine a guy who played for Saban could be that bad. Mitchell getting a lot of hype now as possible top 15, so we'll see.

The last mock I tried I threw Darius Robinson up there as an edge prospect (I agree with you about Trice - total GB type, like Tryon was a few years ago) - Robinson was at the senior bowl and did well, and he's 6'5 ~300lbs as a DE and that doesn't grow on trees. I feel like Gute takes after TT in that regard and just wants to snap those guys up.

I think they'd do cartwheels if DeJean was there. The other guy I wonder about if he fell a little is that Center from Oregon, Powers-Johnson. Not their type but powerful, agile center, could really change the character of the whole OL and Myers is going into his last year.

For the corners I know Rakestraw is a little slight but at the end of the first maybe they break that mould a little. He's a sh!t talker like Jaire was and I have to imagine the DB coach they just hired as DC would go wild for that stuff. Heard the opposite about McKinstry, that's he's a little soft tackling but on the other hand I can't imagine a guy who played for Saban could be that bad. Mitchell getting a lot of hype now as possible top 15, so we'll see.

The last mock I tried I threw Darius Robinson up there as an edge prospect (I agree with you about Trice - total GB type, like Tryon was a few years ago) - Robinson was at the senior bowl and did well, and he's 6'5 ~300lbs as a DE and that doesn't grow on trees. I feel like Gute takes after TT in that regard and just wants to snap those guys up.
I agree that they likely would pull the trigger on DeJean if he's there at #25. You kind of see him all over the place based on how people view him. Some feel he can be a true outside corner, others think he's more of a hybrid safety/big nickel corner. All of the rest of the CBs have things to recommend them as well.

I've taken Rakestraw in simulator mocks a number of times because he loves playing press man and is good at it. His size doesn't rule him out because he's got the attitude you need, but you have to think about it. One profile on him said: "Concerns remain about his play strength vs larger wideouts and one-on-one tackling in open-field opportunities. Aggressive and willing tackler but has instances of diving at ankles, although I expect it should improve quickly. Improved strength should come in due time, also."

I personally think Powers-Johnson would be a fine choice, especially if he makes if to #41, but until Gute pulls the trigger on a shorter guy, I don't see it.

I haven't really looked much at Robinson because I was looking at him as more of an interior guy, maybe wrongly so. If he can play outside that's a whole other ballgame. I've been mostly ignoring inside guys because to me unless they're "really special" I don't see them giving you much more than Wyatt, Wooden, Brooks and Clark. My d-line guy is quickly becoming T'Vondre Sweat. Not sure how he fits for the new DC, but he brings something different in terms of size and ability to stop the run. Could rotate with Slaton and even pair with him in certain situations. No more midget lines in short yardage or goal-line situations.

Back