With Their Pick In Round 5 gb Selects Brett Hundley QB UCLA

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
In 2014, selected second-team All-Pac-12, was a Davey O'Brien Award semifinalist, was named a team captain and started 13 games for the Bruins. Led the team with 10 rushing touchdowns. Became the first UCLA quarterback to win 9-plus games in three consecutive seasons. Finished his career as the all-time leader in UCLA history with 75 touchdowns and 11,677 total yards. Started every game in 2013 and was selected honorable mention All-Pac-12. Named Co-MVP of Sun Bowl. Became first player in school history to throw, catch and run for a touchdown in a game (vs. Utah). Selected honorable mention All-Pac-12 as 14-game starter in 2012, setting school records for completions, passing yards and total offense. Named Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year in 2009 at Chandler High School. Named SuperPrep Farwest Offensive Player of the Year.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Well-built with frame sturdy enough to handle rigors of the position. Asked to get through progressions and make decisions. Willing to stand in and take the hit when he zeroes in on his target. Willing to get take downfield shot and give his receiver a chance to make the play. Has the ability to maneuver inside of pocket to buy time. Poised enough from pocket. Has adequate release and enough arm when he sits down on his throws. Above-average foot quickness to escape pocket. Hit 57-yard playaction touchdown from under center against Washington in 2014 (just seven attempts under center all year). Good sense of pocket pressure and is decisive when he decides to bolt. Dangerous as a runner with enough speed to hit a big play on the ground. Dual-threat ability increases his effectiveness in red zone. Displays his toughness almost every time out.
WEAKNESSES
Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 4 or 5
SOURCES TELL US
"Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout
NFL COMPARISON
Jason Campbell
BOTTOM LINE
Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter.

We'll see MM work his QB magic with this young man.

Just looking at that video, seems like he doesn't see a lot of open receivers. He also does not have a fluid throwing motion, very stiff looking. Seems to take off running a lot too. Stared down a lot of his receivers, won't work in the NFL.

An this is the definition of a downright horrible pick.

Have to admit I don't get this pick. Just wait around and see what's available when it's your time to pick. There was no need to trade up. (That said, I don't think losing a 7th matters much.) Hundley just doesn't do anything very well. He does have a strong arm and is a decent athlete, but beyond that I don't see the skills. I can't see him beating out Tolzien, who's nothing special either.

Trading up makes no sense, he might be someone that can be taught( doubt it) but think we had bigger needs that should have been filled here. tc(rt(

Not sure what to make of this draft and this pick sort of fits with the m.o. as I see it. Not sure why they traded up but I guess we'll see how he develops.

I consider Tolzien the worst backup in the league. So while Hundley is a project it won't take much to bet out Tolzien.

Ya I don't get it either.. There must be enough there that MM said he could work with him... But I don't get moving up to get him.. Also means we have 3 QB's on roster again.

This just doesn't make sense to me at all... Is he really that much better than any ther QB we could have got later? sh))

Gotta say, I like day 3. I get this pick. Take an athlete, make him into a QB. Really didn't see anyone else around that was great value wise at that point, so take this guy and work with him for 2-3 seasons and see what's what.

Back