With Their Pick In Round 5 gb Selects Brett Hundley QB UCLA

We had a great QB convo yesterday. My opinion: This is the indication of starting path from the Packers organization to begin the apprentice(s) - ship program for two reasons: Get it done before Master Journeyman QB A Rodgers would be injured for some weeks that would require Packers not to be short on QB anymore and their signal that they are beginning to plan ahead for when A Rodgers cannot play anymore at all. I realize no one want to hear that second reason, let alone a person (like me) have the gall to say it out loud. I did yesterday and am here today. Packers organization might roll through a few QB (apprentices) before they get "the one" that will come after ARodg. We know ARodg is "all that" as a QB and everybody is greatly attached and loyal. I do too, this post is not about betraying that loyalty or belief in ARodg at all. It is about the Packers have signaled they are looking at long term team QB planning. - Kaye

Hundley has zero upside. No pocket awareness, has major issues past the first progressions and even with his athletic ability is a sack machine. He wil be inactive for 16 weeks in 2015. Just a bad puck

I consider Tolzien the worst backup in the league. So while Hundley is a project it won't take much to bet out Tolzien.
Hundley will be inactive for 16 weeks. Book it

Hundley will be inactive for 16 weeks. Book it

That's pretty much a given. Sad thing is that some team is probably crazy enough to grab him off our PS. So he will be taking up a spot on the 53 while being a guaranteed inactive. That's just not good IMO. Plus I head that NE actually called GB and asked to trade down in the 5th and TT said OK.

so, i get that you don't like him atlanta, but i don't think he's quite as horrible as you make him sound. he's a 3-year starter with the 17th highest career completion percentage in the ncaa for all qbs since 1956. his ncaa career passer efficiency rating is the 6th highest in pac-12 history. his nfl passer rating for the past three years would have been higher than rodgers. he set the ucla record for career touchdowns and career total yards. you don't attain those kinds of results if you're horrible.

i agree that he needs a lot of work. he's fortunate to have been selected by a team that has the luxury of being able to let him ride the bench for a couple years.

having said all that, I did not like the pick, and liked it even less given that we traded up to get him.

so, i get that you don't like him atlanta, but i don't think he's quite as horrible as you make him sound. he's a 3-year starter with the 17th highest career completion percentage in the ncaa for all qbs since 1956. his ncaa career passer efficiency rating is the 6th highest in pac-12 history. his nfl passer rating for the past three years would have been higher than rodgers. he set the ucla record for career touchdowns and career total yards. you don't attain those kinds of results if you're horrible.

i agree that he needs a lot of work. he's fortunate to have been selected by a team that has the luxury of being able to let him ride the bench for a couple years.

having said all that, I did not like the pick, and liked it even less given that we traded up to get him.

Stats are very misleading. Very poor , and that's brung kind pocket awareness. A sack machine. Can't read progressions / coverage. I still shake my head on this one. Trade up for a 2-3 year project

stats can be misleading - but not that misleading. you don't complete 67.6% of your passes over a three year period if you suck. you don't throw for 22 touchdowns versus 5 interceptions if you can't read coverage. you don't complete over 270 passes for 3,155 yards to a dozen different receivers - none of whom had 1,000 yards - if you are not going through your progressions. i realize that he did not play in a pro-style offense and was rarely under center, so he has some major adjustments to make to play in the nfl. but by all appearances he has the physical tools to make the transition.

Well ok ... let's review : From SI >
Played in a shotgun offense, and while that isn't a liability in the NFL anymore, Hundley's familiarity with a relatively simple play-calling system will be. Tends to lock on to his first receiver too often, will telegraph his reads, and will struggle further with turnovers in the NFL, when coverage windows are smaller. Drops from passing to running under pressure too often, and needs to default to keeping his eyes on his targets when on the run. Slightly hitchy delivery that leads to inconsistencies in ball placement. Needs to develop as a pure pocket passer. Takes too many sacks and needs to speed up his internal clock. Not an anticipation thrower—needs open pockets to consistently succeed. Runs into trouble when trying to read more complex coverages.

former NFL personnel executive Greg Gabriel
Hundley does not have the instincts to be a good NFL QB

ESPN producer Ben Fennell
I would be shocked if he was drafted.. Certainly someone will take a flier and bring him to camp. But he's an alarmingly bad passer

a Scout from a AFC club :
The criticisms that have been leveled against this young man are legitimate when you watch him play. Pressure encourages more pressure in the game of football where coaches are looking to attack your weak points, and to see that Utah game plan bring pressure over and over to trouble and confuse Hundley was a thing of beauty for defensive coaching and led to a staggering 10 sacks. He holds the ball until he likes his target, but he also doesn't seem to throw guys open or anticipate lanes, so he waits and invariably gets sacked. If he had a better offensive line, perhaps this would change, but for someone who moves so well as an athlete, he has an alarming lack of pocket presence that may not be something that develops. Then, when he gets hit, the ball often comes loose and this is also a major issue. He doesn't throw many interceptions, but he threw a couple Pick-6s in these games because he threw hopeful passes with poor footwork into traffic and it bit him. He will play very well and then break your heart.

List goes on...and on

So yes sorry ya'll this kid and his numbers are bit poodo in the PAC12. I agree with those saying at best you try and make him serviceable and flip him.... but no pocket presence.. no internal clock...poor footwork etc that's a hard pill to swallow.

I get the pick but stand but what I said on draft day..you could have waited he would have been there at the bottom of 5.

Here is the bottom line... Tolzien is your backup and Hundley gets to hold the clipboard this season. sb(tc(

ok. as i said, i wasn't a fan of the pick, so i'm not going to get into an argument over it. he's extremely athletic and by all accounts a pretty smart guy. let's hope we can work with that.

Back